News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,926 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #840 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:08 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 08, 2009, 06:01:00 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 08, 2009, 05:38:55 PM
Really the offensive skill position players are all good, young, and cheap. Cutler, Hester, Bennett, Knox, Forte, and Olsen have all shown talent. With a legitimate offensive line they'd be extremely dangerous. There's enough there to build an offense around if Chris Williams and Josh Beekman pan out and they can find some way to retool the rest of the line. The defense, however, is totally fucked. Briggs is the only person over there that's a legitimately good NFL player. So yeah, just replace the entire defensive line, every cornerback and safety, find a strong side linebacker, and hope Urlacher can play a few more years, and this can totally be a contending team. Oh, I'd keep Robbie Gould too.

Yeah but do we think Angelo can handle retooling the line?  One of my favorite comments by Aikman was that the Bears had had offensive line problems the last few years, but hadn't really addressed them. 

This of course is complete nonsense, as in the past two years, they've drafted Beekman and Williams, and signed Pace, Olmiyale and Shaffer.  The problem has been that so far none of these guys has been better than "meh" while several of them have been horrible, horrible failures.  These guys make me miss Blake Brockermeyer.

No, I don't. The best he's managed with that line was signing Tait, Fred Miller, and Ruben Brown, but even that can't count to his credit because he sat on his hands while those guys aged beyond all possible effectiveness. I mean any idiot could look at an offensive line with an average age of 35 and think they should invest some draft picks on the line, but not our idiot.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #841 on: November 08, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »
Really the offensive skill position players are all good, young, and cheap. Cutler, Hester, Bennett, Knox, Forte, and Olsen have all shown talent. With a legitimate offensive line they'd be extremely dangerous. There's enough there to build an offense around if Chris Williams and Josh Beekman pan out and they can find some way to retool the rest of the line. The defense, however, is totally fucked. Briggs is the only person over there that's a legitimately good NFL player. So yeah, just replace the entire defensive line, every cornerback and safety, find a strong side linebacker, and hope Urlacher can play a few more years, and this can totally be a contending team. Oh, I'd keep Robbie Gould too.

Yeah but do we think Angelo can handle retooling the line?  One of my favorite comments by Aikman was that the Bears had had offensive line problems the last few years, but hadn't really addressed them. 

This of course is complete nonsense, as in the past two years, they've drafted Beekman and Williams, and signed Pace, Olmiyale and Shaffer.  The problem has been that so far none of these guys has been better than "meh" while several of them have been horrible, horrible failures.  These guys make me miss Blake Brockermeyer.

To be fair, he did have some success with Tait, Miller, Garza, and Brown. That seems like a lifetime ago though.

Angelo should probably be fired though. Because of the Dan Bazuin pick. What the hell was that about?

Edit....what SKO said.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #842 on: November 08, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 08, 2009, 06:16:08 PM
they should invest some draft picks on the line

Who needs draft picks....we've got Gaines Adams!

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #843 on: November 08, 2009, 06:30:39 PM »
Quote from: Pre on November 08, 2009, 05:36:39 PM
Quote from: R-V on November 08, 2009, 05:08:34 PM
Let's say you're an NFL GM and you're starting a team from scratch. Is there anyone on the Bears you'd even consider for your imaginary squadron other than Cutler, Briggs, and maybe Peanut?

Lovie hasn't covered himself in glory this year but I think Angelo deserves most of the blame here. What a shitshow.

I listened to the game on the radio, so I can't really comment on today
(hell, with Joniak calling the game I have no idea what happened on more
than 15 of the plays anyways), but I think that the team actually has a good
core of players that could shine on a functional team.  It's just they have enough
holes that teams just scheme against the good players.  And the Bears coaches
don't feel the need to ever really do anything different.  Supposed changes like lots
more blitzing this year, are worthless because they are the same couple blitzes
over and over.  Teams have figured out how to attack Lovie's defense and he
isn't changing it.  Teams have figured out how to shut down Turner's offense, and
he isn't changing it
.  Teams with far worse personnel manage to not get their shit
rocked every week.  There's no real reason this defense and offense shouldn't be
at least average.  When's the last time they did anything (play call wise) that
surprised you on a single play?

Having said that, I think both Angelo and Lovie share the blame for what
personnel they have brought in.  In baseball the GM pretty much makes all
the decisions, but in football both need to be involved because they need
to make sure players fit into the schemes.  For the most part, I really think they
have done a solid job in the draft.  But free agency has been a total bust.  I also
think they should take the rest of the practices this season to build a giant catapult
and launch their strength and conditioning team into the sun.

This is why I think the Bears are headed for a coaching change.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #844 on: November 08, 2009, 06:31:30 PM »
Quote from: Tony on November 08, 2009, 06:16:52 PM

To be fair, he did have some success with Tait, Miller, Garza, and Brown. That seems like a lifetime ago though.

Angelo should probably be fired though. Because of the Dan Bazuin & Garret Wolfe picks. What the hell was that about?

Edit....what SKO said.

