News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 203,120 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #360 on: September 28, 2009, 11:35:36 AM »
I'll admit that I was dead wrong when I bitterly complained that Lovie was wasting a timeout on the challenge of the Forte fumble.

That said, I still can't believe they overturned it.  It may have been the right call but I don't know how the evidence that was provided supported such a notion (conversely, had the call ont he field been down by contact, I also don't know how it could be overturned).  Plus, as his "hope" challenge finally worked to his advantage, this will only embolden Lovie to recklessly challenge future calls where the empircal evidence would indicate you're a hope-chugging moron to do so.  But hey, it worked yesterday, and probably saved their asses, so I'll shut up now.

And Lance Briggs is one bad ass muthafucker.  He was like Ridgemont High's Jefferson out there.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #361 on: September 28, 2009, 01:19:09 PM »
Quote from: MAD on September 28, 2009, 11:35:36 AM
I'll admit that I was dead wrong when I bitterly complained that Lovie was wasting a timeout on the challenge of the Forte fumble.

That said, I still can't believe they overturned it.  It may have been the right call but I don't know how the evidence that was provided supported such a notion (conversely, had the call ont he field been down by contact, I also don't know how it could be overturned).  Plus, as his "hope" challenge finally worked to his advantage, this will only embolden Lovie to recklessly challenge future calls where the empircal evidence would indicate you're a hope-chugging moron to do so.  But hey, it worked yesterday, and probably saved their asses, so I'll shut up now.

I feel like Lovie's got a better challenge philosophy than most.  He's league average success
wise and he seems to understand that the best time to throw the flag is when a challenge
will have the biggest impact.  There's a lot of coaches that throw the flag for a relatively
meaningless 5 yards here and there (and they aren't right that much more often).  Challenge
when you can make the biggest difference and hope the mercurial NFL refs rule your way.
Worst case you burn a timeout after a big negative play and give your team time to refocus
for the next play.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #362 on: September 28, 2009, 01:41:47 PM »
Quote from: Pre on September 28, 2009, 01:19:09 PM

I feel like Lovie's got a better challenge philosophy than most.  He's league average success
wise and he seems to understand that the best time to throw the flag is when a challenge
will have the biggest impact.  There's a lot of coaches that throw the flag for a relatively
meaningless 5 yards here and there (and they aren't right that much more often).  Challenge
when you can make the biggest difference and hope the mercurial NFL refs rule your way.
Worst case you burn a timeout after a big negative play and give your team time to refocus
for the next play.

But this flies in the face of everything that BC, the hoard of meat heads, The Huebiter and every talking neck on the radio has been saying for six years now. Can it be right?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #363 on: September 28, 2009, 02:00:19 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 28, 2009, 01:41:47 PM
Quote from: Pre on September 28, 2009, 01:19:09 PM

for the next play.

But this flies in the face of everything that BC, the hoard of meat heads, The Huebiter and every talking neck on the radio has been saying for six years now. Can it be right?

I'm with Pre, at least on this challenge.

It was worth trading one challenge and the possibility of losing a timeout (the latter, in particular, considering the time left in the half) for a solid shot at 7 points instead of a loss of possession, especially given that the challenge was a fairly close call.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #364 on: September 28, 2009, 02:03:38 PM »
Lovie's doing a good job coaching the D. Marinelli has been good so far. The challenge thing... meh. But Garrett Wolfe? That's my only bitch from yesterday.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #365 on: September 28, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 28, 2009, 02:03:38 PM
Lovie's doing a good job coaching the D. Marinelli has been good so far. The challenge thing... meh. But Garrett Wolfe? That's my only bitch from yesterday.

Honestly, the secondary really doesn't look any better than I feared it would, the linebacker depth has taken a hit, and yet they've only given up 17 ppg. Lovie's doing an outstanding job, and with 6 sacks and the constant pressure the defensive line has applied, I'd have to say Marinelli's been as good as advertised so far. I'd just love this team to get a back up runningback who isn't Garrett Wolfe or Orange Jebus.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #366 on: September 28, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2009, 04:25:31 PM

Honestly, the secondary really doesn't look any better than I feared it would, the linebacker depth has taken a hit, and yet they've only given up 17 ppg. Lovie's doing an outstanding job, and with 6 sacks and the constant pressure the defensive line has applied, I'd have to say Marinelli's been as good as advertised so far. I'd just love this team to get a back up runningback who isn't Garrett Wolfe or Orange Jebus.

Apex is going to feed your blood to #29's dreads.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #367 on: September 28, 2009, 11:37:13 PM »

My big bitch from yesterday comes from the 3rd and inches call on the series prior to the challenge.

Cutler could've easily got a first down w/ a sneak.  That leaves you 1st and 10 from the 13, with a first and goal possibility inside the 3.  Instead, you throw the quick hit to Olsen for the first, but he catches it at the 10 and realistically doesn't get much, if any further.  So, you have the worst possible first and goal ever.  If you gave me two choices: first and 10 from the 11-15, or first and goal from the 8-10, I'd choose the former every time, since the possibility of another first down makes short-to-medium gains on first and second down worth a lot more.

Had things played out as they did--but with the Bears starting 1st and 10 from the 13, Forte wouldn't have needed to make the retarded "hope" stretch play where every defender around the goal line is looking to strip the ball out of a helpless, stretched out RB's hands.  He would've had the first down, could've gone down without risking the ball, and the Bears would've been in much better position.

