News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Bears vs. Lions Paulcast - Sunday September 12th, 2010  ( 30,504 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Bears vs. Lions Paulcast - Sunday September 12th, 2010
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 10:07:23 PM
Quote from: PenPho on September 13, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 05:49:04 PM
Quote from: Slaky on September 13, 2010, 04:43:18 PM
Quote from: Oleg on September 13, 2010, 04:33:28 PM
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 04:30:05 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 04:18:50 PM
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 04:12:08 PM
Quote from: fiveouts on September 13, 2010, 04:06:06 PM
Maybe it wasn't meatballness, but statfaggery that led to the decision to go for it on fourth down.

I'm not going to argue this. I had actually forgotten about this study, which came to light to me after hearing about this coach's tendency to never kick. If any argument is to be made is that this was maybe one of the times you should kick, to ensure you got the lead, but I rest my point. I feel beaten... by statfaggotry... Fuck

Eh. I still think that stat ignores that football doesn't exist in a void. The Lions had been stuffing the Bears in short yardage pretty effectively all day. You have to take that in consideration. Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to go for it on 4th down, but the play they used was awful, awful. Also, TRY THE FUCKING SNEAK.

Yea. That was what I thought they should have done in the first place*. Also, in regards to that story in SI. One thing I just remembered is that it's high school football. There is big differences in the kickers at that level and the NFL level. The yardage discrepancies may overcome the odds. I would think you'd need to have a pretty good team to do it too.

*thinking of the sneak, reminds me of a story from high school. Our freshman year, we were playing a game against a school that had a good freshman team and they were about 2x the size of our school, so they had 20 kids in the school. We used to run "QB sneak on the nudge" which was just a silent count, blocking was minimal from the line because he was past us within a yard or two. Late in the first half against them, it was 4th and 20. Our coach called that play, and our QB ran it in for a score from 45 yards out. I know the younger you are the more a stud athlete can dominate another team, but still, that play was nothing short of remarkable.

That's a terrible David Foster Wallace impersonation.

He forgot the part about his dad coming down to the basement while Yeti was watching TV and inexplicably exposing his genitals to him.

Also, it needed to be about 957 pages longer.

I think we can all agree that no Yeti post has ever needed to be longer.

I think it's clear I didn't think this through.

I had that one post that one time that was good.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2010, 10:29:04 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 10:27:18 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 10:07:23 PM
Quote from: PenPho on September 13, 2010, 05:50:36 PM
Quote from: Bort on September 13, 2010, 05:49:04 PM
Quote from: Slaky on September 13, 2010, 04:43:18 PM
Quote from: Oleg on September 13, 2010, 04:33:28 PM
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 04:30:05 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 13, 2010, 04:18:50 PM
Quote from: Yeti on September 13, 2010, 04:12:08 PM
Quote from: fiveouts on September 13, 2010, 04:06:06 PM
Maybe it wasn't meatballness, but statfaggery that led to the decision to go for it on fourth down.

I'm not going to argue this. I had actually forgotten about this study, which came to light to me after hearing about this coach's tendency to never kick. If any argument is to be made is that this was maybe one of the times you should kick, to ensure you got the lead, but I rest my point. I feel beaten... by statfaggotry... Fuck

Eh. I still think that stat ignores that football doesn't exist in a void. The Lions had been stuffing the Bears in short yardage pretty effectively all day. You have to take that in consideration. Maybe it wasn't a bad idea to go for it on 4th down, but the play they used was awful, awful. Also, TRY THE FUCKING SNEAK.

Yea. That was what I thought they should have done in the first place*. Also, in regards to that story in SI. One thing I just remembered is that it's high school football. There is big differences in the kickers at that level and the NFL level. The yardage discrepancies may overcome the odds. I would think you'd need to have a pretty good team to do it too.

*thinking of the sneak, reminds me of a story from high school. Our freshman year, we were playing a game against a school that had a good freshman team and they were about 2x the size of our school, so they had 20 kids in the school. We used to run "QB sneak on the nudge" which was just a silent count, blocking was minimal from the line because he was past us within a yard or two. Late in the first half against them, it was 4th and 20. Our coach called that play, and our QB ran it in for a score from 45 yards out. I know the younger you are the more a stud athlete can dominate another team, but still, that play was nothing short of remarkable.

That's a terrible David Foster Wallace impersonation.

He forgot the part about his dad coming down to the basement while Yeti was watching TV and inexplicably exposing his genitals to him.

Also, it needed to be about 957 pages longer.

I think we can all agree that no Yeti post has ever needed to be longer.

I think it's clear I didn't think this through.

I had that one post that one time that was good.

Parts anyway.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »
Larry Panozzo Mayer of the Bears and his eyebrows explain how the Calvin Johnson rule has screwed the Bears before and how we were told by the rest of the NFL world to shut up and drink our beer and watch football. After seeing the fake punt play, which I remember clearly, the rule actually makes sense to me, even if it means Detroit's economy will be devastated for years.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2010, 02:57:13 PM »
Out of sadistic curiosity I lurked at a Lion's site.  They overwhelmingly prevailing opinion is that the officials were paid off.  If they were, it must have been by the ghost of Arnold Rothstein, since nobody in the Bears' organization has it together enough to know how to do anything like that.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2010, 04:19:29 PM »
Hunter Hillenmeyer out for the year. Sorry, DadPex.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #200 on: September 14, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 14, 2010, 04:19:29 PM

Mrs. T.J. has lost interest in the Bears.