DPD

Another useless draft pick'd

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #845 on: November 08, 2009, 06:32:37 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on November 08, 2009, 06:30:39 PM
Quote from: Pre on November 08, 2009, 05:36:39 PM
Quote from: R-V on November 08, 2009, 05:08:34 PM
Let's say you're an NFL GM and you're starting a team from scratch. Is there anyone on the Bears you'd even consider for your imaginary squadron other than Cutler, Briggs, and maybe Peanut?

Lovie hasn't covered himself in glory this year but I think Angelo deserves most of the blame here. What a shitshow.

I listened to the game on the radio, so I can't really comment on today
(hell, with Joniak calling the game I have no idea what happened on more
than 15 of the plays anyways), but I think that the team actually has a good
core of players that could shine on a functional team.  It's just they have enough
holes that teams just scheme against the good players.  And the Bears coaches
don't feel the need to ever really do anything different.  Supposed changes like lots
more blitzing this year, are worthless because they are the same couple blitzes
over and over.  Teams have figured out how to attack Lovie's defense and he
isn't changing it.  Teams have figured out how to shut down Turner's offense, and
he isn't changing it
.  Teams with far worse personnel manage to not get their shit
rocked every week.  There's no real reason this defense and offense shouldn't be
at least average.  When's the last time they did anything (play call wise) that
surprised you on a single play?

Having said that, I think both Angelo and Lovie share the blame for what
personnel they have brought in.  In baseball the GM pretty much makes all
the decisions, but in football both need to be involved because they need
to make sure players fit into the schemes.  For the most part, I really think they
have done a solid job in the draft.  But free agency has been a total bust.  I also
think they should take the rest of the practices this season to build a giant catapult
and launch their strength and conditioning team into the sun.

This is why I think the Bears are headed for a coaching change.

He's owed $12MM over two years. You think the McCaskeys are going to eat that and then pay Shanahan or whoever to come in here for twice that? Nosir. If they eat it, they'll hire Dan Hampton or something.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #846 on: November 08, 2009, 06:40:20 PM »
I am now, after years of defending this passive cumjob, placing both feet squarely on the "Fire Lovie" bandwagon.  Hole. E. Fuck is this guy a  jamoke.

And that bald-headed dickrocket Rod Marinelli?  Jesus that guy's done nothing.  I wasn't expecting this fuck job to turn this D-Line into a new Steel Curtain, but with all of the hype this guy had, I would have at least expected that line to be marginally better from last year, not markedly worse.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #847 on: November 08, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »
Cutler threw for 369 yards and 3 TDs with only 1 pick

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #848 on: November 08, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 08, 2009, 06:32:37 PM
He's owed $12MM over two years. You think the McCaskeys are going to eat that and then pay Shanahan or whoever to come in here for twice that? Nosir. If they eat it, they'll hire Dan Hampton or something.

Many true things been have been said here today, but I'm afraid this may be the truest.  The McClaskey Family can suck a fat cock.  They aren't going to spend anything more than the absolute minimum on this team while they rake in cash from their gift of a publically funded stadium.

I hope they fire Lovie and hand the whole thing over to Buffone and O'Bradovich, so they can finally put their cutting edge 1970s era football strategies into practice.  At least it'd be great theater.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #849 on: November 08, 2009, 09:51:18 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 08, 2009, 09:44:00 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on November 08, 2009, 06:32:37 PM

Many true things been have been said here today, but I'm afraid this may be the truest.  The McClaskey Family can suck a fat cock.  They aren't going to spend anything more than the absolute minimum on this team while they rake in cash from their gift of a publically funded stadium.

From what I understand, the McCaskeys are at or near the bottom of the income scale when it comes to NFL owners.  Isn't that why they attempted to get the rules rewritten so that minority owners could be primary owners?  I could be wrong about this of course. 

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #850 on: November 08, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »
So no matter what, no matter how bad it gets, Lovie's contract makes his job safe? What if they go 4-12?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #851 on: November 09, 2009, 07:14:24 AM »
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #853 on: November 09, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »
On the bright side, at least there was entertainment at the game yesterday. The fat slobbering meatball sitting behind me insisted after the first Cardinals touchdown "Just look at de body language on dese mudderfuckers. Dey are already defeated. I been settin in dese seats for 26 years and I never seen cotches as bad as Lovie and Norv Turner. Ditka would never tolerate dis kind of play from dese mudderfuckers."

I hadn't been to a game for a couple years, I'd almost forgotten how amusing the beerfart meatwads in the stands can be.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #854 on: November 09, 2009, 08:47:09 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 09, 2009, 08:36:29 AM
On the bright side, at least there was entertainment at the game yesterday. The fat slobbering meatball sitting behind me insisted after the first Cardinals touchdown "Just look at de body language on dese mudderfuckers. Dey are already defeated. I been settin in dese seats for 26 years and I never seen cotches as bad as Lovie and Norv Turner. Ditka would never tolerate dis kind of play from dese mudderfuckers."

I hadn't been to a game for a couple years, I'd almost forgotten how amusing the beerfart meatwads in the stands can be.

You should have asked how he was able to sit in dose seats for the 19 years before they moved into the new digs.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)