News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Office  ( 310,312 )

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Office
« Reply #1440 on: October 01, 2009, 01:48:01 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 01, 2009, 01:34:01 PM
Quote from: Weebs on October 01, 2009, 01:13:03 PM
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2009, 10:52:54 AM
Quote from: Weebs on October 01, 2009, 09:43:16 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 01, 2009, 09:33:40 AM
I don't even get why the past episode would be the one to make Weebs hate it.  I also don't get why I've wasted thirty seconds of my time thinking about Weebs' opinion of The Office.

It wasn't this past episode.  It was this season so far, and a majority of the last two or three seasons.  They're playing season 2 episodes on FOX now and the show was much, much better back then.  It all went downhill at the start of season 4.

Why? Because Jim and Pam got together? Let me guess, you're one of those fans of the British version and loved the first couple seasons because the plot was nearly identical and its just "so pivotal" to the dynamic that Jim and Pam keep up their "will they or won't they" crap? There's a reason The Office has changed so much the last couple years, and that's because it had to. The British version lasted a whopping two seasons. The show actually has to evolve and have character development or else it would get repetitive and boring. I'm sure its pisses you off that the show has gotten out of the nice little corner you'd hemmed it into, but believe it or not the plot had to evolve past fleeting glances between Jim and Pam and Jim putting Dwight's shit in jello. Get over it.

I actually never watched the British version until a couple months ago.  And obviously the Jim and Pam thing had to end.  Keeping that crap going is what ruins most TV shows.  I just think that since that point, the show has gone downhill.  Not because of that relationship, but because the entire tone of the show changed.  I'm all for character development, but I just don't like the way they've developed most of the characters.  Sue me.  I think it's stupid that Michael went from being a little naive and kind of a dick who was bad at his manager job, but still seemed to be a fairly competent guy at times (from what I've seen of the British version, that's pretty similar to Ricky Gervais' character), to a lovable idiot.  I think it's stupid that Ryan, Pam and Jan all changed personalities almost to the point where the only similarities between their characters in seasons 1-3 and season 4 was that they had the same names.

I'm not against the reasoning for why the show changed so much after season 3.  A show has to change to keep from being repetitive.  But I just think they took it in a bad direction.  I apologize that the rest of you think it's still awesome and I do not.  Please, continue with the Weebs-hate.

I sure hope you take a shot at explaining how Jim's personality has changed since the start of the series.  One might suggest that his motivation has changed, since he's actually maturing and thinking about his career, which would be realistic.  But his personality is exactly the same.  You know how I can tell?  Because John Krasinski can play exactly one character, and that character is Jim Halpert.

I see Eli just FACED me, but fuck it.  I'm posting, anyhow.

Incidentally, I don't think Ryan's personality has changed much, either.  He's always been an arrogant party person who thought he was too good for his temp job, and certainly thought he was better than everyone else in the office (most notably Jim, Michael, and Kelly).  Once he got exposed to "the scene," he got out of control.  I think he's been pretty consistent, honestly.

Apparently both of you can't read, so I'm not going to take a shot at explaining something I never said in the first place.

I agree that Ryan was always arrogant, but just like Pam, he also was pretty quiet.  In the span of that one summer between seasons 3 and 4, they both became incredibly talkative and outgoing.  That's what I think changed the most between those two seasons.  Some of the best moments in seasons 1-3 were when there was little to no dialog, focusing more on the awkward pauses in a conversation.  Starting with season 4, it's like the writers decided there always needs to be some kind of dialog or outrageous sight gag.  Those first three seasons had a lot more laughs with a lot less dialog.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1441 on: October 01, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
Okay, I misread "Jan" as "Jim."  I already made my argument for Ryan.  As for Jan, she is definitely the best example for your completely wrong argument.  However, one might argue that the stage was set for her being a headcase.  Keep in mind, she went through a divorce and was seeing a shrink even when we first met her.  And clearly you wouldn't see "batshit crazy" Jan in the workplace.  We didn't get to see that until she was in a personal relationship with Michael, which makes perfect sense.

You suck at critiquing entertainment.  Stop it.
Hire Jim Essian!

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1442 on: October 01, 2009, 02:09:34 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on October 01, 2009, 01:48:01 PM

Why? Because Jim and Pam got together? Let me guess, you're one of those fans of the British version and loved the first couple seasons because the plot was nearly identical and its just "so pivotal" to the dynamic that Jim and Pam keep up their "will they or won't they" crap? There's a reason The Office has changed so much the last couple years, and that's because it had to. The British version lasted a whopping two seasons. The show actually has to evolve and have character development or else it would get repetitive and boring. I'm sure its pisses you off that the show has gotten out of the nice little corner you'd hemmed it into, but believe it or not the plot had to evolve past fleeting glances between Jim and Pam and Jim putting Dwight's shit in jello. Get over it.

