News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 58,142 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread
« Reply #255 on: November 03, 2011, 02:54:48 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on November 03, 2011, 02:38:11 PM
Quote from: Bort on November 03, 2011, 01:51:58 PM
Quote from: Slaky on November 03, 2011, 01:42:48 PM
Mackanin and Mike Maddux are the first confirmed interviews. Cubs look like they're moving quickly. Anyone else excited about the possibility of Mike Maddux?

I don't *hate* the possibility of Mike Maddux. Which is about as close as I can get to excited, I think.

I'm fully prepared for my reaction to the managerial hire to be, "Okay, I don't really know anything about this guy, but let's assume Theo and Hoyer know what they're doing."

You don't know who mike maddux is?

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread
« Reply #256 on: November 03, 2011, 03:10:24 PM »
Quote from: BH on November 03, 2011, 02:54:48 PM
Mackanin and Mike Maddux are the first confirmed interviews. Cubs look like they're moving quickly. Anyone else excited about the possibility of Mike Maddux?

I don't *hate* the possibility of Mike Maddux. Which is about as close as I can get to excited, I think.

I'm fully prepared for my reaction to the managerial hire to be, "Okay, I don't really know anything about this guy, but let's assume Theo and Hoyer know what they're doing."

You don't know who mike maddux is?

rotoworld told BH that mike maddux is probably the brother of greg maddux or john maddon.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: November 03, 2011, 04:17:26 PM »

I'm gonna wait to hear Billy Corgan's take before I make up my mind.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: November 03, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »
I think I'd rather have Maddux as pitching coach. But I'm in the "I guess Theo & Hoyer know what they're doing" camp.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: November 03, 2011, 07:42:13 PM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 03, 2011, 06:16:10 PM
I think I'd rather have Maddux as pitching coach. But I'm in the "I guess Theo & Hoyer know what they're doing" camp.

I am in the "What the hell difference will it make?  These are the Cubs." camp.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: November 03, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 03, 2011, 07:42:13 PM

The Hendry Era really did a number on you, huh?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: November 03, 2011, 09:36:00 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 03, 2011, 09:27:00 PM

The Hendry P.K. Wrigley Era really did a number on you, huh?

More probable.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: November 03, 2011, 10:42:39 PM »
Quote from: Bort on November 03, 2011, 09:36:00 PM

More probable.
When Charlie Grimm was the manager he also served as the third base coach.  He invented a lot of gag signals for the batter.  My favorite was when he flapped his arms like a giant bird and hopped back and forth in the third  base box.  That was the only time I went to baseball games to watch the manager manage.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: November 03, 2011, 10:44:58 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 03, 2011, 10:42:39 PM

More probable.
When Charlie Grimm was the manager he also served as the third base coach.  He invented a lot of gag signals for the batter.  My favorite was when he flapped his arms like a giant bird and hopped back and forth in the third  base box.  That was the only time I went to baseball games to watch the manager manage.

JOLLY CHOLLY!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2011, 04:59:48 AM »
Quote from: CT III on November 03, 2011, 10:44:58 PM
Quote from: CBStew on November 03, 2011, 10:42:39 PM

More probable.

JOLLY CHOLLY!

Did he play his banjo at all while coaching 3rd?  That would have been fun.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2013, 12:48:16 AM »
Ken Rosenthal wrote a column in which he reminded Joe Girardi that he is, in fact, Joe Girardi at least eight times.

Anyway, Rosenthal speculates whether the Cubs might eject DALES WAME with one year left if Girardi hits the open market.

Can't say it's impossible; it's certainly more likely than Robinson Cano (FYC).  Or maybe they right the Sandberg wrong.  Or they let Dale chew his way through another season and get arrested after he strangles Starlin Castro to death at shortstop next August.  All plausible outcomes (except Sandberg, give it up buddy).

Is Dale managing the club next year?  Not that it matters who steers this shitty ship until the farm kids are ready.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »
Next year, Baez and Bryant will both show up at some point. If Ephoystink doesn't have confidence in him as a guy who can being those guys along, it has to be addressed. If there's a manager they love that becomes available, that's another thing. But he gave them the record they expected. He won't get fired for that.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2013, 11:18:46 PM »
DATS WHEN SANTBERT COMES BACK MY FRENT!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: September 16, 2013, 12:55:28 AM »
Quote from: Fork on September 15, 2013, 10:27:32 PM
Next year, Baez and Bryant will both show up at some point. If Ephoystink doesn't have confidence in him as a guy who can being those guys along, it has to be addressed. If there's a manager they love that becomes available, that's another thing. But he gave them the record they expected. He won't get fired for that.

Do you think he's at all responsible for the backward steps taken by Castro, Rizzo, and FIREBARN this year?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: September 16, 2013, 10:04:28 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 16, 2013, 12:55:28 AM
Quote from: Fork on September 15, 2013, 10:27:32 PM

Do you think he's at all responsible for the backward steps taken by Castro, Rizzo, and FIREBARN this year?

The organization is trying to break down & rebuild Castro and Rizzo, getting them better at working pitch counts. Hopefully these are still works in progress and they haven't screwed them up. As for Geyser, I think his forward step last year was a fluke. I was hoping they were going to sell high on him.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16