News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Chicago Shite Sox  ( 121,325 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Chicago Shite Sox
« Reply #720 on: April 22, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
I'd actually like to cast my vote for terrible second half collapse after they've traded the 2 prospects they actually have for a deadline acquisition that falls flat on his face (lookin' at you, Ryan Braun).
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #721 on: April 26, 2016, 09:35:23 AM »
When Hawk isn't on, this team and associated broadcast is moderately enjoyable.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #722 on: May 19, 2016, 08:01:15 AM »
I actually don't find this particularly Sox team very loathsome. I like a lot of the guys they have. But it has been fun watching Mat Latos crater as his bullshit stopped working. At one point he had like a 1.40 ERA and a 5+ FIP, now it's 4.00 ERA and 5.04 FIP.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #723 on: May 19, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 19, 2016, 08:01:15 AM
I actually don't find this particularly Sox team very loathsome. I like a lot of the guys they have. But it has been fun watching Mat Latos crater as his bullshit stopped working. At one point he had like a 1.40 ERA and a 5+ FIP, now it's 4.00 ERA and 5.04 FIP.

That gives them two giant holes in their rotation to go along with the erratic Carlos Rodon. Sale and Quintana have to be just about perfect for this team not to fall back to the pack. I don't know that the pack is all that spectacular so they may still end up winning the Central.

I don't find them loathsome myself but I don't exactly wish them well either.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #724 on: May 19, 2016, 09:45:25 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 19, 2016, 09:41:04 AM

That gives them two giant holes in their rotation to go along with the erratic Carlos Rodon. Sale and Quintana have to be just about perfect for this team not to fall back to the pack. I don't know that the pack is all that spectacular so they may still end up winning the Central.

Yeah, unless Rodon can find some control (and that's no sure bet, a lot of scouts had him pegged as a reliever for that exact reason), they're going to have a hard time winning more than 83-85 games (fangraphs has them projected for 85 right now), but in the AL that's also probably good enough to win the AL WC and maybe still the AL Central. I don't know what exactly it is about Cleveland that all of the projections find so attractive, especially with Kluber struggling and Carrasco hurt.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #725 on: May 19, 2016, 09:47:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 19, 2016, 09:45:25 AM

Yeah, unless Rodon can find some control (and that's no sure bet, a lot of scouts had him pegged as a reliever for that exact reason), they're going to have a hard time winning more than 83-85 games (fangraphs has them projected for 85 right now), but in the AL that's also probably good enough to win the AL WC and maybe still the AL Central. I don't know what exactly it is about Cleveland that all of the projections find so attractive, especially with Kluber struggling and Carrasco hurt.

Kansas City is going to win the Central. I don't know why I said that. AL Selig Card is wide ass open though.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #726 on: May 19, 2016, 09:50:40 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 19, 2016, 09:47:31 AM

Kansas City is going to win the Central. I don't know why I said that. AL Selig Card is wide ass open though.

Yeah, the problem for the Sox is that their farm system still sucks, and with the AL so wide open there aren't going to be too many sellers, so when Latos and that fifth starter grab bag they have keep sucking they're not going to be able to find much of an improvement on the market. Hence the reason they were interested in Lincecum, who sucks. They definitely don't have the luxury of giving Rodon some more time in the minors if he should keep up his recent Ankiel impersonation. So if Quintana falls back to earth a little bit and Rodon is just going to be mediocre or worse, they could plummet big time.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #727 on: May 19, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 19, 2016, 09:50:40 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on May 19, 2016, 09:47:31 AM

Yeah, the problem for the Sox is that their farm system still sucks, and with the AL so wide open there aren't going to be too many sellers, so when Latos and that fifth starter grab bag they have keep sucking they're not going to be able to find much of an improvement on the market. Hence the reason they were interested in Lincecum, who sucks. They definitely don't have the luxury of giving Rodon some more time in the minors if he should keep up his recent Ankiel impersonation. So if Quintana falls back to earth a little bit and Rodon is just going to be mediocre or worse, they could plummet big time.

It's going to be fun.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #728 on: May 23, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »
Go Tribe

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #729 on: May 25, 2016, 08:16:27 AM »

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #730 on: May 26, 2016, 07:50:33 AM »

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #731 on: May 26, 2016, 08:12:30 AM »
I did not engage because I didn't know any of these people but I saw a facebook conversation Huey got into wherein a Sox fan replied to a Cubs fan trolling them with "worry about your own slumping team, Sox are 10-12 in their last 22 (now 10-13) while Cubs are just 13-9 (now 14-9)". In what fucking world is being 2 games under .500 comparable to being 3 games over? 13-9 is a .591 winning percentage. If they did that all fucking year they'd win 95 games. Anyways, those of you that actually know and engage with these people on a daily basis, I get the tea sippin'. Keep on keepin on.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #732 on: May 26, 2016, 08:25:40 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 26, 2016, 08:12:30 AM
I did not engage because I didn't know any of these people but I saw a facebook conversation Huey got into wherein a Sox fan replied to a Cubs fan trolling them with "worry about your own slumping team, Sox are 10-12 in their last 22 (now 10-13) while Cubs are just 13-9 (now 14-9)". In what fucking world is being 2 games under .500 comparable to being 3 games over? 13-9 is a .591 winning percentage. If they did that all fucking year they'd win 95 games. Anyways, those of you that actually know and engage with these people on a daily basis, I get the tea sippin'. Keep on keepin on.

Though I KNOW I shouldn't care about how the Sox are doing in any instances when the Cubs are doing well (on the other hand if the Cubs are bad then the Sox being bad is all I can hope for), I confess to being annoyed about 3 weeks ago when the Sox were atop of the American and I'll further confess that I've enjoyed their slide downward toward mediocrity since.  Hope it continues and that they'll be rendered irrelevant altogether by August. 
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #733 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on May 26, 2016, 08:25:40 AM
Quote from: SKO on May 26, 2016, 08:12:30 AM

Though I KNOW I shouldn't care about how the Sox are doing in any instances when the Cubs are doing well (on the other hand if the Cubs are bad then the Sox being bad is all I can hope for), I confess to being annoyed about 3 weeks ago when the Sox were atop of the American and I'll further confess that I've enjoyed their slide downward toward mediocrity since.  Hope it continues and that they'll be rendered irrelevant altogether by August. 

The problem with that theory is I just don't know if they can slide far enough in that league. The current projected AL playoff picture per fangraphs:

Red Sox 93-69
Mariners 88-74
Indians 87-75
Orioles 85-77

WC:
White Sox 83-79
Rangers 83-79
Blue Jays/Yankees/Tigers 82-80
Rays/Royals 80-82

Given that swampy morass battling for the wildcard spots there I don't really see a compelling argument where any of them are clearly better than even the most mediocre version of this year's White Sox. Sale, Quintana, and about 50% of Good Rodon the rest of the way is probably enough. Although it would be pretty fun to see the Sox have to burn Sale in the wildcard game and have Mat Latos or Carlos Rodon's tightrope act starting game 2 of a division series against the Red Sox offense.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #734 on: May 28, 2016, 04:48:54 PM »
Hahahaha