News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Office  ( 310,344 )

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
Re: The Office
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on May 16, 2008, 04:58:32 PM
Quote from: bocaj on May 16, 2008, 04:48:33 PM
Quote from: Poon on May 16, 2008, 12:43:34 PM
What was with that broken chair?  I mean, I didn't find anything funny about that.  Why would you have a broken chair on a tv show?  How is that funny?  I mean, I guess you could say that in a way it's just a plot device like the sideways carousel used to further the story line of Michael Scott and the new character but c'mon.  A chair?  That's just unrealistic.  Pffft.  Chairs.

Dude, don't even get me fucking started on that damn chair.

Chairs are unapologetically ridiculous and borderline racist. 

Plus, they always seem to move backwards whenever I sit down. Bastards.
How can we win, when fools can be kings? Don't waste your time or time will waste you...

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #856 on: May 17, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »
I watched it tonight.  This was my favorite episode of the season.  Though I'll miss Toby (I loved his face when he pointed out that Pam wasn't in the picture), I sort of like how the new H.R. lady seems to be reigning in Michael a little bit.

Slak already pointed out my favorite line.  "MISTER Andy Bernard.  Has a nice ring to it."  That was awesome.

I really liked how they acknowledged and used the fact that the guy who plays Kevin talks like a retard all the time.

Has Creed been getting more screen time this season?  It seems like it, and that's a very good thing.

Phyllis is planning the next M.E.P.

Al Yellon

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #857 on: May 17, 2008, 04:40:14 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on May 17, 2008, 12:16:31 AM
I watched it tonight.  This was my favorite episode of the season.  Though I'll miss Toby (I loved his face when he pointed out that Pam wasn't in the picture), I sort of like how the new H.R. lady seems to be reigning in Michael a little bit.

Slak already pointed out my favorite line.  "MISTER Andy Bernard.  Has a nice ring to it."  That was awesome.

I really liked how they acknowledged and used the fact that the guy who plays Kevin talks like a retard all the time.

Has Creed been getting more screen time this season?  It seems like it, and that's a very good thing.

Phyllis's phone conversastion with directory assistance was awesome.

Phyllis: Hi, are there any local companies that rent anti-gravity machines?
Operator: Anti-gravity machines?
Phyllis: Uh-huh. That's right.
Operator: What do they do exactly?
Phyllis: They make you feel lighter.
Operator: Anti-gravity?  Um...Anti-depressants. I can put you through to someone on that.
Phyllis: Ok.

Three times a JD

• College Basketball Expert
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #858 on: May 17, 2008, 05:26:22 PM »
Quote from: ChuckDickens on May 17, 2008, 04:40:14 PM

Operator: Anti-gravity?  Um...Anti-depressants. I can put you through to someone on that.

Awesome, yes.  Realistic?  It couldn't have been more made up if there were writers writing things down for her to say out loud.  Sorry.  I'm just not buying this show as a true documentary anymore.  Put me in the Weebs and bocaj group. 
Hey, I gotta go where the Blacktion is.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #859 on: May 17, 2008, 05:46:49 PM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on May 17, 2008, 05:26:22 PM

Awesome, yes.  Realistic?  It couldn't have been more made up if there were writers writing things down for her to say out loud.  Sorry.  I'm just not buying this show as a true documentary anymore.  Put me in the Weebs and bocaj group. 

You know what a character-driven story is, correct?  Or in this case, a character-driven comedy?  The show hasn't been "realistic" this season because it's turned every character into total exaggerations of themselves.  You're telling me, despite how dumb Michael can be, that he would ever drive his car into a lake because the GPS told him to?  That anyone would do that?  Everyone on here thought it was dumb that Dwight actually believed Ryan's friend was a hobbit.  Honestly, if you want cartoon characters, go watch some Family Guy.  The writers have done a horrible job this season of making the characters believable; not realistic, but believable.  I don't care if they're doing things normal people probably wouldn't do, but it's bad writing when they're doing things that those characters wouldn't do.  It's lazy writing to make a character do something just for the sake of it being funny, especially on a show that's done the exact opposite for three seasons.

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #860 on: May 17, 2008, 06:16:09 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 17, 2008, 05:46:49 PM

You know what a character-driven story is, correct?  Or in this case, a character-driven comedy?  The show hasn't been "realistic" this season because it's turned every character into total exaggerations of themselves.  You're telling me, despite how dumb Michael can be, that he would ever drive his car into a lake because the GPS told him to?  That anyone would do that?  Everyone on here thought it was dumb that Dwight actually believed Ryan's friend was a hobbit.  Honestly, if you want cartoon characters, go watch some Family Guy.  The writers have done a horrible job this season of making the characters believable; not realistic, but believable.  I don't care if they're doing things normal people probably wouldn't do, but it's bad writing when they're doing things that those characters wouldn't do.  It's lazy writing to make a character do something just for the sake of it being funny, especially on a show that's done the exact opposite for three seasons.

Ya, what he said...
How can we win, when fools can be kings? Don't waste your time or time will waste you...

