News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2014 WORLD CUP - SOCCER IS GHEY PART DOIS.  ( 29,803 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2014 WORLD CUP - SOCCER IS GHEY PART DOIS.
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2014, 08:20:01 AM »
I was always interested in the fans' behavio(u)r but that wasn't enough to draw me in. What finally did it for me was the skill of the players. I don't really understand the sport - I only played a couple years as a kid - but when I see them move the ball around in ways that defy gravity and physics I begin to understand the allure. The intensity of the championship and the fact that these guys are playing for their countries is beyond fascinating.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2014, 08:33:27 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 14, 2014, 09:47:21 PM
I'm an idiot. This tournament is awesome.

I still find it terrible. But I'm American, so I can be excused.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2014, 08:40:14 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 16, 2014, 08:20:01 AM
I was always interested in the fans' behavio(u)r but that wasn't enough to draw me in. What finally did it for me was the skill of the players. I don't really understand the sport - I only played a couple years as a kid - but when I see them move the ball around in ways that defy gravity and physics I begin to understand the allure. The intensity of the championship and the fact that these guys are playing for their countries is beyond fascinating.

It's a funny thing.  Although you Americans are naturally very patriotic, turning out for your country seems to play a much less important role in the life of your professional team-sports players - I guess because opportunities are few and far between (if they exist at all), or happen during the professional season.  For many football (or rugby, or cricket, or...) players, representing their country at the World Cup is the pinnacle of their careers.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2014, 08:56:45 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on June 16, 2014, 08:40:14 AM

It's a funny thing.  Although you Americans are naturally very patriotic, turning out for your country seems to play a much less important role in the life of your professional team-sports players - I guess because opportunities are few and far between (if they exist at all), or happen during the professional season.  For many football (or rugby, or cricket, or...) players, representing their country at the World Cup is the pinnacle of their careers.

Aside from hockey, there is really no other tangible World Championship...The World Baseball Classic is kind of a snooze, Olympic basketball is whoever can be arsed to give up their summer off, and there aren't even enough decent non-American football players to field a team that could beat a decent Division III team.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2014, 09:00:30 AM »

America is very big geographically and because of that it is has a history of regionalism that influences our sporting interests more than anything. It would have been very hard for us to develop international sporting rivalries in the 19th century  because of the distances involved, but we sure as hell could develop north vs. south, Texas vs. Oklahoma, etc. That's why there's so much emphasis on college sports rivalries, which are still the oldest and most powerful rivalries in American sports, in my opinion.

Then you add that our two most popular sports historically (baseball) and currently (football, by a wide margin) have never really taken off internationally and yeah, it's hard for us to muster the kind of hate we're capable of bringing towards each other to the international stage. It's a shame really, because I'd love to have the world see that we can hate with the best of them. We have a deep, rich tradition of hate. We had a Civil War one time that is probably better than anything your people have ever done.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2014, 09:03:16 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 16, 2014, 08:56:45 AM

Aside from hockey, there is really no other tangible World Championship...The World Baseball Classic is kind of a snooze, Olympic basketball is whoever can be arsed to give up their summer off, and there aren't even enough decent non-American football players to field a team that could beat a decent Division III team.

I think there's an attitude that if the rest of the world is any good at any sport we care about they should head to the US and prove it. Why should we take the game to them? Hockey isn't really our sport, but we're in that sport.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2014, 09:47:32 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on June 16, 2014, 09:03:16 AM

I think there's an attitude that if the rest of the world is any good at any sport we care about they should head to the US and prove it. Why should we take the game to them? Hockey isn't really our sport, but we're in that sport.

USA Hockey medals enough in world-class competition (World Junior, Olympics, etc) to where we're actually a force.

Of course, the fact that hockey's "World Championship" happens at the exact same time as the Stanley Cup Playoffs, ensuring that only NHL players from shitty teams play, doesn't help. They've tried doing a World Cup a couple times. It might pick up more traction if the NHL balks at shutting down for 2 weeks in 2018 for the Olympics again.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2014, 09:52:24 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 16, 2014, 09:00:30 AM
Then you add that our two most popular sports historically (baseball) and currently (football, by a wide margin) have never really taken off internationally...

Football, yeah.

Baseball, only if by "internationally" you mean "in Europe". Which, to be fair, is probably all that would matter to most Americans, particularly back in its heyday as the National Pastime.

And, in any case, MLB still utterly dominates the sport on the international stage to an extent that I don't think any one club soccer league does.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2014, 09:57:06 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 16, 2014, 09:47:32 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on June 16, 2014, 09:03:16 AM

USA Hockey medals enough in world-class competition (World Junior, Olympics, etc) to where we're actually a force.

Of course, the fact that hockey's "World Championship" happens at the exact same time as the Stanley Cup Playoffs, ensuring that only NHL players from shitty teams play, doesn't help. They've tried doing a World Cup a couple times. It might pick up more traction if the NHL balks at shutting down for 2 weeks in 2018 for the Olympics again.

And we basically own the IIHF U18s. Which, you know, tend to coincide with the CHL playoffs, so the Canadians don't generally field anything resembling their best squadron, but whatever. ISA all the way!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »
I've done some historical research at the request of a friend who wanted a historically appropriate way to taunt Ghana and I would suggest for all of you that "we have the stool" would seem to work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Stool
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 16, 2014, 10:08:31 AM
I've done some historical research at the request of a friend who wanted a historically appropriate way to taunt Ghana and I would suggest for all of you that "we have the stool" would seem to work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Stool

"We have indoor plumbing" might also work.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2014, 10:17:13 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 16, 2014, 10:14:16 AM

Why go so pedestrian when you can mock something sacred to many of their people And bring up the worst excesses of colonialism? You think too small.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29:18 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 16, 2014, 10:14:16 AM

Intrepid Reader: IAN

"The Taliban called..."

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »

All of that works.