News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Office  ( 310,417 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Office
« Reply #1785 on: November 08, 2010, 03:53:51 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 08, 2010, 03:52:15 PM
Quote from: Bort on November 08, 2010, 03:50:51 PM
Quote from: R-V on November 08, 2010, 03:45:43 PM
Just admit it, you're pissed that there's no room on NBC's schedule for Star Trek: Space Court.

Okay, this was the hardest I've laughed all day.

It was the hardest I was all day, as well.

Which is shocking, considering Crabs barely made one post on the page.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1786 on: November 08, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 08, 2010, 03:35:45 PM
I find it interesting that any criticism of the show produces a spirited defense of the show from you.  I'm not trying to start a meme, not even a tiff or a dispute, but pretending that this show is anywhere near it's prime (c. seasons 2 and 3) and deserves the life-support and artificial age-extensions that NBC is sure to provide is just ridiculous.

If you say so.  As far as I can tell, I've commented twice recently about the general idea that TV shows should just go off the air once the quality begins to slip, which apparently translates into mounting "spirited" defenses of the show itself.  My point isn't that I think The Office is still a great show, because it's not.  My point is that if you think a show sucks, you can just stop watching it.  Because then -- for you -- it'll be just like it was canceled!  And then for people who think that each episode is better than the one before it and we're clearly headed for the greatest work of art ever in Season 19 -- like me -- we can keep watching.

As for actually pulling it off the air, it's NBC's highest-rated comedy by a huge margin, so it's not going to happen.

I think this post is more spirited than anything Eli has ever written about The Office.

It was, until he goaded me into writing six whole sentences just now.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1787 on: November 08, 2010, 04:00:07 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 08, 2010, 03:54:00 PM
I think this post is more spirited than anything Eli has ever written about The Office.

There really is altogether too much goading going on in this thread.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1788 on: November 08, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 08, 2010, 03:54:00 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 08, 2010, 03:35:45 PM
I find it interesting that any criticism of the show produces a spirited defense of the show from you.  I'm not trying to start a meme, not even a tiff or a dispute, but pretending that this show is anywhere near it's prime (c. seasons 2 and 3) and deserves the life-support and artificial age-extensions that NBC is sure to provide is just ridiculous.

If you say so.  As far as I can tell, I've commented twice recently about the general idea that TV shows should just go off the air once the quality begins to slip, which apparently translates into mounting "spirited" defenses of the show itself.  My point isn't that I think The Office is still a great show, because it's not.  My point is that if you think a show sucks, you can just stop watching it.  Because then -- for you -- it'll be just like it was canceled!  And then for people who think that each episode is better than the one before it and we're clearly headed for the greatest work of art ever in Season 19 -- like me -- we can keep watching.

As for actually pulling it off the air, it's NBC's highest-rated comedy by a huge margin, so it's not going to happen.

So, general criticism of a show means that I should stop watching it?  Nothing I've said indicates that I don't find the show enjoyable any longer.  On the contrary, I find The Office to be infinitely better than any piece of shit on CBS or ABC.  However, can criticism of a show, leveled appropriately, lead writers, producers, and show-runners into creating a better product?

Or should a program rest on its laurels and accept its popularity without doing anything to create a better product?

I understand that the show is not going to be cancelled.  Indeed, like I stated earlier, NBC is far more likely to do to The Office what they did to ER.  However, the quality of the show itself can still be improved, which demands that its fans be willing to admit the show's glaring deficiencies at times.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1789 on: November 08, 2010, 04:00:44 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 08, 2010, 03:53:51 PM
Just admit it, you're pissed that there's no room on NBC's schedule for Star Trek: Space Court.

It doesn't take me much

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1790 on: November 08, 2010, 04:02:04 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 08, 2010, 04:00:44 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 08, 2010, 03:53:51 PM

It doesn't take me much

Pity.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1791 on: November 08, 2010, 04:03:26 PM »
This thread should have ended 96 pages ago.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1792 on: November 08, 2010, 04:04:18 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 08, 2010, 04:03:26 PM
This thread should have ended 96 pages ago.

If you think it should have ended, stop reading it.

Voila, it's like it was Ratto'd.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1793 on: November 08, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »
This thread is slightly better than the latest episode of The Office.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1794 on: November 08, 2010, 04:06:21 PM »
I don't even watch the Office. I'm just a fan of this thread.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1795 on: November 08, 2010, 04:06:40 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 08, 2010, 04:00:38 PM
However, can criticism of a show, leveled appropriately, lead writers, producers, and show-runners into creating a better product?

You sound like such a LAWYER.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1796 on: November 08, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »

I'm interested so long as Harry Anderson is attached to star.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1797 on: November 08, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »
Quote from: Eli on November 08, 2010, 04:06:40 PM
However, can criticism of a show, leveled appropriately, lead writers, producers, and show-runners into creating a better product?

Can I interest you in some color-coded accordion files?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1798 on: November 08, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »

I thought lawyers were supposed to be wise and worldly. Gil is apparently under the impression that his heartfelt Desipio criticism is going to give Paul Lieberstein just the motivation he needs to return the Office to greatness.

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1799 on: November 08, 2010, 04:13:44 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 08, 2010, 04:10:51 PM

I thought lawyers were supposed to be wise and worldly. Gil is apparently under the impression that his heartfelt Desipio criticism is going to give Paul Lieberstein just the motivation he needs to return the Office to greatness.

Guh.  Fuck it.  This show is awesome and will always be such.