News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,925 )

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #1140 on: December 11, 2009, 01:31:52 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 11, 2009, 09:19:26 AM
Quote from: MAD on December 11, 2009, 09:12:37 AM
I'm being serious when I say I think they should consider hiring Weis to run the offense.

The thinking is based on my opinion that Lovie will be brought back for one more year, which is mostly based of course on the Bears not wanting to eat too much salary (1 year instead of 2), while justifying the retention by saying that Lovie's Cover-2 was crippled by Brian Urlacher's absence.  This will not only buy more time on his contract, but will make the decision to get rid of Smith AND Urlacher easier if it turns out that Urlacher's not worth the investment anymore--a case which gathers increasing strength with time--and the team blows again next year, further clearing the way for a clean start. 

At the same time, the team is going to need to account for this season's clusterfuck.  The organization can choose to blame Lovie, Marinelli, Babich and Co, for their inability to properly scheme, make adjustments and motivate various high-paid sacks of shit on the line....but that would lead right back to whacking Lovie with 2 years left on his deal.  On the other hand, considering that the offense was an equally disappointing band of retardation, the easier move to signify the organization is being proactive would be to whack the unaffiliated Ron Turner.  I've never been very passionate about Turner either way, but he makes a good scapegoat. 

In the meantime, who the hell is going to come here for what would, under this scenario, seem to be a lame duck season?  Well that's where the chubby bastard who's raising retarded kids on a farm 90 miles away comes in.  While Weis is certainly not desperate for a job as he still gets paid by his dumbfuck ex-employer, he would still, I imagine, need to restore his credibility as an offensive schemer who's already had success in the league if he ever wants another chance, before  everyone catches on to the fact that it's all Belichick and Tom Brady. 

It's probably doomed to fail, which means we at least would have 2011 to look forward to, when the Bears get to start drafting again, but what the fuck.

I'm glad you're the only one seriously considering it. If it's a lame duck season for Lovie in 2010, I'd rather they stick with Turner. If they bring in a lame duck OC for a lame duck coach, the quarterback will have to learn his third offense in three years with a certainty that he's going to learn a fourth the following year. I don't see the point. The Bears need new players more than they need new coaches.

I think Angelo and Lovie will get one more year and then the team will clean house and hire a new GM and Head Coach to run the draft, with a near certainty that it'll be a top 5 draft pick. The Bears are going to blow next year. We can only hope that they do so to the fullest possible extent. I've never been that type of fan, that roots for his team to lose but that's what Angelo has brought me to with this roster.

The biggest concern I would have with hiring Weis right now is that, if the senario that MAD described happened (Lovie getting fired at the end of the 2010 season), The Bear's braintrust would likely just elevate Weis to the HC position, which I do not want to see.

Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1141 on: December 11, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on December 11, 2009, 01:31:52 PM
The biggest concern I would have with hiring Weis right now is that, if the senario that
MAD described happened (Lovie getting fired at the end of the 2010 season), The Bear's
braintrust would likely just elevate Weis to the HC position, which I do not want to see.

My biggest concern is that I really don't believe he's a good offensive coordinator.  I think
his time in New England doesn't hurt him, but I also don't think it's a real strong support.
Tons of talent and it's not like they missed him.

I watched way more of his ND games that I'd have liked, and I didn't see any real genius
there.  As much as it's in vogue to blame the defense, ND didn't move the ball _that_
well against the good teams it did play despite having a whole ton of talent at the skill
positions.  ND was 38th in scoring offense this year, 66th last, 116th the year before.

I don't mean this question in a sarcastic or mean way (I'd love some serious discussion), but
what in Weis' past makes anyone think he'd be a good OC for the Bears?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1142 on: December 11, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
Quote from: Pre on December 11, 2009, 02:15:02 PM
The biggest concern I would have with hiring Weis right now is that, if the senario that
MAD described happened (Lovie getting fired at the end of the 2010 season), The Bear's
braintrust would likely just elevate Weis to the HC position, which I do not want to see.

My biggest concern is that I really don't believe he's a good offensive coordinator.  I think
his time in New England doesn't hurt him, but I also don't think it's a real strong support.

I watched way more of his ND games that I'd have liked, and I didn't see any real genius
there.  As much as it's in vogue to blame the defense, ND didn't move the ball _that_
well against the good teams it did play despite having a whole ton of talent at the skill
positions.  ND was 38th in scoring offense this year, 66th last, 116th the year before.

I don't mean this question in a sarcastic or mean way (I'd love some serious discussion), but

He once coordinated a last minute, game winning drive for a field goal against a Lovie Smith-led defense?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1143 on: December 11, 2009, 02:45:50 PM »

I agree.  I think he's a pretty good quarterbacks coach (shockingly).  But I thought his offensive playcalling was head-scratchingly stupid for much of his time at ND.
Hire Jim Essian!

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1144 on: December 11, 2009, 05:19:51 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on December 11, 2009, 02:45:50 PM

I agree.  I think he's a pretty good quarterbacks coach (shockingly).  But I thought his offensive playcalling was head-scratchingly stupid for much of his time at ND.

Stupid play calling? What about "pass right"? The play worked and tugged at your heart strings at the same time. Let's see Turner do that.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1145 on: December 13, 2009, 12:05:47 PM »
3rd and 2. Olin Kreutz, with his big mouth, does a shimmy and blocks no one. Nice work.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1146 on: December 13, 2009, 12:08:01 PM »
So who has turned off the game already?
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1147 on: December 13, 2009, 12:08:24 PM »
Should I Paulcast this abortion?

This is going to be a long three hours. I don't think I have it in me.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1148 on: December 13, 2009, 12:12:21 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on December 13, 2009, 12:08:24 PM

Only if you're going to use a coat hanger.  This game deserves no better.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1149 on: December 13, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
Insult to injury - my FOX HD station is not working. Standard def! The horror!

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1150 on: December 13, 2009, 12:55:35 PM »

This could be the game that is the final nail in Lovie's coffin.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1151 on: December 13, 2009, 01:12:55 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on December 13, 2009, 12:55:35 PM

This could be the game that is the final nail in Lovie's coffin.

Meh.  Even if it is (and I don't think it will be), does Angelo go to?  Until that happens, it doesn't matter much.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #1152 on: December 13, 2009, 01:13:37 PM »
Can someone please push Thom Brennaman into Lake Michigan at halftime? Please?
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1153 on: December 13, 2009, 01:20:38 PM »
Johnny KVNOX!

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #1154 on: December 13, 2009, 01:22:31 PM »
Apparently getting pushed to the ground after an extra point is a 15 yard penalty against you. Wow.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.