News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,715 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2010, 06:37:21 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 09, 2010, 06:27:06 PM
Quote from: Slaky on September 09, 2010, 06:25:43 PM
Wow, so we hate the owner down through the GM, we're on the road to hating Quade and we definitely hate all of the players (except Starlin).

Explain to me again why I'm a Cubs fan?

Because your dad probably hated you

My dad likes the Sox (I didn't know this until a few years ago) and recently cancelled his company's Cubs season tickets. So I know it's not his fault.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 09, 2010, 06:25:43 PM
Wow, so we hate the owner down through the GM, we're on the road to hating Quade and we definitely hate all of the players (except Starlin).

Explain to me again why I'm a Cubs fan?

Don't forget the other fans. I really hate most Cubs fans.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
I hate Barney the most already.  The ones I like/hate the least are Starlin, Healthy Aramis, Marmol, Soto, SeanBearPig, and Zambrano (now that he's pitching like someone who wants to get traded).  I guess Byrd can stay too.

Crane, Hendry, and every one of the Ricketts can die in an upper deck falling concrete accident.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »
What's wrong with the Rickettses?  Did they extend Hendry?
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »
Quote from: JD on September 09, 2010, 07:44:40 PM
What's wrong with the Rickettses?  Did they extend Hendry?

They didn't not extend him.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2010, 08:28:45 PM »
The thing is, none of this stuff is new to me.  I hated the Tribune (and it doesn't sound like anybody had much love for PK Wrigley before them), I've hated every GM since Dallas Green was shown the door and most of the managers.

I guess I mostly hate Ricketts because I thought that cutting off the head of the franchise was going to kill all this stupidity, and lead to a fresh start.  Yeah, it would take a while to regrow the body, but it would be better this time.  Instead they managed to graft another stupid head onto the neck of this idiotic organization, only this one wears Harry Caray glasses.

Fuck.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: September 10, 2010, 07:52:06 AM »
Quote from: CT III on September 09, 2010, 08:28:45 PM
The thing is, none of this stuff is new to me.  I hated the Tribune (and it doesn't sound like anybody had much love for PK Wrigley before them), I've hated every GM since Dallas Green was shown the door and most of the managers.

I guess I mostly hate Ricketts because I thought that cutting off the head of the franchise was going to kill all this stupidity, and lead to a fresh start.  Yeah, it would take a while to regrow the body, but it would be better this time.  Instead they managed to graft another stupid head onto the neck of this idiotic organization, only this one wears Harry Caray glasses.

Fuck.

I was under the impression that he gets it and that -- that! -- is what hurts most of all.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: September 10, 2010, 08:49:24 AM »
The Wall Street Journal took on statues dotting the landscape of college football today. Alas, Crane saw this:

and wondered how in the name of everything sacred we don't have a Jerome Walton statue. HE WON ROOKIE OF THE YEAR JUST LIKE JASON WHITE WON THE HEISMAN!

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: September 10, 2010, 10:30:09 AM »
The more I think about Crane Kenney and Rickettseseseses the angrier I get. This isn't good for business.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 10, 2010, 10:30:09 AM
The more I think about Crane Kenney and Rickettseseseses the angrier I get. This isn't good for business.

Just think of what kind of stupid things could be in the works now that Todd has participated in Undercover Boss.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2010, 10:46:27 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on September 10, 2010, 10:44:09 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 10, 2010, 10:30:09 AM

Just think of what kind of stupid things could be in the works now that Todd has participated in Undercover Boss.

Signing Adam Dunn?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »
Tom Ricketts has great news for you:

- Higher ticket prices!
- A smaller payroll!
- No friggin' idea about the managerial search timeline!

QuoteFor the season, the Cubs drew 3,062,973 fans to Wrigley Field, their smallest total since 2003. But, especially for the last month, there were stretches of empty seats even though the tickets were already counted as being sold. Unlike in past seasons, the bleachers were more empty than full at several night games.

"That's not really true," Ricketts said. "You go back and look at the data. There have been some soft night games in the bleachers in the last few years. The key to filling the park is to put a great product on the field."