I actually never watched the British version until a couple months ago.  And obviously the Jim and Pam thing had to end.  Keeping that crap going is what ruins most TV shows.  I just think that since that point, the show has gone downhill.  Not because of that relationship, but because the entire tone of the show changed.  I'm all for character development, but I just don't like the way they've developed most of the characters.  Sue me.  I think it's stupid that Michael went from being a little naive and kind of a dick who was bad at his manager job, but still seemed to be a fairly competent guy at times (from what I've seen of the British version, that's pretty similar to Ricky Gervais' character), to a lovable idiot.  I think it's stupid that Ryan, Pam and Jan all changed personalities almost to the point where the only similarities between their characters in seasons 1-3 and season 4 was that they had the same names.

I'm not against the reasoning for why the show changed so much after season 3.  A show has to change to keep from being repetitive.  But I just think they took it in a bad direction.  I apologize that the rest of you think it's still awesome and I do not.  Please, continue with the Weebs-hate.

I sure hope you take a shot at explaining how Jim's personality has changed since the start of the series.  One might suggest that his motivation has changed, since he's actually maturing and thinking about his career, which would be realistic.  But his personality is exactly the same.  You know how I can tell?  Because John Krasinski can play exactly one character, and that character is Jim Halpert.

Incidentally, I don't think Ryan's personality has changed much, either.  He's always been an arrogant party person who thought he was too good for his temp job, and certainly thought he was better than everyone else in the office (most notably Jim, Michael, and Kelly).  Once he got exposed to "the scene," he got out of control.  I think he's been pretty consistent, honestly.

Apparently both of you can't read, so I'm not going to take a shot at explaining something I never said in the first place.

I agree that Ryan was always arrogant, but just like Pam, he also was pretty quiet.  In the span of that one summer between seasons 3 and 4, they both became incredibly talkative and outgoing.  That's what I think changed the most between those two seasons.  Some of the best moments in seasons 1-3 were when there was little to no dialog, focusing more on the awkward pauses in a conversation.  Starting with season 4, it's like the writers decided there always needs to be some kind of dialog or outrageous sight gag.  Those first three seasons had a lot more laughs with a lot less dialog.

How can everybody else in the world think that the show has gotten better, yet you hate it?  
Most people in the real world change over the course of 4 years.  Look at RV.  He used to be a beer bonging, chick drilling, UHaul driving, chadmachine.  Now, he's old and fat and married and domesticated.  Look at yourself.  4 years ago you were a little nerdling playing video games all day with your chums and thinking life couldn't get any better.  Ok, so maybe that's not the best example.  But people change.  They wrote the characters to change b/c they, you know, have a job and shit happens at a job that causes you to change how you behave.
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1443 on: October 01, 2009, 02:20:14 PM »
Quote from: TDubbs on October 01, 2009, 02:09:34 PM

How can everybody else in the world think that the show has gotten better, yet you hate it?  
Most people in the real world change over the course of 4 years.  Look at RV.  He used to be a beer bonging, chick drilling, UHaul driving, chadmachine.  Now, he's old and fat and married and domesticated.  Look at yourself.  4 years ago you were a little nerdling playing video games all day with your chums and thinking life couldn't get any better.  Ok, so maybe that's not the best example.  But people change.  They wrote the characters to change b/c they, you know, have a job and shit happens at a job that causes you to change how you behave.

You're right.  I'm the only person in the world who thinks the show has gotten worse.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1444 on: October 01, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »
Nice going on the QuoteFAIL, Dubbs, you turdblossom.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1445 on: October 01, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »

I already told you I can't bear to see Jim and Pam apart.  It doesn't matter if it's on screen or in your stupid posts. 

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1446 on: October 01, 2009, 09:04:21 PM »
Did you see this crappy episode? They didn't even decide who got the raises!

So fake.

I want my money back.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1447 on: October 02, 2009, 07:44:41 AM »
Quote from: Marjory Keek on October 01, 2009, 09:04:21 PM

So fake.

I want my money back.

I heart this new direction they're going with Jim's career.  He comes across as all serious and confident, but muffs the raise thing and turns into Michael's twin, drinking gin out of a "World's Greatest Boss" mug.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1448 on: October 02, 2009, 08:44:56 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on October 02, 2009, 07:44:41 AM
Quote from: Marjory Keek on October 01, 2009, 09:04:21 PM

So fake.

I want my money back.

I heart this new direction they're going with Jim's career.  He comes across as all serious and confident, but muffs the raise thing and turns into Michael's twin, drinking gin out of a "World's Greatest Boss" mug.

What is this?

Gin.

(sips)

Let's pretend we're not here.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1449 on: October 08, 2009, 08:54:41 PM »
I really like the way that Andy dresses. 

And I also wonder how bad Kevin's shoes smelled. 
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1450 on: October 08, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »
Fuck you, Weebs.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1451 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
I really liked the puking at the beginning.

No.  I REALLY liked the puking.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1452 on: October 08, 2009, 11:40:33 PM »
This show fucking rocks.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1453 on: October 09, 2009, 12:11:45 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on October 08, 2009, 11:40:33 PM
This show fucking rocks.

No, seriously... Fuck you.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1454 on: October 09, 2009, 05:01:19 AM »
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.