News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Score some fucking runs thread  ( 134,152 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Score some fucking runs thread
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2009, 12:53:11 PM »
Quote from: Apexx on May 29, 2009, 11:31:57 AM
Quote from: Jon on May 29, 2009, 11:29:00 AM
Quote from: Eli on May 29, 2009, 11:27:01 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 29, 2009, 11:15:08 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 29, 2009, 11:07:31 AM
At some point, when a team is struggling, the "stars" have got to be the ones to put the team on their back.
With Aramis out and Milton apparently not very good at baseball, that leaves Soriano.
He's not very good at baseball, either.  He does get 3 or 4 hitting spurts a year that last a week or so that fake everyone out, but he remains an awful, awful baseball player. I'm a parody of myself!  Yay!

FYC'd.

Internet Chuck is my favorite fictional character.

He fucked a barrel full of rice and got it pregnant. A big pile of rice popped out.

Pex, I appreciate you trying to keep it fresh, but you've gotta dump this bit. 

It's bombing.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2009, 12:54:50 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 29, 2009, 12:23:35 PM
Quote from: Brownie on May 29, 2009, 12:15:49 PM
Al Yellon: "Hoffpauir sucked during his September callup if you exclude the games where he got hits."

Chuck: "Soriano was is terrible unless you include the once-a every-other-month week-and-a-half spurts where he's the best hitter you'd see anywhere which makes him tolerable so long as you ignore his defense."

Question about your avatar, did the cubs install an actual vending machine in their dugout?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2009, 12:55:46 PM »
Al Yellon: "Hoffpauir sucked during his September callup if you exclude the games where he got hits."

Chuck: "Soriano was is terrible unless you include the once-a every-other-month week-and-a-half spurts where he's the best hitter you'd see anywhere which makes him tolerable so long as you ignore his defense."

You really think that his defensive shortcomings overcome his offensive skills?  Luckily, they make statistics on fielding too. 

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/soriaal01-field.shtml

Let's take 2008 as an example. If you want to use fielding percentage, his was .975 versus league average .985 in LF.  A little below average.  The Rtot, which is a comprehensive runs above average statistic, was 1.7.  i.e, he CREATED 1.7 runs above average during the year with his defense.  At least, you'd have to call him an average fielder, unless you want to ignore all numerical evidence and go with the Gary Hughes method. 

In summary: above average on offense, average to above average on defense.  That does not equal awful, awful.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2009, 12:56:57 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on May 29, 2009, 12:55:46 PM

You really think that his defensive shortcomings overcome his offensive skills?  Luckily, they make statistics on fielding too.  

Let's take 2008 as an example. If you want to use fielding percentage, his was .975 versus league average .985 in LF.  A little below average.  The Rtot, which is a comprehensive runs above average statistic, was 1.7.  i.e, he CREATED 1.7 runs above average during the year with his defense.  At least, you'd have to call him an average fielder, unless you want to ignore all numerical evidence and go with the Gary Hughes method.  

In summary: above average on offense, average to above average on defense.  That does not equal awful, awful.

Rebuttal: Dave Kingman

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »

You really think that his defensive shortcomings overcome his offensive skills?  Luckily, they make statistics on fielding too. 

Let's take 2008 as an example. If you want to use fielding percentage, his was .975 versus league average .985 in LF.  A little below average.  The Rtot, which is a comprehensive runs above average statistic, was 1.7.  i.e, he CREATED 1.7 runs above average during the year with his defense.  At least, you'd have to call him an average fielder, unless you want to ignore all numerical evidence and go with the Gary Hughes method. 

In summary: above average on offense, average to above average on defense.  That does not equal awful, awful.

Baseball Reference does not track one's TORP rating.

Apexx

• Apul is edad.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2009, 01:11:40 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 29, 2009, 12:53:11 PM
Quote from: Apexx on May 29, 2009, 11:31:57 AM
Quote from: Jon on May 29, 2009, 11:29:00 AM
Quote from: Eli on May 29, 2009, 11:27:01 AM
At some point, when a team is struggling, the "stars" have got to be the ones to put the team on their back.
With Aramis out and Milton apparently not very good at baseball, that leaves Soriano.
He's not very good at baseball, either.  He does get 3 or 4 hitting spurts a year that last a week or so that fake everyone out, but he remains an awful, awful baseball player. I'm a parody of myself!  Yay!

FYC'd.

Internet Chuck is my favorite fictional character.

He fucked a barrel full of rice and got it pregnant. A big pile of rice popped out.

Pex, I appreciate you trying to keep it fresh, but you've gotta dump this bit. 

It's bombing.

:(
The Thirteenth Tenet of Pexism: Internet Apex is the id barking at you and you deserve everything you get from it.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2009, 01:48:22 PM »
He's not very good at baseball, either.  He does get 3 or 4 hitting spurts a year that last a week or so that fake everyone out, but he remains an awful, awful baseball player.

God damn, you're dumb about baseball.  No wonder you and Kaplan only have each other as "sources."
Hire Jim Essian!

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
How can we fail to get a bunch of runs with today's lineup?  Scales at third.  Fontenot at second.  Blanco at short.  Hill catching.  Oh yeah.  Lee at first and Soriano in left.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2009, 02:38:16 PM »
According to my baseball mainframe, over the last 67 non-Pirate innings this offense has scored 6 stinking runs. Woof.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2009, 02:41:54 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 29, 2009, 02:05:04 PM
How can we fail to get a bunch of runs with today's lineup?  Scales at third.  Fontenot at second.  Blanco at short.  Hill catching.  Oh yeah.  Lee at first and Soriano in left.
I got excited for a second.  I thought you said Soriano left.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: May 29, 2009, 02:48:28 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 29, 2009, 02:05:04 PM

HOFFPOWAKER IN RF DUMMIEESZZZZ

PS:  I didn't quite know where to put this, but being a regular skimmer of Rotoworld I sometimes notice that they can bring the chuckle from time to time.  They had to say this about Andres Blanco's hitting:

"Ryan Theriot was held out of Friday's lineup with flu-like symptoms.

Andres Blanco will start in his place at shortstop. Keep in mind, however, that Blanco suffers at the plate from Rey Ordonez-like symptoms."

ZING!
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: May 29, 2009, 04:19:45 PM »
Nevertheless.  We gave them a sound thrashing!
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: May 29, 2009, 04:39:09 PM »

You mean he created runs for opponents, right?

Seriously, how can someone with a below average fielding percentage be considered above average?

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: May 29, 2009, 04:45:12 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on May 29, 2009, 04:39:09 PM

Seriously, how can someone with a below average fielding percentage be considered above average?

No, he created runs for the Cubs above an average left fielder.  Fielding percentage is a deeply flawed statistic, as any statfaggot will tell you.  Even if you do think it works to differentiate good fielders from bad, .975 is not statistically significantly different from .985 anyway... so call him average in the field if you like.  Chuck's contention is that he's so awful in the field that his above average offense is overcome.  I have proven here that Chuck is wrong.  Rule 10.17(c) applies.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: May 29, 2009, 04:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Bonk on May 29, 2009, 04:39:09 PM

Maybe because he throws out a shitload of runners?