News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive  ( 102,180 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on March 05, 2010, 05:35:24 PM
Quote from: Yeti on March 05, 2010, 05:23:08 PM
Boldin and a 5th to Baltimore for their 3rd and 4th? Why the fuck didn't the Bears make that move?

They feel like they'll need to make a draft pick ahead of the 5th round?

Fuck that. I'd rather have a stud WR (a position the Bears are solidly OK at) than get an OL (which the Bears are bad at)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 05, 2010, 05:48:28 PM
Boldin and a 5th to Baltimore for their 3rd and 4th? Why the fuck didn't the Bears make that move?

Fuck that. I'd rather have a stud WR (a position the Bears are solidly OK at) than get an OL (which the Bears are bad at)

Boldin's definitely a solid WR, but he's a constant injury risk who's also very unhappy with his current contract, which expires at the end of this season.
So, either you're getting a guy who's often hurt and disgruntled for 1 year in exchange for a 3rd and 4th, or you're getting a guy who's often hurt and you have to extend him for at least $15 million guaranteed in exchange for a 3rd and 4th in a draft where you don't have a 1st and 2nd.  

Edited to include:
"Boldin signed a four-year, $28M contract upon completion of the trade".

Not sure how much is guaranteed, but you would have had to give him that on the same day you signed Peppers and Taylor.  

Edited, Take 2: Looks like $10 million was guaranteed. A good deal for Baltimore, but not sure the Bears could spend that on top of what they already spent today and their current draft deficiencies.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2010, 05:53:08 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 05, 2010, 05:51:09 PM

Boldin's definitely a solid WR, but he's a constant injury risk who's also very unhappy with his current contract, which expires at the end of this season.
So, either you're getting a guy who's often hurt and disgruntled for 1 year in exchange for a 3rd and 4th, or you're getting a guy who's often hurt and you have to extend him for at least $15 million guaranteed in exchange for a 3rd and 4th in a draft where you don't have a 1st and 2nd. 

I'll have what she's having

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2010, 06:10:46 PM »

You'd rather see the Bears improve for a year at a position they're "solidly OK at" than see them try to improve going forward at what are possibly the most crucial positions on a football squadron (where you agree they're currently for shit)?

If that wasn't an attempt at sarcasm then I don't get this Yeti champion-building strategy at all.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2010, 10:29:06 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on March 05, 2010, 06:10:46 PM

You'd rather see the Bears improve for a year at a position they're "solidly OK at" than see them try to improve going forward at what are possibly the most crucial positions on a football squadron (where you agree they're currently for shit)?

If that wasn't an attempt at sarcasm then I don't get this Yeti champion-building strategy at all.

I don't either and the fact that I even stopped and wondred about it kind of pisses me off. nice ost jim
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »

Why not throw money at positions in which the Bears aren't in need? Not like it's something new.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2010, 10:41:53 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 08, 2010, 10:38:56 AM

Why not throw money at positions in which the Bears aren't in need? Not like it's something new.

Getting angry now. There is only one position on the field that the Bears aren't in some sort of need. that wold be placekicker.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2010, 10:45:26 AM »

Outside perspective is THIS.
Seems like total desperation, signing these guys.
Not that they're not solid players, but clearly not the positions or areas most in need.

This team is still going to live/die based on how Cutler does next year and I don't see any of these moves giving him enough help.

But then again, my QB apparently is either a serial sexual assaulter or a complete fucking moron who can't stop putting himself in retarded situations (still banking on the latter), so what do I know?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: March 08, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on March 08, 2010, 10:45:26 AM

Not that they're not solid players, but clearly not the positions or areas most in need.

This team is still going to live/die based on how Cutler does next year and I don't see any of these moves giving him enough help.

But then again, my QB apparently is either a serial sexual assaulter or a complete fucking moron who can't stop putting himself in retarded situation (still banking on the latter), so what do I know?

He needs a nice long motorcycle ride to empty his head.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:50 AM »

How so?  The Bears weren't good at pressuring the quarterback last year and Peppers is very good at it.  Manumaleuna is good at run blocking and pass blocking.  The Bears weren't good at either of those things last year. 

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2010, 11:00:39 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 08, 2010, 10:55:50 AM

How so?  The Bears weren't good at pressuring the quarterback last year and Peppers is very good at it.  Manumaleuna is good at run blocking and pass blocking.  The Bears weren't good at either of those things last year. 

Yeah, but you can't win by simply signing good players. You have to have awesome chemistry and a fiery, passionate coach. That's what is really important.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »

But then again, my QB apparently is either a serial sexual assaulter or a complete fucking moron who can't stop putting himself in retarded situations (still banking on the latter), so what do I know?

I would say DE and RB were important needs on this team. They couldn't take the risk with Wolfe and Whoopi if Forte were to be banged up again.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on March 08, 2010, 11:02:53 AM

I would say DE and RB were important needs on this team. They couldn't take the risk with Wolfe and Whoopi if Forte were to be banged up again.

Bigest need on this team remains tackle-to-tackle on the offensive side of the football.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »
Quote from: Fork on March 08, 2010, 11:05:27 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on March 08, 2010, 11:02:53 AM

Bigest need on this team remains tackle-to-tackle on the offensive side of the football.

We're all well aware of the offensive line issues. Safety, too.

That doesn't take away from countless issues elsewhere on the field, a couple of which were addressed with these signings.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2010, 11:24:56 AM »
All we need are more players with good motors.