News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Opening. Day. Female. Odges.  ( 82,052 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Opening. Day. Female. Odges.
« Reply #255 on: April 08, 2009, 01:47:24 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 08, 2009, 01:39:47 PM
Quote from: MAD on April 08, 2009, 01:36:19 PM
Mike Hampton may have had a better run with the 'stros than The Scuffballer and the Freak of Nature.

My first reaction was that you were talking crazy.  Upon further review, I think you're right.

edit: He did walk a lot of hitters, though.  Without looking at it more closely, I would think his defense had bailed him out a lot.  I think I'd put him below Ryan and above Scott.  His K/BB ratios are atrocious, but his one awesome year, '99, his WHIP was still 1.29.  Weird numbers, I'd say.

edit2: Man, it's good to have baseball back!

Compare his walks to Ryan's, who had a shit-ton.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: April 08, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 08, 2009, 01:47:24 PM
Mike Hampton may have had a better run with the 'stros than The Scuffballer and the Freak of Nature.

My first reaction was that you were talking crazy.  Upon further review, I think you're right.

edit: He did walk a lot of hitters, though.  Without looking at it more closely, I would think his defense had bailed him out a lot.  I think I'd put him below Ryan and above Scott.  His K/BB ratios are atrocious, but his one awesome year, '99, his WHIP was still 1.29.  Weird numbers, I'd say.

I guess it's way closer than I thought.  It didn't cross my mind to look up Oswalt's numbers as it didn't even dawn [sic?] on me that he'd even been in the league for eight years.  That's insanity.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: April 08, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 08, 2009, 01:47:24 PM

Ryan made up for it by striking out a shit-ton, too.  Although, I see your point.  The difference isn't as big as I thought.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: April 08, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »

Speaking of weird numbers, Ryan's stats are fascinating.  His line from 1974 is bizarre:

332 IP (holy shit), 202 walks, 367 Ks, 2.89 ERA and 1.27 WHIP.  To walk 5.5 guys per nine innings and have a WHIP under 1.30 is just weird, even with his K rate.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: April 08, 2009, 01:57:36 PM »
Good pitchers are determined by win-loss records dude. Nolan Ryan wasn't that good.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: April 08, 2009, 01:58:46 PM »
Quote from: BH on April 08, 2009, 01:57:36 PM
Good pitchers are determined by win-loss records dude. Nolan Ryan wasn't that good.

Speaking of that, Roy Oswalt is 129-64.  My word.  On the other hand, Peavy's 86-62.  Peavy's the Cy Young pitcher and Roy Oswalt isn't.  (When checking out BR, in the awards column it says "CYA-5" and the like for Oswalt.  Does that mean he was fifth in the running for the award that year?)  If so, he was in the running for that award five out of eight years.  Peavy, once--he won.

The internet is a fascinating place.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 08, 2009, 01:58:46 PM

Speaking of that, Roy Oswalt is 129-64.  My word.  On the other hand, Peavy's 86-62.  Peavy's the Cy Young pitcher and Roy Oswalt isn't.  (When checking out BR, in the awards column it says "CYA-5" and the like for Oswalt.  Does that mean he was fifth in the running for the award that year?)  If so, he was in the running for that award five out of eight years.  Peavy, once--he won.

Yeah, that means he finished 5th.

I despise Oswalt because he's basically what I thought Prior was going to be.
Hire Jim Essian!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: April 08, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »

You're not wrong, but you're using the two worst indicators to make your point.  Looking at their stats, I can't believe they're not comps for each other. 

Gorddarnm, it's good to have baseball back.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: April 08, 2009, 02:16:11 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on April 08, 2009, 02:10:33 PM

You're not wrong, but you're using the two worst indicators to make your point.  Looking at their stats, I can't believe they're not comps for each other. 

I know, but in 8 years to have 129 wins opposed to just 64 losses just raises the ole eyebrow.  I mean, that's something, right?

And, THI.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: April 08, 2009, 02:20:23 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 08, 2009, 02:16:11 PM

I know, but in 8 years to have 129 wins opposed to just 64 losses just raises the ole eyebrow.  I mean, that's something, right?

And, THI.

It may just mean that he's played on some pretty good teams.  Although in his case, he has been pretty fucking good.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: April 08, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on April 08, 2009, 02:16:11 PM

And, THI.

Intrepid Reader: Muskrat

It means something. What that is is hard to define.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: April 08, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

Why is tonight different from all other nights?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: April 08, 2009, 05:48:57 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 08, 2009, 04:30:42 PM

Why is tonight different from all other nights?

On all other nights, I enjoy the Cubs game with a beer, tonight, its with vodka.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: April 08, 2009, 11:00:40 PM »
You may be thankful that twenty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great 2009 Championship Season, you WON'T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, 'Well, your Granddaddy was an Astros fan.'"

No, Sir! You can look him straight in the eye and say, 'Son, your Granddaddy rode with the Great Chicago Cubs and a Son-of-a-Goddamned-Bitch named Dave Patton!'
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: April 08, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on April 08, 2009, 11:00:40 PM
You may be thankful that twenty years from now when you are sitting by the fireplace with your grandson on your knee and he asks you what you did in the great 2009 Championship Season, you WON'T have to cough, shift him to the other knee and say, 'Well, your Granddaddy was an Astros fan.'"

No, Sir! You can look him straight in the eye and say, 'Son, your Granddaddy rode with the Great Chicago Cubs and a Son-of-a-Goddamned-Bitch named Dave Patton!'

As long as he keeps getting ahead, this Patton fella might be on to something.

Also, we're a mere few games away from a serious Milton Bradley spit-swappin' shirtless-huggin' splooge-A-roonie. No hits yet but four walks already. I smell some serious ball pounding coming up.