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #861 on: May 17, 2008, 06:17:28 PM »
Quote from: bocaj on May 17, 2008, 06:16:09 PM

Ya, what he said...

Dammit bocaj, don't agree with me.  It just discredits everything I say.

Three times a JD

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #862 on: May 17, 2008, 06:33:40 PM »

You do know what a joke is, right?  Or in this case, teasing?  The characters on teh comedy have always been caricatures.  Have a couple things been a little over the top?  Probably.  Is it ridiculous that a guy who believes in vampires and werewolves would believe in hobbits, too?  Probably not.  If you don't think that there are some ridiculous things that happen in offices or that pranks get played on people or that some people are obliviously and gloriously racist, then, honestly, you're probably still in college.  That's probably why you can't appreciate things that are funny just for teh sake of bringing the funny. 
And why should I go watch the Family Guy?  You're the one that apparently doesn't like it.  Go watch the evening news.

CT II

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #863 on: May 17, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on May 17, 2008, 06:33:40 PM
And why should I go watch the Family Guy?

You shouldn't.  Ever.
I don't get this KurtEvans Photoshop at all

Three times a JD

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #864 on: May 17, 2008, 06:47:27 PM »
Quote from: CT II on May 17, 2008, 06:41:01 PM

You shouldn't.  Ever.

It's settled.  I won't.  Weebs and bocaj will.

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #865 on: May 17, 2008, 06:56:00 PM »
Quote from: Three times a JD on May 17, 2008, 06:47:27 PM

You shouldn't.  Ever.

I don't like that show.

I likes me shows with some intellemegence: like Arrested Development, Lost, most South Parks, etc.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #866 on: May 17, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »
Quote from: bocaj on May 17, 2008, 06:56:00 PM

You shouldn't.  Ever.

I don't like that show.

I likes me shows with some intellemegence: like Arrested Development, Lost, most South Parks, etc.

That's not it at all.

One of the most appealing aspects of the show to me, and I'd assume to a majority of its viewers, is the believable characters I can relate to.  That's why we like most characters in any story.  If we can't relate to them, they're not appealing to us.  No, I haven't worked in an office like that, but it doesn't mean I can't relate to the people and situations in the show.  My problem with this season is all of the characters have become two-dimensional or just complete exaggerations of themselves.  It's like how Christopher Walken or Sam Jackson have just become caricatures of themselves in all of their movies.  They've gone so far to the extreme with most of the characters on the show this season (because of the writer's strike or just bad writing) that I don't think they're relatable anymore.  What they do is still funny, but it's only funny because the situations they're in or what they say are just naturally funny and you could replace the characters with any other characters.  It's not like I see this season as a complete failure, as "The Deposition," "Chairmodel" and this season finale are three of my favorite episodes of the series, but in general they just took the show and the characters in a completely different direction from where it had been going for three seasons.

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #867 on: May 18, 2008, 12:35:24 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 17, 2008, 08:56:22 PM
Quote from: bocaj on May 17, 2008, 06:56:00 PM

You shouldn't.  Ever.

I don't like that show.

That's not it at all.

One of the most appealing aspects of the show to me, and I'd assume to a majority of its viewers, is the believable characters I can relate to.  That's why we like most characters in any story.  If we can't relate to them, they're not appealing to us.  No, I haven't worked in an office like that, but it doesn't mean I can't relate to the people and situations in the show.  My problem with this season is all of the characters have become two-dimensional or just complete exaggerations of themselves.  It's like how Christopher Walken or Sam Jackson have just become caricatures of themselves in all of their movies.  They've gone so far to the extreme with most of the characters on the show this season (because of the writer's strike or just bad writing) that I don't think they're relatable anymore.  What they do is still funny, but it's only funny because the situations they're in or what they say are just naturally funny and you could replace the characters with any other characters.  It's not like I see this season as a complete failure, as "The Deposition," "Chairmodel" and this season finale are three of my favorite episodes of the series, but in general they just took the show and the characters in a completely different direction from where it had been going for three seasons.

Nah, I think The Office is an intelligent show. But what I meant to mean by saying I enjoy intelligent shows, is that I like creativity, originality, substance, etc. For instance, I usually can't stand fake laughter in shows (unless it's made up for, like in Seinfeld), while it's proven that people generally eat it up.

And I agree that The Office seems to be changing a lot, and that's what I meant by my comments: some people are getting too ridiculous. (Though it is still a funny show.)

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #868 on: May 18, 2008, 12:14:28 PM »
Well since that convo was going nowhere and getting uber-ghey, how bout we interrupt it with the ORIGINAL version of The Office:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/20337/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-japanese-office#s-p1-sr-i1

bocaj

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #869 on: May 18, 2008, 12:27:39 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on May 18, 2008, 12:14:28 PM
Well since that convo was going nowhere and getting uber-ghey, how bout we interrupt it with the ORIGINAL version of The Office:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/20337/saturday-night-live-snl-digital-short-japanese-office#s-p1-sr-i1

You stole this from some guy in the Shoutbox. Stealer!