News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Fuck Zorp You Stathead Turds  ( 79,209 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Fuck Zorp You Stathead Faggots
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2009, 11:52:30 PM »
Awesome interview with Brian Bannister.  In short, he's a statfag and he's used it to make himself a better pitcher.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/brian-bannister-tbd/

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
Could someone give me a primer on some of the sabermetric defensive stats, namely UZR?  I am attempting to argue that Jermaine Dye is a horrible defender and I feel that I cannot mount an objective defense.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2009, 01:34:50 AM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on August 12, 2009, 09:15:06 PM
Could someone give me a primer on some of the sabermetric defensive stats, namely UZR?  I am attempting to argue that Jermaine Dye is a horrible defender and I feel that I cannot mount an objective defense.

Pssst.

Nobody really knows what UZR is or what it does. One day, it was just there and so everyone kinda just went with it.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2009, 08:31:13 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on August 13, 2009, 01:34:50 AM

Nobody really knows what UZR is or what it does. One day, it was just there and so everyone kinda just went with it.

I kind of assumed that's how Fork showed up.
Take that, Adolf Eyechart.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
Could someone give me a primer on some of the sabermetric defensive stats, namely UZR?  I am attempting to argue that Jermaine Dye is a horrible defender and I feel that I cannot mount an objective defense.

I can take a stab at it:
Basically, Ultimate Zone Rating divides the field into a group of zones, using SS as an (simplistic) example you'd have a zone for grounders between SS and 3B, between SS and the bag at second, slow rollers, etc (these aren't the real zones, but the idea of it).  UZR then measures what percentage of plays a a player makes in each zone (converts them to an out) and compares them to an average.  A 0 UZR would be league average.

Basically, it is good at exposing players like a Jeter who generally have a high fielding percentage on plays to them, but don't have the range to get to anything versus a player who might have a few more errors, but is able to make plays on a significantly higher amount of plays.

Dye specifically, fan graphs would argue that his defense for his career has been pretty bad.

Main Criticisms of UZR:
Doesn't account for outfielder arm strength
Doesn't account for ability to turn double plays
Says Jeter is a bad SS (valid for Yankee's fans only)

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: August 13, 2009, 08:50:01 PM »
Quote from: Pre on August 13, 2009, 08:53:16 AM
Could someone give me a primer on some of the sabermetric defensive stats, namely UZR?  I am attempting to argue that Jermaine Dye is a horrible defender and I feel that I cannot mount an objective defense.

I can take a stab at it:
Basically, Ultimate Zone Rating divides the field into a group of zones, using SS as an (simplistic) example you'd have a zone for grounders between SS and 3B, between SS and the bag at second, slow rollers, etc (these aren't the real zones, but the idea of it).  UZR then measures what percentage of plays a a player makes in each zone (converts them to an out) and compares them to an average.  A 0 UZR would be league average.

Basically, it is good at exposing players like a Jeter who generally have a high fielding percentage on plays to them, but don't have the range to get to anything versus a player who might have a few more errors, but is able to make plays on a significantly higher amount of plays.

Dye specifically, fan graphs would argue that his defense for his career has been pretty bad.

Main Criticisms of UZR:

What the crap are you even talking about?  That's ridiculous, Pre.  I'd give a wedgie and stuff you in a locker if we were in high school and I was bigger than you and you're a nerd.  Still.  Every time I venture into this thread, I learn something new, though.  I learn who never played the game.  I mean, REALLY played the game.  Listen, pimples, if I wanna talk about zone defense, then I'll go to the On Hoops section.  If I wanna find out which desipiots didn't date until their Proactiv kicked in, then I'll come here.  If I wanna talk about guys that put everything they've got in America's pastime, then I'll probably just keep writing letters to Jim Leyland.  That guy smokes cigarettes.  And I bet he hates stats, too.  I'm not sure.  He hasn't written me back, yet.  He's probably too busy punchin' out statfags.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: August 13, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »
Quote from: JD on August 13, 2009, 08:50:01 PM

I can take a stab at it:

Main Criticisms of UZR:

What the crap are you even talking about?  That's ridiculous, Pre.  I'd give a wedgie and stuff you in a locker if we were in high school and I was bigger than you and you're a nerd.  Still.  Every time I venture into this thread, I learn something new, though.  I learn who never played the game.  I mean, REALLY played the game.  Listen, pimples, if I wanna talk about zone defense, then I'll go to the On Hoops section.  If I wanna find out which desipiots didn't date until their Proactiv kicked in, then I'll come here.  If I wanna talk about guys that put everything they've got in America's pastime, then I'll probably just keep writing letters to Jim Leyland.  That guy smokes cigarettes.  And I bet he hates stats, too.  I'm not sure.  He hasn't written me back, yet.  He's probably too busy punchin' out statfags.

I'd probably go gay for you, JD, but I'd still bone chicks because tits are sweet.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: August 13, 2009, 10:40:37 PM »
Quote from: JD on August 13, 2009, 08:50:01 PM

I can take a stab at it:

Main Criticisms of UZR:

Can we get sweaty and high 5 sometime?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: August 14, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »
JD is the new SKO.

"I'm just saying, penis aside, that broad had a tight fuckable body in that movie. Sans penis of course.." - A peek into *IAN's psyche

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2009, 08:51:17 AM »
Quote from: Jon on August 14, 2009, 08:48:18 AM
JD is the new SKO.

JD invented SKO.

Jon

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: August 14, 2009, 08:55:57 AM »

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: August 14, 2009, 10:21:17 AM »

I can take a stab at it:

Main Criticisms of UZR:

Additionally, I'm pretty sure that for part-time players it doesn't serve as an accurrate gauge as there's a +/- factor that could probably be refined a bit.
M'lady.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: October 08, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »
A gem from Derek Jeter:

"You can't mathematically figure out how everybody plays defense, otherwise you're just playing Nintendo."
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »
Zack Greinke: Statchugger

Quote"David DeJesus had our best zone rating," Bannister said, referring to the Royals' left fielder. "So a lot of times, Zack would pitch for a fly ball at our park instead of a ground ball, just because the zone rating was better in our outfield and it was a big park."

To that end, Bannister introduced Greinke to FIP, or Fielding Independent Pitching, the statistic Greinke named Tuesday as his favorite. It is a formula that measures how well a pitcher performed, regardless of his fielders. According to fangraphs.com, Greinke had the best FIP in the majors.

"That's pretty much how I pitch, to try to keep my FIP as low as possible," Greinke said.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2009, 08:41:13 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 18, 2009, 08:35:21 AM
Zack Greinke: Statchugger

Quote"David DeJesus had our best zone rating," Bannister said, referring to the Royals' left fielder. "So a lot of times, Zack would pitch for a fly ball at our park instead of a ground ball, just because the zone rating was better in our outfield and it was a big park."

To that end, Bannister introduced Greinke to FIP, or Fielding Independent Pitching, the statistic Greinke named Tuesday as his favorite. It is a formula that measures how well a pitcher performed, regardless of his fielders. According to fangraphs.com, Greinke had the best FIP in the majors.

"That's pretty much how I pitch, to try to keep my FIP as low as possible," Greinke said.

And notice how the Royals didn't win shit cuz ur stats r meaningless, faggot. FIP don't win no fuckin ballgames.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015