News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Pollyellon banned me  ( 371,053 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Pollyellon banned me
« Reply #1545 on: June 02, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 02, 2011, 08:30:19 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 01, 2011, 11:00:34 PM
Today, after 308 words and a player by player comparison of the 1976 team to this team (seriously), Al asks:

"What more can I really say?"

615 words is the answer.

Since we all know everything Al spews out is going to be tripe, why waste the time in going to read it?

I didn't read the whole thing.  I was curious to see if he'd thrown in the towel after the homestand. Seems like he did. Then I saw the ubiquitous "What else can I say?" and threw the rest into Word and pulled up the stats.  Every time he says, "What else can I say?" he seems to have a lot to say.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1546 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:59 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 02, 2011, 09:02:17 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 02, 2011, 08:30:19 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 01, 2011, 11:00:34 PM
Today, after 308 words and a player by player comparison of the 1976 team to this team (seriously), Al asks:

"What more can I really say?"

615 words is the answer.

Since we all know everything Al spews out is going to be tripe, why waste the time in going to read it?

I didn't read the whole thing.  I was curious to see if he'd thrown in the towel after the homestand. Seems like he did. Then I saw the ubiquitous "What else can I say?" and threw the rest into Word and pulled up the stats.  Every time he says, "What else can I say?" he seems to have a lot to say.

I get it, you found someone wronger than Internet Chuck.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1547 on: June 06, 2011, 10:37:37 AM »
Bumped for Yellon's newest underling:

http://chicago.sbnation.com/authors/andy-dolan
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1548 on: June 06, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1550 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:48 AM »
Al no longer edits SB Nation and the new guy, Michael David Smith of ProFootballTalk fame asked if I wanted to throw a few columns their way.

The best is that when Al and I are the two most recent guys to write about the Cubs, our pictures will go right next to each other.  

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1551 on: June 06, 2011, 01:11:58 PM »

Damn, I'm going to miss Alvin's insightful Blackhawks write-ups.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1552 on: June 06, 2011, 01:33:01 PM »
Must say that is one slick sportcoat Andy.  But where's the tie and straw boater?
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1553 on: June 06, 2011, 01:49:52 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on June 06, 2011, 01:33:01 PM
Must say that is one slick sportcoat Andy.  But where's the tie and straw boater?

The same sport coat he wore to Tonkfest.

Did he stop at Glamour Shots on his way to Galway Bay?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1554 on: June 06, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
He wore that sportscoat at his Bar Mitzvah and it still fits.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1555 on: June 23, 2011, 05:08:51 PM »
Today, Pollyellon provided this nugget in a blog entry about managers who resigned "shockingly". 

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/6/23/2240084/jim-riggleman-resigns-washington-nationals-news-five-shocking-managerial-resignations

"June 1991, Don Zimmer, Chicago Cubs: Zimmer's Cubs were struggling, two years past the time when he led them to the NL East title. In a move presaging Riggleman's, Zimmer demanded to know his contract status from GM Jim Frey -- one of Zim's predecessors as Cubs' manager. Frey, who was out of his element in the front office, dithered, and so Zimmer resigned with the team record 18-19. Though he coached for several teams for years after that, he never managed again. His replacement, Jim Essian, finished the 1991 season -- and also never managed in the majors again. Slogan: "The Cubs managing job: get it, and it'll be your last."

Now 20 years has a way of deteriorating brain cells.  But does anyone here recall Zimmer going away as part of a  "shocking resignation"?  And wasn't it in May of 1991, and not June?

Am I drunk here?  Or is Al just being Al?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1556 on: June 23, 2011, 05:13:36 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on June 23, 2011, 05:08:51 PM
Today, Pollyellon provided this nugget in a blog entry about managers who resigned "shockingly". 

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/6/23/2240084/jim-riggleman-resigns-washington-nationals-news-five-shocking-managerial-resignations

"June 1991, Don Zimmer, Chicago Cubs: Zimmer's Cubs were struggling, two years past the time when he led them to the NL East title. In a move presaging Riggleman's, Zimmer demanded to know his contract status from GM Jim Frey -- one of Zim's predecessors as Cubs' manager. Frey, who was out of his element in the front office, dithered, and so Zimmer resigned with the team record 18-19. Though he coached for several teams for years after that, he never managed again. His replacement, Jim Essian, finished the 1991 season -- and also never managed in the majors again. Slogan: "The Cubs managing job: get it, and it'll be your last."

Now 20 years has a way of deteriorating brain cells.  But does anyone here recall Zimmer going away as part of a  "shocking resignation"?  And wasn't it in May of 1991, and not June?

May 22, 1991

Where is Andy Bagnatto?

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1557 on: June 23, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
Well, I also found this link and copied it onto the comment under his article.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/2010/7/22/1581952/who-should-replace-lou-piniella-as

I feel some type of ban coming my direction.  Damn me and my facts.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1558 on: June 23, 2011, 05:17:21 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 23, 2011, 05:13:36 PM

May 22, 1991

Where is Andy Bagnatto?

As I recall it he was fired.  And that's what the LA Times says too.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-19/sports/sp-602_1_cubs-essian
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1559 on: June 23, 2011, 06:09:03 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on June 23, 2011, 05:17:21 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 23, 2011, 05:13:36 PM

Now 20 years has a way of deteriorating brain cells.  But does anyone here recall Zimmer going away as part of a  "shocking resignation"?  And wasn't it in May of 1991, and not June?

Am I drunk here?  Or is Al just being Al?

May 22, 1991

Where is Andy Bagnatto?

As I recall it he was fired.  And that's what the LA Times says too.

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-10-19/sports/sp-602_1_cubs-essian

Not only that, but Zimmer's issue was not with Jim Frey, who not only hired Zimmer but was a boyhood friend of his from Cincinnati-- but, rather, Don Grenesko aka "The Crane Kenney of his Day" who was the "suit" half of the General Mangement team (Frey being the "baseball" half).  I may have thought that Eric Dickerson had been traded for Jim Everett but believe me when I state that I can recall with absolute clarity that Zimmer ripped Grenesko--who was the one who effectively tossed Zimmer out on his metal-plated head-- on his way out the door.

After it was clear the the Free Agent signings of Dave Smith and Danny Jackson had gone *BLAMMO*, Jim Frey was nothing more than a lame duck by late May.

Holy shit Al's turning senile.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs