News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,699 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #345 on: August 16, 2011, 02:54:36 PM »
Quote from: Tony on August 16, 2011, 02:15:26 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 16, 2011, 01:10:53 PM
Quote from: BH on August 16, 2011, 12:07:43 PM
Hopefully Levine explains this all on his ESPN chat today.

QuoteThat's a great question because nobody seems to know that answer right now. Quade does believe in player development. He's also managing to retain his own job. That can only usually be quantified in wins. Time will tell as to how he will decide playing time for vets and young players.

This is all well and good but unless we're talking about Colvin, who stinks, all the young players are already playing. There aren't any young players that are major league ready. What's the debate? When people keep screaming for Quade to "play the youngsters" do they just mean Colvin? Dolan has already hammered home the fact that he's the same age as Blake DeWitt. I don't hear anyone screaming for DeWitt to get more playing time. Oh, that's right - we need upcoming superstar Darwin Barney to play every day. Because Darwin Barney's OPS+ of 87 is so much better than DeWitt's of 85.

ALSO DARWIN BARNEY IS TWO MONTHS OLDER THAN DEWITT.

You are right......but Colvin is a lot younger than Reed Johnson.

And Bruno Mars is younger than Ghostface Killah. What's your point?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: August 16, 2011, 03:21:31 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 16, 2011, 02:54:36 PM

QuoteThat's a great question because nobody seems to know that answer right now. Quade does believe in player development. He's also managing to retain his own job. That can only usually be quantified in wins. Time will tell as to how he will decide playing time for vets and young players.

This is all well and good but unless we're talking about Colvin, who stinks, all the young players are already playing. There aren't any young players that are major league ready. What's the debate? When people keep screaming for Quade to "play the youngsters" do they just mean Colvin? Dolan has already hammered home the fact that he's the same age as Blake DeWitt. I don't hear anyone screaming for DeWitt to get more playing time. Oh, that's right - we need upcoming superstar Darwin Barney to play every day. Because Darwin Barney's OPS+ of 87 is so much better than DeWitt's of 85.

Wasn't sure either. I'm not saying that Colvin shouldn't play over Reed Johnson. Despite the fact that Colvin sucks, give him the rest of the season to be shitty on a daily basis and then we can all move on.

I'm more concerned with the obscene amount of Darwin Barney love and the fact that he gets lumped with Castro sickens me.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: August 16, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on August 16, 2011, 03:21:31 PM

Wasn't sure either. I'm not saying that Colvin shouldn't play over Reed Johnson. Despite the fact that Colvin sucks, give him the rest of the season to be shitty on a daily basis and then we can all move on.

I'm more concerned with the obscene amount of Darwin Barney love and the fact that he gets lumped with Castro sickens me.

How can you say that? They're a dynamic duo. Darwin's the Rey Sanchez to Castro's Sandberg. You can't split up a pair like that. 
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: August 16, 2011, 03:49:20 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 16, 2011, 03:26:33 PM

How can you say that? They're a dynamic duo. Darwin's the Rey Sanchez to Castro's Sandberg. You can't split up a pair like that. 

A Daily Double for a new generation.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: August 16, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »

That was my point. There aren't many kids worth playing, but there is no point in playing Johnson. But I don't hate Colvin like everyone else, mainly because my meathead brother hates him so much that it somehow forced me into liking him.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: August 16, 2011, 04:31:09 PM »
Quote from: Tony on August 16, 2011, 04:03:22 PM

That was my point. There aren't many kids worth playing, but there is no point in playing Johnson. But I don't hate Colvin like everyone else, mainly because my meathead brother hates him so much that it somehow forced me into liking him.

I realize that such concepts are rather un-hip, but I think having shitty defenders on the field who don't hit adds stress to your pitching staff and to me personally. So I'm all against it. No matter what their birth certificate says.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #351 on: August 16, 2011, 04:49:53 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on August 16, 2011, 04:31:09 PM
Quote from: Tony on August 16, 2011, 04:03:22 PM

I realize that such concepts are rather un-hip, but I think having shitty defenders on the field who don't hit adds stress to your pitching staff and to me personally. So I'm all against it. No matter what their birth certificate says.

Another good thing about not living in Chicago is not having to listen to people complaining about the Cubs not playing their young players when they don't have any good, ready ones who aren't playing. 

Or having to read any of these idiot media people who may be trying to further this message.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #352 on: August 18, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »
LSA. Al's take on what he wants to get out of the announcement. Hint - it's all about clubhouse culture.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: August 18, 2011, 11:48:29 AM »
Quote from: BH on August 18, 2011, 11:38:04 AMLSA. Al's take on what he wants to get out of the announcement. Hint - it's all about clubhouse culture.

QuoteI was watching the Diamondbacks/Phillies game on ESPN Wednesday night, and the game announcers made a point of stating that most people affiliated with the Diamondbacks franchise believe that one of the reasons -- not the only one, of course, but a significant one -- for their unexpected first-place showing is, as they put it, "culture change" in the clubhouse. They mentioned that manager Kirk Gibson has instituted some rules to enforce team discipline, such as wearing jackets and ties on the road, and no cellphones in the clubhouse.

