News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Jason Hammel Return Postage Paid, Spiral-Sliced Splooge Thread  ( 13,581 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Jason Hammel Return Postage Paid, Spiral-Sliced Splooge Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 11:43:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 03, 2015, 11:18:55 AM
Quote from: Eli on June 02, 2015, 08:24:15 AM
Quote from: PANK! on June 02, 2015, 05:47:46 AM
I'll hop on this trolley.

In some ways Hammel's success has been pivotal to the Cubs' early-season nominal contention, as that rotation has hinged on the expected positivity of Lester & Arrieta (though neither has been consistently dominant and Hammel may well have better #'s right now) and the giant sucking sound that had been emanating from Hendricks and Wood shitting the tub in slots #4 & #5.  Now that we're into June and Hendricks seems to have righted the ship and Wada has been a solid improvement on Wood (still holding my breath on both of those developments) it'd sure be something if Hammel could keep this up.  But even if he couldn't, this team can stand a little of his regression anyway.  It's the least they could do to pick him up after he's done more than his part until now.

The exercise of throwing Chris Bosio's name around for any pitcher attached to the Cubs is a bit tired by now, but there may be something to it with Hammel. He was fantastic before the trade, mediocre with the A's, and now he's back to being fantastic. I wonder if his repertoire just happens to fit perfectly with Bosio's approach.

Maybe we should put Snork on the list of guys Bosio wizard'd

Don't. It might lead people, including Snork, to think it's a good idea to welcome him back. And we can't let the terrorists win.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 12:21:32 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 03, 2015, 11:43:57 AM

In some ways Hammel's success has been pivotal to the Cubs' early-season nominal contention, as that rotation has hinged on the expected positivity of Lester & Arrieta (though neither has been consistently dominant and Hammel may well have better #'s right now) and the giant sucking sound that had been emanating from Hendricks and Wood shitting the tub in slots #4 & #5.  Now that we're into June and Hendricks seems to have righted the ship and Wada has been a solid improvement on Wood (still holding my breath on both of those developments) it'd sure be something if Hammel could keep this up.  But even if he couldn't, this team can stand a little of his regression anyway.  It's the least they could do to pick him up after he's done more than his part until now.

The exercise of throwing Chris Bosio's name around for any pitcher attached to the Cubs is a bit tired by now, but there may be something to it with Hammel. He was fantastic before the trade, mediocre with the A's, and now he's back to being fantastic. I wonder if his repertoire just happens to fit perfectly with Bosio's approach.

Don't. It might lead people, including Snork, to think it's a good idea to welcome him back. And we can't let the terrorists win.

I can put it to rest for you: Bosio was here in 2013 when Snork sucked balls. Let's just be grateful for that sub-3 ERA Snork put up the first half of last year which netted us Barry Damn Larkin Jr. in return.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
Whatever Rondon does with this lead, bump for a hell of an effort by Hammel.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 02:47:54 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 03, 2015, 11:43:57 AM

Jon Wolter likes this.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 10:42:43 PM »
Can I get Huey to rule if outlasting Zack Greinke is bump worthy ?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 11:03:47 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 23, 2015, 10:42:43 PM

Huey mentioned to the people in his section that it would be great if Hammel could just give the boys down in the pen the day off with a CG, so now Hammel has to ride with Wood on Huard's Tandem Troncycle of Disappointment.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 07:49:50 AM »

Was planning on bumping it last night (too tired) and again this morning (too run-around-y); surprised it hadn't been bumped to be honest.

He was absolutely nails through 6.  Ran out of gas quickly but that was such a needed performance after they used so much bullpen Monday.

Funny, in the last week 2 different people had asked me who the Cubs' ace was (or who would start in a 1-game playoff, rest being equal)-- Arrieta or Lester?  And then Hammel comes around to remind us that he's very nearly enjoying an ace-like season thus far himself.  When Lester currently ranks third, these are heady times.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »
I don't know if wearing a Cubs uniform gives Hammel superpowers or what but my god he's downright excellent as a Cub. I'm glad he wanted to come back.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 24, 2015, 07:49:50 AM

Was planning on bumping it last night (too tired) and again this morning (too run-around-y); surprised it hadn't been bumped to be honest.

He was absolutely nails through 6.  Ran out of gas quickly but that was such a needed performance after they used so much bullpen Monday that fucking pussy Travis Wood only pitched 3.1 innings of 1-hit, scoreless ball, picking up the win, to well and truly leave his teammates twisting in the wind.

Funny, in the last week 2 different people had asked me who the Cubs' ace was (or who would start in a 1-game playoff, rest being equal)-- Arrieta or Lester?  And then Hammel comes around to remind us that he's very nearly enjoying an ace-like season thus far himself.  When Lester currently ranks third, these are heady times.

Huebited
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 09:03:39 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 24, 2015, 08:57:07 AM

He was absolutely nails through 6.  Ran out of gas quickly but that was such a needed performance after they used so much bullpen Monday that fucking pussy Travis Wood only pitched 3.1 innings of 1-hit, scoreless ball, picking up the win, to well and truly leave his teammates twisting in the wind.

Huebited

I thought about doing that but I've been struck with too much ennui as it pertains to the matter to keep stick-poking that bear.  I also didn't want to distract from the awesomeness that has been Hammel.  Thanks, Tonk.  Thanks a lot.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 09:06:29 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 24, 2015, 09:03:39 AM
Quote from: Tonker on June 24, 2015, 08:57:07 AM

Huebited

I thought about doing that but I've been struck with too much ennui as it pertains to the matter to keep stick-poking that bear.  I also didn't want to distract from the awesomeness that has been Hammel.  Thanks, Tonk.  Thanks a lot.

Ha.  Any time, old chum.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 09:42:29 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on June 24, 2015, 08:54:56 AM
I don't know if wearing a Cubs uniform gives Hammel superpowers or what but my god he's downright excellent as a Cub. I'm glad he wanted to come back.
My sons are A's fans and were really happy to see him leave.  They are convinced it is the uniform.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 11:56:52 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 23, 2015, 11:03:47 PM

Huey mentioned to the people in his section that it would be great if Hammel could just give the boys down in the pen the day off with a CG, so now Hammel has to ride with Wood on Huard's Tandem Troncycle of Disappointment.

I just wanted to validate this.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 11:57:58 AM »
Quote from: Bort on June 24, 2015, 11:56:52 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on June 23, 2015, 11:03:47 PM

I just wanted to validate this.

Double stamped

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 12:03:14 PM »
I just feel so much pity for the poor people in Huey's section. When he's not yelling at them for standing up or not paying the fuck attention he's loudly informing them that Travis Wood's solid showing in long relief doesn't merit their worthless adoration.