News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,926 )

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #570 on: October 20, 2009, 10:00:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 20, 2009, 09:53:33 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 20, 2009, 09:49:53 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 20, 2009, 09:46:49 AM
Quote from: Fork on October 20, 2009, 09:43:58 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 20, 2009, 09:36:03 AM
The short passing game hasn't bothered me because it's done a pretty effective job of beating the constant blitzes Jay has been facing. I'd love to see the team work in a bit more play action, because the last touchdown drive on Sunday was the only time they used it 3-4 times on one series and it worked beautifully.

If they made better use of the running game, play action would be even more effective.

Thanks.

Are you taking notes?

Once my mind recovers enough from being blown that I regain the ability to write.

I think that the play action would be more effective if they made better use of the ground game.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #571 on: October 20, 2009, 10:14:48 AM »
The short passing game hasn't bothered me because it's done a pretty effective job of beating the constant blitzes Jay has been facing. I'd love to see the team work in a bit more play action, because the last touchdown drive on Sunday was the only time they used it 3-4 times on one series and it worked beautifully.

If they had a made better use of the running game that didn't suck, play action would be even more effective.

As much as I enjoy Fork's Sports Platitudes, actually'd

And to back SKO up, we went over this in the preseason, but according to statfaggotry (which I don't trust nearly as much in football as I do in baseball, but at least it's an attempt at objective analysis), Garza and Beekman were their most effective linemen last season. Get Omiyale's sorry ass out of the lineup, run it up the gut, and profit.

And by profit, I mean suck less.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #572 on: October 20, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 20, 2009, 10:14:48 AM

If they had a made better use of the running game that didn't suck, play action would be even more effective.

And to back SKO up, we went over this in the preseason, but according to statfaggotry (which I don't trust nearly as much in football as I do in baseball, but at least it's an attempt at objective analysis), Garza and Beekman were their most effective linemen last season. Get Omiyale's sorry ass out of the lineup, run it up the gut, and profit.

This is what I was saying...they've got the right pieces, they just aren't using them effectively. Omiyale licks Abe Gibron's undercock.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #573 on: October 20, 2009, 10:31:28 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 20, 2009, 10:18:14 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 20, 2009, 10:14:48 AM

This is what I was saying...they've got the right pieces, they just aren't using them effectively. Omiyale licks Abe Gibron's undercock.

He really is awful.

And points for "Abe Gibron's undercock".  Why do I think that Charlie Weis has a shrine to Gibron in his home?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #574 on: October 20, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »
Does play action really need a good running game to work? If the defenders see a hand off, aren't they going to assume it is a run? All they need is a moment of hesitation or one step the wrong direction. Why does the success or lack of success on earlier running plays change the defense's approach to stopping what seems to be a running play?

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #575 on: October 20, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 20, 2009, 10:32:50 AM
Does play action really need a good running game to work? If the defenders see a hand off, aren't they going to assume it is a run? All they need is a moment of hesitation or one step the wrong direction. Why does the success or lack of success on earlier running plays change the defense's approach to stopping what seems to be a running play?

This.

I, too, used to think that you needed to establish the run to do play-action, but have come to realize it's a kind of meatball thought.  Just fake the run.  That's the point.  They won't overcommit any more if you have a good running game.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #576 on: October 20, 2009, 10:35:18 AM »

If you're not getting anything from the running game, the D won't bite on play action.

Same way that an ineffective passing game makes draw plays worthless.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #577 on: October 20, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Quote from: MAD on October 20, 2009, 10:34:09 AM

This.

I, too, used to think that you needed to establish the run to do play-action, but have come to realize it's a kind of meatball thought.  Just fake the run.  That's the point.  They won't overcommit any more if you have a good running game.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you can't block.  If the opposing team stays to its assignments, and beats 2/3's of the offensive lineman at the point of attack, they can tackle the running back, the fullback, the quarterback and the umpire if they want.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #578 on: October 20, 2009, 11:09:59 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 20, 2009, 10:45:00 AM
Quote from: MAD on October 20, 2009, 10:34:09 AM

This.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if you can't block.  If the opposing team stays to its assignments, and beats 2/3's of the offensive lineman at the point of attack, they can tackle the running back, the fullback, the quarterback and the umpire if they want.

This. I see a lot of 8-9 man fronts against the Bears on possible rushing downs and MFs are blitzing the Christ out of them no matter the down and distance. At times, Cutler and the receiving corps have made them pay for that but not enough to make them stop doing it. I mean, the middle of the field, the sidelines, everything was all you could eat in that fourth quarter and they hit some stuff. But they stepped on their dicks so much in short yardage that they couldn't finish the deal. I wish I had answer for this other than, move your guy off the ball and gain a fucking yard. But other than that, I've got nothing. Still see 10 wins for this team and if they beat Philly, SF, AZ and GB that should be plenty for the playoffs. Any of those four games seem unwinnable? Nosir.

Bear down, octaroons.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #579 on: October 20, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »
It's way too early for DOOM, but I think the only path to the playoffs is if
Turner can get his head out of his ass (or Lovie dictates some offensive
strategy) and the Bears admit to themselves that they are not a power
running football team this year.  Don't abandon the run, but stop with
every 3rd and short or goal line area play being a big lineup.  They finally
spread the field at the goal line and got the TD to Clark last game.

Keep working on the run, work in some of the other linemen and see if
they can manage to get something going.  Maybe accidentally drop Olin
into a giant vat of acid.  Hopefully get back to around last year's run game.
But until there's some glimmer of success there, quit lying to themselves
that they can power run.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #580 on: October 20, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »
Quote from: Pre on October 20, 2009, 01:50:23 PM
It's way too early for DOOM, but I think the only path to the playoffs is if
Turner can get his head out of his ass (or Lovie dictates some offensive
strategy) and the Bears admit to themselves that they are not a power
running football team this year.  Don't abandon the run, but stop with
every 3rd and short or goal line area play being a big lineup.  They finally
spread the field at the goal line and got the TD to Clark last game.

Keep working on the run, work in some of the other linemen and see if
they can manage to get something going.  Maybe accidentally drop Olin
into a giant vat of acid.  Hopefully get back to around last year's run game.
But until there's some glimmer of success there, quit lying to themselves
that they can power run.

I hope they get Jason McKie more involved. Guy is a rock.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #581 on: October 20, 2009, 02:13:21 PM »
Courtesy of Something Awful via KSK.

Hire Jim Essian!

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #582 on: October 20, 2009, 02:24:37 PM »
As much as Orton's success with Denver compels the meatball fanbase to digress to lower levels of stupidity, I found myself not rooting against him last night on account of the fact that Phillip Rivers has the most unrootable face in the history of human beings.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #583 on: October 20, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 20, 2009, 02:24:37 PM
As much as Orton's success with Denver compels the meatball fanbase to digress to lower levels of stupidity, I found myself not rooting against him last night on account of the fact that Phillip Rivers has the most unrootable face in the history of human beings.

Orton's played well, no doubt, but I swear that 90 percent* of his yardage this year has been generated by receivers after the catch. 

* May not be accurate

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #584 on: October 20, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 20, 2009, 02:24:37 PM

Regretting this as I type it....

You really think this face

and this one

is less rootable than this one...

or this one?

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.