News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Office  ( 310,310 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Office
« Reply #1425 on: October 01, 2009, 11:15:11 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2009, 11:07:53 AM
Quote from: Weebs on October 01, 2009, 09:43:16 AM
It wasn't this past episode.  It was this season so far...

What the hell? There have been two episodes.

You're worse than BC.

Had the Bears lost last week, I'd have concluded that JAKE UTLER needs to go!
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1426 on: October 01, 2009, 11:18:08 AM »
Quote from: MAD on October 01, 2009, 11:15:11 AM

You're worse than BC.

Had the Bears lost last week, I'd have concluded that JAKE UTLER needs to go!

Ron Turner and the secondary for the real BC Experience.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1427 on: October 01, 2009, 11:22:35 AM »

You're worse than BC.

And so far, they've been TERRIBLE!
Hire Jim Essian!

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1428 on: October 01, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »
It's been better since Jim and Pam got together. The drama of their relationship was distracting from the awesomeness of Creed and Kevin and the other secondary characters.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1429 on: October 01, 2009, 11:47:33 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2009, 10:52:54 AM
There's a reason The Office has changed so much the last couple years, and that's because it had to. The British version lasted a whopping two seasons. The show actually has to evolve and have character development or else it would get repetitive and boring. I'm sure its pisses you off that the show has gotten out of the nice little corner you'd hemmed it into, but believe it or not the plot had to evolve past fleeting glances between Jim and Pam and Jim putting Dwight's shit in jello. Get over it.

Quote from: Tony on October 01, 2009, 11:33:41 AM
It's been better since Jim and Pam got together. The drama of their relationship was distracting from the awesomeness of Creed and Kevin and the other secondary characters.

These.

Far too many shows thrive on that "will they or won't they" romantic tension alone and then suck after the characters hook finally up.

The Office has survived it because it's better than that, and is fully capable of actual character development.

But Weebs feels "The Injury" was better than "Gossip," so the show "fucking sucks now."
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1430 on: October 01, 2009, 11:52:23 AM »
Getting off the wildly popular tradition of bashing Weebs' skull in, has anybody noticed Michael's desperation to be reaching epic proportions?  Maybe I didn't realize how bad it was in the previous seasons, but this season (and part of last season) it really started to get so uncomfortable watching him that I couldn't watch.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1431 on: October 01, 2009, 11:52:54 AM »
Adding: you know what Season 6 episode is going to fucking suck?

This Season 6 episode is going to fucking suck.

QuoteThe Office travels to Niagara Falls to celebrate Jim (John Krasinski) and Pam's (Jenna Fischer) wedding under strict orders not to mention Pam's pregnancy. Michael (Steve Carell), Dwight (Rainn Wilson), and Andy (Ed Helms) all want to hook up with guests at the wedding and Michael and Dwight meet twins.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1432 on: October 01, 2009, 11:54:13 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 01, 2009, 11:52:23 AM
Getting off the wildly popular tradition of bashing Weebs' skull in, has anybody noticed Michael's desperation to be reaching epic proportions?  Maybe I didn't realize how bad it was in the previous seasons, but this season (and part of last season) it really started to get so uncomfortable watching him that I couldn't watch.

Now that you mention it, I have begun to notice a certain amount of awkwardness on this show.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1433 on: October 01, 2009, 12:08:43 PM »

Absolutely agree.  I also like that once they put Jim and Pam together, they just stayed that way because my heart couldn't take any more of JAM being apart and focused on the other characters.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1434 on: October 01, 2009, 12:20:13 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2009, 12:08:43 PM

Absolutely agree.  I also like that once they put Jim and Pam together, they just stayed that way because my heart couldn't take any more of JAM being apart and focused on the other characters.

So very much this. Guess what TV? Sometimes two people get together and never break up. Crazy shakes, I know.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1435 on: October 01, 2009, 01:13:03 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 01, 2009, 09:33:40 AM
I don't even get why the past episode would be the one to make Weebs hate it.  I also don't get why I've wasted thirty seconds of my time thinking about Weebs' opinion of The Office.

It wasn't this past episode.  It was this season so far, and a majority of the last two or three seasons.  They're playing season 2 episodes on FOX now and the show was much, much better back then.  It all went downhill at the start of season 4.

Why? Because Jim and Pam got together? Let me guess, you're one of those fans of the British version and loved the first couple seasons because the plot was nearly identical and its just "so pivotal" to the dynamic that Jim and Pam keep up their "will they or won't they" crap? There's a reason The Office has changed so much the last couple years, and that's because it had to. The British version lasted a whopping two seasons. The show actually has to evolve and have character development or else it would get repetitive and boring. I'm sure its pisses you off that the show has gotten out of the nice little corner you'd hemmed it into, but believe it or not the plot had to evolve past fleeting glances between Jim and Pam and Jim putting Dwight's shit in jello. Get over it.

I actually never watched the British version until a couple months ago.  And obviously the Jim and Pam thing had to end.  Keeping that crap going is what ruins most TV shows.  I just think that since that point, the show has gone downhill.  Not because of that relationship, but because the entire tone of the show changed.  I'm all for character development, but I just don't like the way they've developed most of the characters.  Sue me.  I think it's stupid that Michael went from being a little naive and kind of a dick who was bad at his manager job, but still seemed to be a fairly competent guy at times (from what I've seen of the British version, that's pretty similar to Ricky Gervais' character), to a lovable idiot.  I think it's stupid that Ryan, Pam and Jan all changed personalities almost to the point where the only similarities between their characters in seasons 1-3 and season 4 was that they had the same names.

I'm not against the reasoning for why the show changed so much after season 3.  A show has to change to keep from being repetitive.  But I just think they took it in a bad direction.  I apologize that the rest of you think it's still awesome and I do not.  Please, continue with the Weebs-hate.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1436 on: October 01, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on October 01, 2009, 01:13:03 PM
I don't even get why the past episode would be the one to make Weebs hate it.  I also don't get why I've wasted thirty seconds of my time thinking about Weebs' opinion of The Office.

It wasn't this past episode.  It was this season so far, and a majority of the last two or three seasons.  They're playing season 2 episodes on FOX now and the show was much, much better back then.  It all went downhill at the start of season 4.

Why? Because Jim and Pam got together? Let me guess, you're one of those fans of the British version and loved the first couple seasons because the plot was nearly identical and its just "so pivotal" to the dynamic that Jim and Pam keep up their "will they or won't they" crap? There's a reason The Office has changed so much the last couple years, and that's because it had to. The British version lasted a whopping two seasons. The show actually has to evolve and have character development or else it would get repetitive and boring. I'm sure its pisses you off that the show has gotten out of the nice little corner you'd hemmed it into, but believe it or not the plot had to evolve past fleeting glances between Jim and Pam and Jim putting Dwight's shit in jello. Get over it.

I actually never watched the British version until a couple months ago.  And obviously the Jim and Pam thing had to end.  Keeping that crap going is what ruins most TV shows.  I just think that since that point, the show has gone downhill.  Not because of that relationship, but because the entire tone of the show changed.  I'm all for character development, but I just don't like the way they've developed most of the characters.  Sue me.  I think it's stupid that Michael went from being a little naive and kind of a dick who was bad at his manager job, but still seemed to be a fairly competent guy at times (from what I've seen of the British version, that's pretty similar to Ricky Gervais' character), to a lovable idiot.  I think it's stupid that Ryan, Pam and Jan all changed personalities almost to the point where the only similarities between their characters in seasons 1-3 and season 4 was that they had the same names.

I'm not against the reasoning for why the show changed so much after season 3.  A show has to change to keep from being repetitive.  But I just think they took it in a bad direction.  I apologize that the rest of you think it's still awesome and I do not.  Please, continue with the Weebs-hate.

If by this you mean more Daryle, Kevin and Creed, I'm all for it.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1437 on: October 01, 2009, 01:30:30 PM »
I think it's stupid that Ryan, Pam and Jan all changed personalities almost to the point where the only similarities between their characters in seasons 1-3 and season 4 was that they had the same names.

Ryan changed a ton, yes, but what is so different about Jim and Pam?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1438 on: October 01, 2009, 01:34:01 PM »

I sure hope you take a shot at explaining how Jim's personality has changed since the start of the series.  One might suggest that his motivation has changed, since he's actually maturing and thinking about his career, which would be realistic.  But his personality is exactly the same.  You know how I can tell?  Because John Krasinski can play exactly one character, and that character is Jim Halpert.

I see Eli just FACED me, but fuck it.  I'm posting, anyhow.

Incidentally, I don't think Ryan's personality has changed much, either.  He's always been an arrogant party person who thought he was too good for his temp job, and certainly thought he was better than everyone else in the office (most notably Jim, Michael, and Kelly).  Once he got exposed to "the scene," he got out of control.  I think he's been pretty consistent, honestly.
Hire Jim Essian!

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1439 on: October 01, 2009, 01:44:29 PM »
I enjoy watching the Office. But am starting to think I don't pay enough attention to every f'ng detail about it, to truly understand or appreciate it.