News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,954 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #300 on: November 12, 2013, 12:54:16 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 12:29:15 PM
Quote from: Slaky on November 12, 2013, 12:17:24 PM
I feel like I always had that year in my head as the season where things finally start to come together.

I'll admit that initially I had 2014 in my head. Maybe I bought into Theo's press conference bullshit about how "every chance to win is sacred." He probably should have scrapped that line.

This one's not going away easily, huh?

Edited for bad link fixage.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #301 on: November 12, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 12, 2013, 12:48:48 PM
Quote from: PANK! on November 12, 2013, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 11:57:45 AM
Quote from: PANK! on November 12, 2013, 11:31:58 AM
Quote from: Slaky on November 12, 2013, 10:02:22 AM
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 09:58:12 AM
Quote from: R-V on November 12, 2013, 09:08:18 AM
Anyone else disturbed by this (paraphrased) quote? Have Theo & Jed been getting moving targets for spending for the near future?

I think we'll know more after this offseason and whether they're able to pay up for Choo or Tanaka. From what has been said, I'm not really counting on it, so 2014 will be another rough year. I think most people expect that at this point.

And if we're being realistic, a lack of veteran signings this offseason probably doesn't bode too well for 2015 either. They need several guys who can post 4-5 win seasons to make the jump into 90-win territory (they currently have zero guys like that, with Rizzo as the best possibility). As excited as we are about Baez, Bryant and the other young guys, they're probably not going to come straight up from the minors and dominate.

I do like where their heads are at though. There simply aren't names on the market that you can pay and get those 5 wins, or what have you. They don't exist. The only guys hitting free agency now are old and expensive. Good pieces to wealthy clubs who need to patch up holes to contend. Not super helpful to teams that need to fix almost everything at the major league level.

It'd be great if they got Tanaka but somehow I'm just not picturing that happening.

I'm fine with a third shitty season so long as we're at least seeing one or two of the kids beyond the All-Star Break, and am okay with another struggling team in '15 if they're all up.  I have fond memories of 1987/1988.

Just curious, if someone had told you when Epstein was hired in 2011 that the first truly competitive team would come in 2016, would you have been disappointed?

I would probably have gone along with it at the time just because what other choice did I have other than to throw my lot in with Theo's, but that's not to say it'd be any easier.  I went into the last 2 years with zero expectations and thus have no had no emotional investment in this team.  But I don't know, now, if I can do 2 more years.  Then again, if they're trending upward--which you should be able to see by 2015, then I'm fine, I guess.

The problem, for me, will manifest if they start calling these top prospects up and it becomes clear that most of them can't play. My level of trust depends on several of these guys panning out. If that doesn't happen, they won't trend upward by 2015 and then they'll start signing big money free agents in an attempt to save their phony baloney jobs. At that point I may give up on the sport indefinitely.

I want to print this reply out and hang it on the wall in my office.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #302 on: November 12, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 12, 2013, 12:54:20 PM
Anyone else disturbed by this (paraphrased) quote? Have Theo & Jed been getting moving targets for spending for the near future?

I think we'll know more after this offseason and whether they're able to pay up for Choo or Tanaka. From what has been said, I'm not really counting on it, so 2014 will be another rough year. I think most people expect that at this point.

And if we're being realistic, a lack of veteran signings this offseason probably doesn't bode too well for 2015 either. They need several guys who can post 4-5 win seasons to make the jump into 90-win territory (they currently have zero guys like that, with Rizzo as the best possibility). As excited as we are about Baez, Bryant and the other young guys, they're probably not going to come straight up from the minors and dominate.

I do like where their heads are at though. There simply aren't names on the market that you can pay and get those 5 wins, or what have you. They don't exist. The only guys hitting free agency now are old and expensive. Good pieces to wealthy clubs who need to patch up holes to contend. Not super helpful to teams that need to fix almost everything at the major league level.

It'd be great if they got Tanaka but somehow I'm just not picturing that happening.

I'm fine with a third shitty season so long as we're at least seeing one or two of the kids beyond the All-Star Break, and am okay with another struggling team in '15 if they're all up.  I have fond memories of 1987/1988.

Just curious, if someone had told you when Epstein was hired in 2011 that the first truly competitive team would come in 2016, would you have been disappointed?