Rumors persist the Cubs will raise ticket prices for some dates and categories next year.

"Attendance is down a few percentage points from last year," Ricketts said. "But in terms of ticket pricing for next year, we haven't made any final decisions. What we are doing is a really thorough study of what we're charging for which sections, trying to really understand the value proposition that we're offering people.

"We'll do that study, and we'll come up with a ticket-pricing strategy, keeping in mind that there's a tough economy. And it's ultimately our goal to get more fans in the park."

Among other topics discussed by Ricketts:

On the $145 million payroll: "We haven't made any decisions where payroll goes next year. But I think it will be slightly lower than this year."

On the managerial search ending before the World Series: "We don't really have a time frame on that. It's always good, if you have your decision made, you'd rather do it sooner rather than later so he can start working. But there's no reason to rush it."

On the five-week managing job of Mike Quade: "I don't think there's any doubt that Mike's done a nice job. Obviously, the team has played very well the last few weeks, and that's been encouraging."

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2010, 01:57:18 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 27, 2010, 01:11:03 PM

- Higher ticket prices!
- A smaller payroll!

QuoteFor the season, the Cubs drew 3,062,973 fans to Wrigley Field, their smallest total since 2003. But, especially for the last month, there were stretches of empty seats even though the tickets were already counted as being sold. Unlike in past seasons, the bleachers were more empty than full at several night games.

"That's not really true," Ricketts said. "You go back and look at the data. There have been some soft night games in the bleachers in the last few years. The key to filling the park is to put a great product on the field."

Rumors persist the Cubs will raise ticket prices for some dates and categories next year.

"Attendance is down a few percentage points from last year," Ricketts said. "But in terms of ticket pricing for next year, we haven't made any final decisions. What we are doing is a really thorough study of what we're charging for which sections, trying to really understand the value proposition that we're offering people.

"We'll do that study, and we'll come up with a ticket-pricing strategy, keeping in mind that there's a tough economy. And it's ultimately our goal to get more fans in the park."

On the $145 million payroll: "We haven't made any decisions where payroll goes next year. But I think it will be slightly lower than this year."

On the managerial search ending before the World Series: "We don't really have a time frame on that. It's always good, if you have your decision made, you'd rather do it sooner rather than later so he can start working. But there's no reason to rush it."

On the five-week managing job of Mike Quade: "I don't think there's any doubt that Mike's done a nice job. Obviously, the team has played very well the last few weeks, and that's been encouraging."

They can't talk seriously to Girardi (face-to-face) until after the Yankees are done.  I also think they might want to kick the tires on Joe Maddon, although I have to believe he could be the most expensive guy on the list.  So I can see the rationale in that particular part of his answer.

In a vacuum, the price increase would be ridiculous.  But when you have 9 figures worth of debt service to pay back, and a willing scalpers market...I assume they'll increase ticket prices 3-5%.

These fuckers need to fire the GM already.  That's all I know.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on September 27, 2010, 01:57:18 PM
Quote from: Brownie on September 27, 2010, 01:11:03 PM

- Higher ticket prices!
- A smaller payroll!

They can't talk seriously to Girardi (face-to-face) until after the Yankees are done.  I also think they might want to kick the tires on Joe Maddon, although I have to believe he could be the most expensive guy on the list.  So I can see the rationale in that particular part of his answer.

In a vacuum, the price increase would be ridiculous.  But when you have 9 figures worth of debt service to pay back, and a willing scalpers market...I assume they'll increase ticket prices 3-5%.

These fuckers need to fire the GM already.  That's all I know.

When you say willing scalpers market do you mean active buyers and sellers?
I'm pretty sure the scalpers ate a lot of tickets this year. At least the ones that I have spoken to considered it the worst year in a long time and unless the team improves they don't see that market improving.
It was pretty apparent to me even before the All Star break when I couldn't even give several games away. And those were games that in the past people would have paid up for.

Although the Cubs have used the excuse of a strong secondary market to justify price increases in the past, any statement they make along those lines in the current market is a bold faced lie.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2010, 02:38:22 PM »

On the bright side, putting together a group buy inside the ballpark looks pretty feasible for next season.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16