News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2012 Chicago Cubs  ( 86,460 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2012 Chicago Cubs
« Reply #330 on: May 15, 2012, 10:52:32 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on May 15, 2012, 09:39:45 AM
Quote from: Eli on May 15, 2012, 09:23:55 AM
Quote from: R-V on May 15, 2012, 09:20:18 AM
But seriously guys, that Castro bunt was troubling. Sveum's postgame rationale actually made me more angry.

He's just experimenting so everything is perfect for next year's 98-win season.

All the bunting somehow turned into CHAOS and HAVOC and the Cubs won the game. Castro's bunt was the worst bunt of the year according to Joe Sheehan who is smart and it resulted in a run despite the odds of the Cubs scoring a run going way down after the bunt was complete and Castro made an out.

The Joe Mather's bunt led to SHENANIGANS and naturally another run.

I feel like the baseball universe rewarded Sveum for his terrible decisions and he's going to keep doing it.
This gives me pause.

That sounds like Dusty.  Guh.

Also, I agree that DALES WAIMstink is not long for the job, but he's serviceable.  He is to the Theo regime what Lee Elia was to the Green regime.  Point A to Point B kinda guy (with apologies to Jerry Reinsdorf for use of said expression).  Maybe we'll be treated to memorable diatribe after a mid-May loss next season, greasing the skids for his exit, and allowing the next guy (the "Jim Frey", if you will...manager verison, definitely not the GM version) to lead our KUBBIEZ to glory.  Can I get a ruling on this, TJ Brown?

I realizes this pushes the Big Picture plan back to Chuck's 2014 (and I hate to miss out on a good dogpile on Chuck) but really--just because they can compete for the Short Bus Central doesn't mean they're really ready to do some serious shit so soon, does it?  With those contracts?  If they can rid themsleves of some of those  deals by next April,  then sure but otherwise I'd be surprised if they were legit as soon as next year.  

The point is, they don't totally suck at present and that's good enough for now...no?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: May 15, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
DPD (and FYBH)--

As we're all generally okay with the current state of affairs, it sure would be nice to have a Gamecast for today's tilt, wouldn't it?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: May 15, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 15, 2012, 10:52:32 AM
I realizes this pushes the Big Picture plan back to Chuck's 2014 (and I hate to miss out on a good dogpile on Chuck) but really--just because they can compete for the Short Bus Central doesn't mean they're really ready to do some serious shit soon, does it?  With those contracts?  If they can rid themsleves of some of those  deals by next April,  then sure but otherwise I'd be surprised if they were legit as soon as next year.  

The Cardinals have won two titles simply by competing in the Short Bus Central. Make the playoffs and that's all that matters.

And the contracts aren't too unmanageable. Here's how their commitments break down in coming years.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: May 15, 2012, 11:01:09 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 15, 2012, 11:00:17 AM
I realizes this pushes the Big Picture plan back to Chuck's 2014 (and I hate to miss out on a good dogpile on Chuck) but really--just because they can compete for the Short Bus Central doesn't mean they're really ready to do some serious shit soon, does it?  With those contracts?  If they can rid themsleves of some of those  deals by next April,  then sure but otherwise I'd be surprised if they were legit as soon as next year.  

The Cardinals have won two titles simply by competing in the Short Bus Central. Make the playoffs and that's all that matters.

And the contracts aren't too unmanageable. Here's how their commitments break down in coming years.

Yeah I thought of the Cardinals and their two cheapo titles in the last 10 years it didn't alter my argument--it just made me sad and angry.  Thanks for nuttin'.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
Also, I agree that DALES WAIMstink is not long for the job, but he's serviceable.  He is to the Theo regime what Lee Elia was to the Green regime.  Point A to Point B kinda guy (with apologies to Jerry Reinsdorf for use of said expression).  Maybe we'll be treated to memorable diatribe after a mid-May loss next season, greasing the skids for his exit, and allowing the next guy (the "Jim Frey", if you will...manager verison, definitely not the GM version) to lead our KUBBIEZ to glory.  Can I get a ruling on this, TJ Brown?

Sveum fits the mold of Elia: hitting coach who worked for the GM, middle infielder who once played for the White Sox, somewhat fiery, not attached to any of the clowns here... But we will see. Tito is getting tanned and rested watching baseball and not being Joe Morgan or Bobby Valentine every Sunday. Still, I don't think Epstein will want another managerial vacancy to get another "WE SHOULD OF HIRED THAT CARL SANDBURG FOR THE JOB" controversy... unless Theo's intent is to bring Sandberg in when the team is not inevitably sucky.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: May 15, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »

I really wish there were some magical situation where the Cubs tell Alfonso Soriano to just go away.  Just please go and never come back.  I'm sure you're an okay guy and all, and you berry lucky to play the baseball, but just not here anymore.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: May 15, 2012, 11:11:43 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 15, 2012, 11:07:13 AM
Also, I agree that DALES WAIMstink is not long for the job, but he's serviceable.  He is to the Theo regime what Lee Elia was to the Green regime.  Point A to Point B kinda guy (with apologies to Jerry Reinsdorf for use of said expression).  Maybe we'll be treated to memorable diatribe after a mid-May loss next season, greasing the skids for his exit, and allowing the next guy (the "Jim Frey", if you will...manager verison, definitely not the GM version) to lead our KUBBIEZ to glory.  Can I get a ruling on this, TJ Brown?

Sveum fits the mold of Elia: hitting coach who worked for the GM, middle infielder who once played for the White Sox, somewhat fiery, not attached to any of the clowns here... But we will see. Tito is getting tanned and rested watching baseball and not being Joe Morgan or Bobby Valentine every Sunday. Still, I don't think Epstein will want another managerial vacancy to get another "WE SHOULD OF HIRED THAT CARL SANDBURG FOR THE JOB" controversy... unless Theo's intent is to bring Sandberg in when the team is not inevitably sucky.

Well even Ryno could elect to not start his ace on a 15-game winning streak for a clinching game.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: May 15, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 15, 2012, 11:10:48 AM

I really wish there were some magical situation where the Cubs tell Alfonso Soriano to just go away.  Just please go and never come back.  I'm sure you're an okay guy and all, and you berry lucky to play the baseball, but just not here anymore.

I'd rather have Soriano's money in the bank, but seeing as that's not going to happen whichever way this goes, I'm fine with Soriano where he is.  It's not like he's dogging it, and it's not his fault Jim Hendry was a dribbling idiot, is it?  If you can trade him for useful parts, great, and if you can't, well, never mind.

I don't know what the fuck's wrong with me at the moment.  I'm being all tolerant and shit.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: May 15, 2012, 11:19:11 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 15, 2012, 11:14:35 AM

I really wish there were some magical situation where the Cubs tell Alfonso Soriano to just go away.  Just please go and never come back.  I'm sure you're an okay guy and all, and you berry lucky to play the baseball, but just not here anymore.

I'd rather have Soriano's money in the bank, but seeing as that's not going to happen whichever way this goes, I'm fine with Soriano where he is.  It's not like he's dogging it, and it's not his fault Jim Hendry was a dribbling idiot, is it?  If you can trade him for useful parts, great, and if you can't, well, never mind.

I don't know what the fuck's wrong with me at the moment.  I'm being all tolerant and shit.

Plus getting rid of Soriano at any cost right now means the clamoring for Rizzo from the mass of idiots who hadn't even heard of him 6 months ago when Rizzo is perfectly fine hitting the snot out of the ball in the sticks (which he's not doing as insanely as he was in April anyway--all the more reason to chill) intensifies, making our collective sacks itch.  Yeah, so they've got an 18 million dollar singles hitter in left.  They'd suck right now as much without him.  They're winning games and besides--every time Soriano does as little as bloop a flair for an RBI single we'll always have FYC.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: May 15, 2012, 11:21:48 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 15, 2012, 11:19:11 AM

I really wish there were some magical situation where the Cubs tell Alfonso Soriano to just go away.  Just please go and never come back.  I'm sure you're an okay guy and all, and you berry lucky to play the baseball, but just not here anymore.

Plus getting rid of Soriano at any cost right now means the clamoring for Rizzo from the mass of idiots who hadn't even heard of him 6 months ago when Rizzo is perfectly fine hitting the snot out of the ball in the sticks (which he's not doing as insanely as he was in April anyway--all the more reason to chill) intensifies, making our collective sacks itch.  Yeah, so they've got an 18 million dollar singles hitter in left.  They'd suck right now as much without him.  They're winning games and besides--every time Soriano does as little as bloop a flair for an RBI single we'll always have FYC.

I think if they manage to trade Soriano for a useful player (and anyone notice Kap was throwing around an inane idea like swapping Soriano for Beckett yesterday), it's an FYC.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: May 15, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on May 15, 2012, 11:21:48 AM

I think if they manage to trade Soriano for a useful player (and anyone notice Kap was throwing around an inane idea like swapping Soriano for Beckett yesterday), it's an FYC.

My favorite part about not paying attention to the Cubs is not paying attention to Kap.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: May 15, 2012, 11:37:30 AM »

Nah, I'm not so much clamoring for Rizzo as I am clamoring for no Soriano.  I know it might be unrealistic to expect the Cubs to make good on a deal for him, but at this point I would rather no Soriano that having Soriano.  As far as Rizzo, I trust TheoJed know what they are doing with him.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: May 15, 2012, 11:52:36 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 15, 2012, 11:37:30 AM

Nah, I'm not so much clamoring for Rizzo as I am clamoring for no Soriano.  I know it might be unrealistic to expect the Cubs to make good on a deal for him, but at this point I would rather no Soriano that having Soriano.  As far as Rizzo, I trust TheoJed know what they are doing with him.

Huey's just pissed because when Rizzo comes up, Lahair would take an OF spot, leaving even less room for Ryan Harvey, and Huey's left-to-right JO vortex will be crushed.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:35 AM »

I am indifferent to Soriano. When he signed, I knew it was going to be an albatross by now. However, Hendry turned Todd Hundley into Eric Karros and Mark Grudzielanek, two serviceable players. I will continue to hope for the same with Soriano.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: May 15, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »
Quote from: BH on May 15, 2012, 11:52:36 AM

Huey's just pissed because when Rizzo comes up, Lahair would take an OF spot, leaving even less room for Ryan Harvey, and Huey's left-to-right JO vortex will be crushed.

Or you could talk about the Cubs...

SPORTZ