News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Office  ( 310,310 )

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Office
« Reply #735 on: April 19, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on April 19, 2008, 05:24:33 PM
Quote from: Kerm on April 19, 2008, 03:41:22 PM
Quote from: Weebs on April 18, 2008, 12:50:41 AM
Kudos to the writers on this episode.  It was incredible.  I figured at the end Michael was going to get closure with Jan, but they go to the grave of a woman who (if I read it correctly) had been dead for 5 years?  Brilliant.  It's like the dead bird all over again.  Also, Michael trying to back out of the meeting with Pam's landlady and having his drink served at the same moment had me crying.  I'm glad they've managed to keep Jim and Pam interesting after getting them together, though I have a feeling there will be some wedge to come between them sooner or later.

I found the scene with the landlady very interesting, as that was the first throwback to the BBC version I can remember since about the first season.

I still haven't seen the BBC version of the show.  I've been meaning to, but just haven't bought it yet.  If what you mean though is it's the first time Michael's sort of been a jackass, then I agree.  Though I've actually just got done re-watching season 2, and he certainly has his moments.  But I think it's obvious they wanted to make Michael a little more likable.  He's more of a klutz than an asshole in the American version.

How about you watch the BBC version first, sport?  Having a conversation about what you think Kerm meant in referencing a show you haven't seen is...well, it seems like a waste of words.

Honest.  It'll be like eating a bag of M & M's.  There are only about 12 episodes or so.  Won't take you long.  You'll be glad you did. 
FIRE EVERYBODY!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #736 on: April 20, 2008, 02:21:52 AM »
Quote from: Mike D on April 19, 2008, 08:55:47 PM
Kudos to the writers on this episode.  It was incredible.  I figured at the end Michael was going to get closure with Jan, but they go to the grave of a woman who (if I read it correctly) had been dead for 5 years?  Brilliant.  It's like the dead bird all over again.  Also, Michael trying to back out of the meeting with Pam's landlady and having his drink served at the same moment had me crying.  I'm glad they've managed to keep Jim and Pam interesting after getting them together, though I have a feeling there will be some wedge to come between them sooner or later.

I found the scene with the landlady very interesting, as that was the first throwback to the BBC version I can remember since about the first season.

I still haven't seen the BBC version of the show.  I've been meaning to, but just haven't bought it yet. If what you mean though is it's the first time Michael's sort of been a jackass, then I agree.  Though I've actually just got done re-watching season 2, and he certainly has his moments.  But I think it's obvious they wanted to make Michael a little more likable.  He's more of a klutz than an asshole in the American version.

How about you watch the BBC version first, sport?  Having a conversation about what you think Kerm meant in referencing a show you haven't seen is...well, it seems like a waste of words.

Honest.  It'll be like eating a bag of M & M's.  There are only about 12 episodes or so.  Won't take you long.  You'll be glad you did. 

Well I know Ricky Gervais' character in the BBC version is just a complete dick and really shows no compassion for anyone else.  I haven't seen it, but I've gotten a pretty thorough synopsis from other people.  And it's not as if I don't want to watch it, I just haven't gotten around to spending the $40 or however much it is to buy the two seasons.

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #737 on: April 20, 2008, 07:57:25 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on April 20, 2008, 02:21:52 AM

I still haven't seen the BBC version of the show.  I've been meaning to, but just haven't bought it yet. If what you mean though is it's the first time Michael's sort of been a jackass, then I agree.  Though I've actually just got done re-watching season 2, and he certainly has his moments.  But I think it's obvious they wanted to make Michael a little more likable.  He's more of a klutz than an asshole in the American version.

Well I know Ricky Gervais' character in the BBC version is just a complete dick and really shows no compassion for anyone else.  I haven't seen it, but I've gotten a pretty thorough synopsis from other people.  And it's not as if I don't want to watch it, I just haven't gotten around to spending the $40 or however much it is to buy the two seasons.

Oh, well if you know that, then, really, there's no need to watch it.  Don't waste your time.  It's not like it's awesome on a platter or anything.  And that synopsis is simply spot-on, sport.  If I were you, then I'd just tell people that you've seen it because it sounds like you basically have. 
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #738 on: April 20, 2008, 08:37:31 AM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on April 20, 2008, 07:57:25 AM

Oh, well if you know that, then, really, there's no need to watch it.  Don't waste your time.  It's not like it's awesome on a platter or anything.  And that synopsis is simply spot-on, sport.  If I were you, then I'd just tell people that you've seen it because it sounds like you basically have. 

Is there any particular reason that I'm being attacked because I gave an opinion on something?  I didn't once try to argue a point with BK or Mike D about The Office.  I simply said I hadn't seen the BBC version, but had heard things about it and was basing my opinion off of that.  Everyone I've heard from has told me that in the BBC version, Gervais' character pretty much has no compassion for anyone else, which is the opposite of what they're trying to do with Carrell's character.  I never said I was "right" or that I was even trying to be "right."  I'm not one to get defensive about forum posts, but it's bullshit that what's gone from me basically stating an opinion (not in the context of arguing against anybody else's point) has turned into me somehow declaring I'm all-knowing in regards to something I know little about.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #739 on: April 20, 2008, 09:16:42 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on April 20, 2008, 08:37:31 AM
Quote from: Three times a JD on April 20, 2008, 07:57:25 AM

Is there any particular reason that I'm being attacked because I gave an opinion on something?   I didn't once try to argue a point with BK or Mike D about The Office.  I simply said I hadn't seen the BBC version, but had heard things about it and was basing my opinion off of that.  Everyone I've heard from has told me that in the BBC version, Gervais' character pretty much has no compassion for anyone else, which is the opposite of what they're trying to do with Carrell's character.  I never said I was "right" or that I was even trying to be "right."  I'm not one to get defensive about forum posts, but it's bullshit that what's gone from me basically stating an opinion (not in the context of arguing against anybody else's point) has turned into me somehow declaring I'm all-knowing in regards to something I know little about.