God damn you BH.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: August 18, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 18, 2011, 11:38:04 AM
LSA. Al's take on what he wants to get out of the announcement. Hint - it's all about clubhouse culture.

Quote from: Alvin
Jim Hendry is a very nice man. I've met him briefly a couple of times; he's always been friendly and pleasant and it's my impression that he's very well-liked among his peers. Further, he's always been very good to his players, particularly players who, for one reason or another, didn't quite have a place on the Cubs. For example, when it didn't appear Sam Fuld would fit in to the 2011 Cubs plans, he included Fuld in the Matt Garza trade; Fuld has flourished in Tampa. He's done this for many players -- players love to play for a boss like that.

Two great points here - Hendry trades guys he doesn't want because he's just so damn nice, and Fuld is flourishing at a .240/.304/.365/.669 clip.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:36 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 18, 2011, 11:38:04 AM

I refuse to click on that. As a matter of fact I'm thinking about contacting IT and requesting that one of these be attached to the link...

You are accessing a site that is blocked by firm policy. Access to this site is logged and audited.
www.bleedcubbieblue.com has been categorized as a potential risk.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: August 18, 2011, 12:52:27 PM »
Perusing through the comments;

QuoteBest GM Since Bill Veeck Sr.?

Jim Hendry has been the most successful Cubs general manager in 70 years — because since the 1930s, no other Cubs GM had brought the team to as many postseason appearances as he has (three).

Nice criteria. An 88-win division, and 2 division titles when Tribune and McDonough allowed him to spend freely. In 6 short years (or about 1/2 the time that Hendry has spent with the organization) , Dallas Green constructed 2 legitimate division winners—the first one through trades (Sutcliffe, Sandberg, Dernier, Matthews, Eckersley et.al;..really the whole damn team) and the second one through the farm (Maddux, Grace, Girardi, Jerome Walton, Dwight Smith, Damon Berryhil, not to mention trading a future 500 HR hitting, and 250 winning pitcher in Rafael Palmeiro and Jamie Moyer—also homegriown— to augment these youngsters). Green's player development puts Hendry's to shame, and to ignore Green's regime while tripping over yourself to praise Hendry's is shameful

Apologies in advance for being so combative, but that nonsense is so dumb (and so transparently equivocal, par for the course, I guess) that it glows in the dark. Jim Hendry is a bumbling buffoon who has stumbled into whatever success he's accidentally enjoyed and has produced so few homegrown players—even though he's been in player development for a major market franchise for over a decade— that you ought to be embarassed by any praise you throw his way. He's hardly been better than Ed Lynch, and the insult to Dallas Green is so steeped in wilfull and deceitful ignorance as to provide a disservice to your readers, even though you're just a blogger. My brain hurts.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #357 on: August 18, 2011, 12:58:16 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on August 18, 2011, 12:52:27 PM

Jim Hendry has been the most successful Cubs general manager in 70 years — because since the 1930s, no other Cubs GM had brought the team to as many postseason appearances as he has (three).

Nice criteria. An 88-win division, and 2 division titles when Tribune and McDonough allowed him to spend freely. In 6 short years (or about 1/2 the time that Hendry has spent with the organization) , Dallas Green constructed 2 legitimate division winners—the first one through trades (Sutcliffe, Sandberg, Dernier, Matthews, Eckersley et.al;..really the whole damn team) and the second one through the farm (Maddux, Grace, Girardi, Jerome Walton, Dwight Smith, Damon Berryhil, not to mention trading a future 500 HR hitting, and 250 winning pitcher in Rafael Palmeiro and Jamie Moyer—also homegriown— to augment these youngsters). Green's player development puts Hendry's to shame, and to ignore Green's regime while tripping over yourself to praise Hendry's is shameful

Apologies in advance for being so combative, but that nonsense is so dumb (and so transparently equivocal, par for the course, I guess) that it glows in the dark. Jim Hendry is a bumbling buffoon who has stumbled into whatever success he's accidentally enjoyed and has produced so few homegrown players—even though he's been in player development for a major market franchise for over a decade— that you ought to be embarassed by any praise you throw his way. He's hardly been better than Ed Lynch, and the insult to Dallas Green is so steeped in wilfull and deceitful ignorance as to provide a disservice to your readers, even though you're just a blogger. My brain hurts.

Thanks for the plug.  Also, I blame BH for compelling me to visit that wasteland for the first time in months and being further compelled to leave that comment.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: August 18, 2011, 01:07:20 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 18, 2011, 12:58:16 PM

Thanks for the plug.  Also, I blame BH for compelling me to visit that wasteland for the first time in months and being further compelled to leave that comment.

John Holland also gets an honorable mention for being Not Terrible.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: August 18, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 18, 2011, 12:58:16 PM

"
While your comabtive tone seems a little unwarranted

I can't disagree with anything you said.
"

by Mapmaker

"Same here

Tone is unnecessary, but many valid points."

Fire Jim Hendry. Injuries aren't the problem.

by Shanghai Badger