Seriously, I'm concerned what his illness is. Should James Caan gear up to play Rod Marinelli and Billy Dee Williams to play Lovie Smith in the sequel to Brian's Song starring Helen Hunt as the white player from a southern academic school somehow sticking on the Bears' roster yet getting overshadowed by his faster, blue chip counterpart who plays the same position. Of course the white player from the southern academic school will somehow convert to a position where his lack of speed isn't exposed and make the starting lineup for a couple years of glory with his teammate and pal who is a future Hall of Famer. There will be scenes with them eating dinner out and running in the park and working out in the basement and laughing about race (which will be weird because said teammate is also white). Of course we'll have the devastating season-ending injury for the blue-chip player so our white player from a southern academic school will get a full season in the sun as the starter at his old position. Our star player will be sullen and moody and introverted. But then the white player from a southern academic school will work with his buddy and rehab him and get him back healthy so the two are playing side by side again in what promises to be a breakout season for the Bears when a mysterious illness lurks...

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #201 on: September 14, 2010, 04:54:12 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 14, 2010, 04:39:00 PM

Seriously, I'm concerned what his illness is. Should James Caan gear up to play Rod Marinelli and Billy Dee Williams to play Lovie Smith in the sequel to Brian's Song starring Helen Hunt as the white player from a southern academic school somehow sticking on the Bears' roster yet getting overshadowed by his faster, blue chip counterpart who plays the same position. Of course the white player from the southern academic school will somehow convert to a position where his lack of speed isn't exposed and make the starting lineup for a couple years of glory with his teammate and pal who is a future Hall of Famer. There will be scenes with them eating dinner out and running in the park and working out in the basement and laughing about race (which will be weird because said teammate is also white). Of course we'll have the devastating season-ending injury for the blue-chip player so our white player from a southern academic school will get a full season in the sun as the starter at his old position. Our star player will be sullen and moody and introverted. But then the white player from a southern academic school will work with his buddy and rehab him and get him back healthy so the two are playing side by side again in what promises to be a breakout season for the Bears when a mysterious illness lurks...

Looks like a severe case of post concussion syndrome. That's tough. Good luck, Hunter.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #202 on: September 14, 2010, 05:07:25 PM »
Alas, no more Helen Huntermeyer references.  Alas.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #203 on: September 14, 2010, 05:24:29 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on September 14, 2010, 05:07:25 PM
Alas, no more Helen Huntermeyer references.  Alas.

Why not? Over the line? But seriously, that development makes the team slightly less-shitty following a game in which they didn't suck as bad as we feared. Now if something terrible can just happen to Craig Steltz, I'd say, "SUPA BEARS, SUPA BOWE! SUPA BEARS, SUPA BOWE!"
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #204 on: September 14, 2010, 05:28:53 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 14, 2010, 05:24:29 PM
Quote from: Indolent Reader on September 14, 2010, 05:07:25 PM
Alas, no more Helen Huntermeyer references.  Alas.

Why not? Over the line? But seriously, that development makes the team slightly less-shitty following a game in which they didn't suck as bad as we feared. Now if something terrible can just happen to Craig Steltz, I'd say, "SUPA BEARS, SUPA BOWE! SUPA BEARS, SUPA BOWE!"

I don't think that's over the line at all - I just figured he was going to retire and head up to the broadcast booth.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #205 on: September 14, 2010, 05:31:49 PM »
DPD. 

Bernstein is calling labor conspiracy (apparently HH did not want to be put on IR).

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #206 on: September 14, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 14, 2010, 04:39:00 PM

Implausible.  No one would ever watch that.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2010, 06:29:38 PM »
Quote from: Indolent Reader on September 14, 2010, 05:31:49 PM
DPD. 

Bernstein is calling labor conspiracy (apparently HH did not want to be put on IR).

I wouldn't put it past the NFL or the Bears, to be perfectly honest.  Employers in this country have a tendency of finding ways of removing prominent union supporters on the eve of labor conflict.  Sure it violates Section 8(a)(3) of the Act, but they do it anyway.

The NFL is really no different.

Stew and I can lead the symposia on these issues.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #208 on: September 14, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 14, 2010, 06:29:38 PM
DPD. 

I wouldn't put it past the NFL or the Bears, to be perfectly honest.  Employers in this country have a tendency of finding ways of removing prominent union supporters on the eve of labor conflict.  Sure it violates Section 8(a)(3) of the Act, but they do it anyway.

Good. That'll learn ol' smart Vandy boy from openin his yap. I like my football players treated like indentured servants. Well, the white ones. I've got a different name for the brown'ns, but I been told that ain't fer polite comp'ny these days.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2010, 07:06:48 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 14, 2010, 06:29:38 PM
DPD. 

DPD. "Adding to the intrigue: Hillenmeyer is one of more than a dozen players who has agreed to donate his brain to a research group determined to studying the effects of head trauma to professional athletes." - http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2010/09/hunter_hillenmeyer_placed_on_i.html. Hmm.