I'd also be willing to bet that 80%+ of fumbles inside the 2 come from RB's who have momentum stopped, but are trying to stretch to the goal line.  It's just not a good play unless you're 100% going to make it.

But in the original 3rd and inches play, either get your inches, or get past the seven or eight.  Calling a play that gets you between the 8 and 10 is just dumb.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2009, 01:43:06 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on September 28, 2009, 11:37:13 PM

My big bitch from yesterday comes from the 3rd and inches call on the series prior to the challenge.

Cutler could've easily got a first down w/ a sneak.  That leaves you 1st and 10 from the 13, with a first and goal possibility inside the 3.  Instead, you throw the quick hit to Olsen for the first, but he catches it at the 10 and realistically doesn't get much, if any further.  So, you have the worst possible first and goal ever.  If you gave me two choices: first and 10 from the 11-15, or first and goal from the 8-10, I'd choose the former every time, since the possibility of another first down makes short-to-medium gains on first and second down worth a lot more.

Had things played out as they did--but with the Bears starting 1st and 10 from the 13, Forte wouldn't have needed to make the retarded "hope" stretch play where every defender around the goal line is looking to strip the ball out of a helpless, stretched out RB's hands.  He would've had the first down, could've gone down without risking the ball, and the Bears would've been in much better position.

I'd also be willing to bet that 80%+ of fumbles inside the 2 come from RB's who have momentum stopped, but are trying to stretch to the goal line.  It's just not a good play unless you're 100% going to make it.

But in the original 3rd and inches play, either get your inches, or get past the seven or eight.  Calling a play that gets you between the 8 and 10 is just dumb.

Thanks for repeating yourself...

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=6988.msg192607#msg192607

Ready to be told to get fucked again?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #369 on: September 29, 2009, 07:26:52 AM »

Cutler could've easily got a first down w/ a sneak.  That leaves you 1st and 10 from the 13, with a first and goal possibility inside the 3.  Instead, you throw the quick hit to Olsen for the first, but he catches it at the 10 and realistically doesn't get much, if any further.  So, you have the worst possible first and goal ever.  If you gave me two choices: first and 10 from the 11-15, or first and goal from the 8-10, I'd choose the former every time, since the possibility of another first down makes short-to-medium gains on first and second down worth a lot more.

Had things played out as they did--but with the Bears starting 1st and 10 from the 13, Forte wouldn't have needed to make the retarded "hope" stretch play where every defender around the goal line is looking to strip the ball out of a helpless, stretched out RB's hands.  He would've had the first down, could've gone down without risking the ball, and the Bears would've been in much better position.

But in the original 3rd and inches play, either get your inches, or get past the seven or eight.  Calling a play that gets you between the 8 and 10 is just dumb.

Okay...so what you're saying is you'd rather the Bears have 1st and 10 from the 13, because it gives them a chance to get a first down.... if they get 10 yards, but you'd rather they not have a first and goal from the 8, because they then have to get a touchdown by going....8 yards. You are a football sage.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #370 on: September 29, 2009, 07:31:34 AM »

Cutler could've easily got a first down w/ a sneak.  That leaves you 1st and 10 from the 13, with a first and goal possibility inside the 3.  Instead, you throw the quick hit to Olsen for the first, but he catches it at the 10 and realistically doesn't get much, if any further.  So, you have the worst possible first and goal ever.  If you gave me two choices: first and 10 from the 11-15, or first and goal from the 8-10, I'd choose the former every time, since the possibility of another first down makes short-to-medium gains on first and second down worth a lot more.

Had things played out as they did--but with the Bears starting 1st and 10 from the 13, Forte wouldn't have needed to make the retarded "hope" stretch play where every defender around the goal line is looking to strip the ball out of a helpless, stretched out RB's hands.  He would've had the first down, could've gone down without risking the ball, and the Bears would've been in much better position.

I'd also be willing to bet that 80%+ of fumbles inside the 2 come from RB's who have momentum stopped, but are trying to stretch to the goal line.  It's just not a good play unless you're 100% going to make it.

But in the original 3rd and inches play, either get your inches, or get past the seven or eight.  Calling a play that gets you between the 8 and 10 is just dumb.

If that's dumb, then having a strategy where you plan on your offense needing 8 downs to go 13 yards against Seattke is submoronic.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #371 on: September 29, 2009, 07:33:04 AM »

I'm beginning to think that you are an Internet hoax.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #372 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:15 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 29, 2009, 07:26:52 AM

Okay...so what you're saying is you'd rather the Bears have 1st and 10 from the 13, because it gives them a chance to get a first down.... if they get 10 yards, but you'd rather they not have a first and goal from the 8, because they then have to get a touchdown by going....8 yards. You are a football sage.

To be fair, I used to think the same thing...when I was like 13.  I used to get pissed off when someone would get tackled at the 8 or 9.  I would think, "Couldn't they just take the ball a couple of yards further away so they get a 1st and ten?"  So, there you go.  A 13-year old Oleg agrees with you.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #373 on: September 29, 2009, 07:48:25 AM »
I liked the challenge, the timeout there doesn't matter a ton and watching the play live I thought Forte was down... The only negative of that particular challenge is that the Bears would only have had one more challenge if the call were confirmed.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #374 on: September 29, 2009, 07:49:07 AM »

A good offense with a QB the caliber of Cutler shouldn't have to worry about first and goal from the 8 to the extent of what you are describing here.