I don't want to speak for them, but I'd say they're just busting your balls, Weebs.  That's my expert analysis.

Also, I've never seen the English version of the Office either, but it probably sucks.  Everybody who says they like it better than the American one is just some elitist dickbag, or is actually English (which is the same thing).  And now that the American version of the show has become popular, they gotta come in here with that snooty bullshit, and tread on the rest of us.  Well, they ain't gonna tread on me.

Rock, flag, and eagle.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #740 on: April 20, 2008, 11:08:04 AM »
Weebs, all I meant was that the scene was incredibly similar to the one used in the BBC version, which is probably the reason Michael seemed like a jackass.  Observe.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #741 on: April 20, 2008, 11:44:53 AM »

Weebs, if you have Comcast with OnDemand, you can watch the first episode of the British Office for free thanks to BBC America.

It'll look pretty familiar to you, as it's the only episode from the Brit version that was transposed wholesale to the American version.

They also currently have the last 3 episodes of the British second season available, too, but if you're gonna watch it, you might as well watch it in order.

So borrow the DVDs from this friend who was kind enough to synopsize it for you. Or rent it from Netflix, or Blockbuster or whatever. Either option should run you less than 40 clams.
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #742 on: April 20, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on April 20, 2008, 08:37:31 AM
Is there any particular reason that I'm being attacked because I gave an opinion on something?  I didn't once try to argue a point with BK or Mike D about The Office.  I simply said I hadn't seen the BBC version, but had heard things about it and was basing my opinion off of that.  Everyone I've heard from has told me that in the BBC version, Gervais' character pretty much has no compassion for anyone else, which is the opposite of what they're trying to do with Carrell's character.  I never said I was "right" or that I was even trying to be "right."  I'm not one to get defensive about forum posts, but it's bullshit that what's gone from me basically stating an opinion (not in the context of arguing against anybody else's point) has turned into me somehow declaring I'm all-knowing in regards to something I know little about.

Mostly in hopes that you'd write something similar to the six sentences that followed your question.
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

Al Yellon

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #743 on: April 20, 2008, 09:07:03 PM »
Quit attacking posters, daggumit!

JakeD

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #744 on: April 24, 2008, 08:49:20 PM »
"I'm a bank teller."

"Ryan always told me to tell women I'm in finance."

That was vintage Dwight tonight.
I'm gonna rise up, I'm gonna kick a little ass, Gonna kick some ass in the USA, Gonna climb a mountain, Gonna sew a flag, Gonna fly on an Eagle, I'm gonna kick some butt, I'm gonna drive a big truck, Gonna kick some ass - ROCK, FLAG AND EAGLE!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #745 on: April 24, 2008, 10:06:48 PM »
Quote from: JakeD on April 24, 2008, 08:49:20 PM
"I'm a bank teller."

This had to have been one of the weirdest episodes I've ever seen.  I guess it makes sense for Ryan to develop a drug habit, but still, it just kind of comes out of nowhere.  Plus there wasn't really any kind of resolution to the episode, that is to say if there was even a setup.  I do think Dwight's moments were pretty incredible though, especially all the hobbit talk.  It was weird how much of a fuck up Jim was this episode, but I guess they might be trying to show how his relationship with Pam may be affecting his work, or just that he's not as "perfect" as he's always seemed throughout the series.

butthead

• Fukakke Fan Club
    • aj_vassallo@hotmail.com
« Reply #746 on: April 24, 2008, 11:07:51 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on April 24, 2008, 10:06:48 PM
"I'm a bank teller."

This had to have been one of the weirdest episodes I've ever seen.  I guess it makes sense for Ryan to develop a drug habit, but still, it just kind of comes out of nowhere.  Plus there wasn't really any kind of resolution to the episode, that is to say if there was even a setup.  I do think Dwight's moments were pretty incredible though, especially all the hobbit talk.  It was weird how much of a fuck up Jim was this episode, but I guess they might be trying to show how his relationship with Pam may be affecting his work, or just that he's not as "perfect" as he's always seemed throughout the series.

Or maybe they thought it would be funny to have everyone stuck in the parking lot. I think you might be over analyzing the show a bit.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #747 on: April 25, 2008, 12:37:52 AM »
Quote from: butthead on April 24, 2008, 11:07:51 PM
Quote from: Weebs on April 24, 2008, 10:06:48 PM
"I'm a bank teller."

Or maybe they thought it would be funny to have everyone stuck in the parking lot. I think you might be over analyzing the show a bit.

Or maybe you're under analyzing.  Generally writers, especially with a show like The Office, don't just do something to do it.  That's reserved for shitty comedies like Everybody Loves Raymond.  I'd find it really hard to believe that a show that's grounded so much in character development would expose flaws in these characters for no reason at all.

KD

• Jazz Life
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #748 on: April 25, 2008, 02:23:09 AM »
This guy can't be real.

He has to be some hoo-ha with a midwestern sensibility having some fun with us.

Right.

RIGHT?!?@?!?!?@#$?!?!

Yah mo B there!

PTanner

• Desipio Social Director
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #749 on: April 25, 2008, 05:58:09 AM »

Creed likes the website.
Don't read too much into any of it. It's Rozner. He's a fucking idiot.