I would probably have gone along with it at the time just because what other choice did I have other than to throw my lot in with Theo's, but that's not to say it'd be any easier.  I went into the last 2 years with zero expectations and thus have no had no emotional investment in this team.  But I don't know, now, if I can do 2 more years.  Then again, if they're trending upward--which you should be able to see by 2015, then I'm fine, I guess.

The problem, for me, will manifest if they start calling these top prospects up and it becomes clear that most of them can't play. My level of trust depends on several of these guys panning out. If that doesn't happen, they won't trend upward by 2015 and then they'll start signing big money free agents in an attempt to save their phony baloney jobs. At that point I may give up on the sport indefinitely.

To cover up that ugly Bulls 3-Peat poster, natch.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #303 on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 12, 2013, 12:55:53 PM

To cover up that ugly Bulls 3-Peat poster, natch.

Huey wants to, he just isn't sure how to print it out. Can you fax him a copy?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #304 on: November 12, 2013, 12:58:12 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 12, 2013, 12:55:53 PM

I'm fine with a third shitty season so long as we're at least seeing one or two of the kids beyond the All-Star Break, and am okay with another struggling team in '15 if they're all up.  I have fond memories of 1987/1988.

To cover up that ugly Bulls Repeat of the 3-Peat poster, natch.

My glorious Bulls poster is from 1997'd.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #305 on: November 12, 2013, 01:04:09 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 12, 2013, 12:54:16 PM
I feel like I always had that year in my head as the season where things finally start to come together.

I'll admit that initially I had 2014 in my head. Maybe I bought into Theo's press conference bullshit about how "every chance to win is sacred." He probably should have scrapped that line.

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=7056.msg265142#msg265142
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #306 on: November 12, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »

I think pex brings up a good point and we're mostly afraid to talk about it. I know the whole reason behind accumulating as many prospects as the Cubs have is that it's a guarantee that some will be busts. It's more likely they'll all be busts than a few of them will be superstars.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #307 on: November 12, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 12, 2013, 01:04:09 PM

Plus http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=8301.msg262027#msg262027

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #308 on: November 12, 2013, 01:11:41 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 12, 2013, 01:10:23 PM

Plus http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=8301.msg262027#msg262027

Noted. I'll try to not mention it again.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #309 on: November 12, 2013, 01:15:03 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 12, 2013, 01:09:06 PM

I think pex brings up a good point and we're mostly afraid to talk about it. I know the whole reason behind accumulating as many prospects as the Cubs have is that it's a guarantee that some will be busts. It's more likely they'll all be busts than a few of them will be superstars.

Then again, you look at the Royals and I don't know if any of those young players are superstars. But that's a good ballclub and if you were to add even a handful of veterans and one blockbuster free-agent, something KC probably can't do, they'd be good to go. The Yankees had 5-7 guys come up and play at a superstar level and they built around that for going on 15 years. If it's unrealistic to expect that, just give me a 25-man Eric Hosmer roster and let's drink to their health.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #310 on: November 12, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 01:11:41 PM

Is it really unreasonable to hold Theo to a bullshitty feel-good phrase he used a bunch in a press conference the day he got hired?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #311 on: November 12, 2013, 01:18:47 PM »

Some guys will be busts, some will be good. I think we'd be thrilled if 2 of the big 4 guys end up as perennial All-Star level players. But that still leaves a lot of gaps to fill in. I think a lot of my excitement over the volume of quality prospects is the hope that they can consolidate several of those into one megastar player still in his prime like a CarGo or Stanton. That would speed this whole process up significantly.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #312 on: November 12, 2013, 01:20:46 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 12, 2013, 01:16:55 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 01:11:41 PM

Is it really unreasonable to hold Theo to a bullshitty feel-good phrase he used a bunch in a press conference the day he got hired?

Yes.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 01:18:47 PM

Some guys will be busts, some will be good. I think we'd be thrilled if 2 of the big 4 guys end up as perennial All-Star level players. But that still leaves a lot of gaps to fill in. I think a lot of my excitement over the volume of quality prospects is the hope that they can consolidate several of those into one megastar player still in his prime like a CarGo or Stanton. That would speed this whole process up significantly.

The other thing is that beyond the Big 4, there are guys like Alcantra (strikeouts notwithstanding) and Candelario who project out to be damn solid players as well.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 12, 2013, 01:28:10 PM
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 01:18:47 PM

The other thing is that beyond the Big 45, there are guys like Alcantra (strikeouts notwithstanding) and Candelario who project out to be damn solid players as well.

Edwardstink is awesome.