News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 121,319 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #585 on: December 30, 2015, 08:31:09 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on December 30, 2015, 08:05:26 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 29, 2015, 05:33:33 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 29, 2015, 04:54:44 PM
The Sox are supposedly one of the frontrunners for Cespedes, which seems like such a White Sox move. I've been expecting them to sign him all offseason.

He probably won't repeat last year's career numbers but they have like a two year window so it's worth going for it. Just find a way to get Sale and Quintana into a playoff series and you have a chance.

That theory makes sense. The Cespedes and Frazier additions could net them, what 10 wins on paper? It's the same slapdick approach to team building that we used to deal with pre-Theo. There's a better chance that Sale and Q suffer catastrophic arm injuries at the same time than this team catching lightning in a bottle and qualifying for the playoffs with 87 wins. So they should actually trade Sale and Quintana and Frazier and bottom out. But they won't so, fine whatever. Cespedes, woo hoo.

Oh yeah, they have no depth whatsoever and if Sale or Abreu gets hurt they are fucked. But they won't blow it up, so they have to pick a direction and go full steam ahead regardless. Treading water and making no effort to compete in Sale's prime would be the worst thing they could do, might as well go nuts on Cespedes and hope they can get those 87 wins.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #586 on: December 30, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 30, 2015, 08:31:09 AM
The Sox are supposedly one of the frontrunners for Cespedes, which seems like such a White Sox move. I've been expecting them to sign him all offseason.

He probably won't repeat last year's career numbers but they have like a two year window so it's worth going for it. Just find a way to get Sale and Quintana into a playoff series and you have a chance.

That theory makes sense. The Cespedes and Frazier additions could net them, what 10 wins on paper? It's the same slapdick approach to team building that we used to deal with pre-Theo. There's a better chance that Sale and Q suffer catastrophic arm injuries at the same time than this team catching lightning in a bottle and qualifying for the playoffs with 87 wins. So they should actually trade Sale and Quintana and Frazier and bottom out. But they won't so, fine whatever. Cespedes, woo hoo.

Oh yeah, they have no depth whatsoever and if Sale or Abreu gets hurt they are fucked. But they won't blow it up, so they have to pick a direction and go full steam ahead regardless. Treading water and making no effort to compete in Sale's prime would be the worst thing they could do, might as well go nuts on Cespedes and hope they can get those 87 wins.

87 wins may be enough to make the playoffs in the AL.  We can argue about whether Cespedes is the right choice but I think they at least have a somewhat solid plan.

Melky was really good after June 1.  LaRouche is off the books after this year.  Lawrie isn't bad and is an upgrade.

There aren't many teams who could afford to lose on of their two best players for an extended period of time and still be all right, though.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #587 on: December 30, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 30, 2015, 08:54:55 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 30, 2015, 08:31:09 AM

87 wins may be enough to make the playoffs in the AL.  We can argue about whether Cespedes is the right choice but I think they at least have a somewhat solid plan.

Melky was really good after June 1.  LaRouche is off the books after this year.  Lawrie isn't bad and is an upgrade.

There aren't many teams who could afford to lose on of their two best players for an extended period of time and still be all right, though.

True. A better example would be that they still have no SS (unless you're really into Tyler Saladino) and basically any extended injury to the infielders they do have would be disastrous, and their defense overall is still probably going to be pretty crappy.

But if they sign Cespedes and they stay relatively healthy, could easily see 83-88 wins from that team, and with the Royals probably taking a step back (I say that warily after how they defied every reasonable projection last year), the Indians and Twins both probably looking like 83-85 win teams as well, and the Tigers still declining despite adding Zimmerman, that could definitely do it.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #588 on: December 30, 2015, 09:07:06 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 30, 2015, 08:59:28 AM

But if they sign Cespedes and they stay relatively healthy, could easily see 83-88 wins from that team, and with the Royals probably taking a step back (I say that warily after how they defied every reasonable projection last year), the Indians and Twins both probably looking like 83-85 win teams as well, and the Tigers still declining despite adding Zimmerman, that could definitely do it.

This is probably the rationale behind Cleveland not moving any of their pitchers. The fact the Royals have gotten worse and nobody's going to blow anybody out of the water suddenly makes them contenders.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #589 on: December 30, 2015, 09:10:56 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on December 30, 2015, 09:07:06 AM
Quote from: SKO on December 30, 2015, 08:59:28 AM

This is probably the rationale behind Cleveland not moving any of their pitchers. The fact the Royals have gotten worse and nobody's going to blow anybody out of the water suddenly makes them contenders.

Yeah, the Indians were a slightly underachieving 81 win team last year. They're definitely right in the thick of it in that division.

If the White Sox do somehow miss out on Gordon and Cespedes, or the Royals need someone to replace Gordon, I wonder if they might call the Cubs about Coghlan.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #590 on: December 30, 2015, 09:20:23 AM »
Quote from: SKO on December 30, 2015, 09:10:56 AM
If the White Sox do somehow miss out on Gordon and Cespedes, or the Royals need someone to replace Gordon, I wonder if they might call the Cubs about Coghlan.

Not sure the Cubs would be eager to give up their best option in RF though.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #591 on: December 30, 2015, 09:22:54 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 30, 2015, 09:20:23 AM

Now you're just stickpoking Apex.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #592 on: December 30, 2015, 09:27:20 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 30, 2015, 09:22:54 AM

*smashes laptop*
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #593 on: January 05, 2016, 04:27:33 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on December 30, 2015, 09:22:54 AM

This made me angry as well.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #594 on: January 06, 2016, 09:59:19 AM »
Waking up this morning to hear Gordon took a "hometown discount" of 4/72 from the Royals means the Sox will try throwing Heyward money at Cespedes.

I positive this.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #595 on: January 06, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 06, 2016, 09:59:19 AM
Waking up this morning to hear Gordon took a "hometown discount" of 4/72 from the Royals means the Sox will try throwing Heyward money at Cespedes.

I positive this.

The Sox don't want to give money to anyone right now, so I don't think that's in the cards.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #596 on: January 06, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
Quote from: Eli on January 06, 2016, 10:46:47 AM

I positive this.

The Sox don't want to give money to anyone right now, so I don't think that's in the cards.

Don't take this away from me.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #597 on: January 06, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 06, 2016, 10:52:36 AM

I positive this.

Yeah it's totally better the Sox overpay for a guy who will actually make them a better team than it is for them to end up getting no one and waste another year of Sale's prime as they go 79-83. I'm good with the latter.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #598 on: January 06, 2016, 11:09:43 AM »
I'm mostly glad Gordon went back to the Royals because he was the one free agent I could see potentially going to St. Louis. Definitely don't see them overpaying Cespedes or Upton.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #599 on: January 06, 2016, 11:27:54 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 06, 2016, 11:08:57 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on January 06, 2016, 10:52:36 AM

I positive this.

Yeah it's totally better the Sox overpay for a guy who will actually make them a better team than it is for them to end up getting no one and waste another year of Sale's prime as they go 79-83. I'm good with the latter.

They're a 79-83 team without him, an 82-80 financially hamstrung team with him. The second option is more fun.
TIME TO POST!