News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 58,231 )

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2013, 10:23:39 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 16, 2013, 05:50:04 PM
So I don't know why his 2013 numbers alone are suddenly the WAR yardstick when you're the one saying that your ample data and research suggests that he's a 100 ERA+ guy going forward.
One year?

Must be that New Trier Math program.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread
« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 16, 2013, 10:23:39 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 16, 2013, 05:50:04 PM
So I don't know why his 2013 numbers alone are suddenly the WAR yardstick when you're the one saying that your ample data and research suggests that he's a 100 ERA+ guy going forward.
One year?

You tell me...

Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 16, 2013, 04:33:18 PM
And he's not a 2WAR guy this year. He's 0.6 (per BBR), down from 1.8 in 2012.

What's your point here, Chuck?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: September 17, 2013, 07:24:14 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 16, 2013, 06:04:20 PM
So, are we saying the Samardzija should not be the next manager?

Because I support that.

Charlie Weis, then?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: September 17, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »
Back to the original point of Sveum being the manager in 2014 and possibly beyond that, how can his managing be quantified? Would a reincarnation of Rube Foster or John McGraw have gotten any more out of this team? Probably not. Sveum got 2 untouchables and saw his roster get gutted at the deadline again.

Next season the Cubs will see Baez show up once the Cubs can get another year of arbitration out of him. Bryant will show up as well. Hendricks could make the team in the spring, and Iowa will have some decent young arms that could get called up at varying times. I'd say if the Cubs are still stuck in 90-loss territory next season for any reason other than a rash of injuries, Sveum is doing all he or any other manager can.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: September 17, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 17, 2013, 01:24:06 PM
Back to the original point of Sveum being the manager in 2014 and possibly beyond that, how can his managing be quantified? Would a reincarnation of Rube Foster or John McGraw have gotten any more out of this team? Probably not. Sveum got 2 untouchables and saw his roster get gutted at the deadline again.

Who have been pretty disappointing, which hasn't helped.

To your original point, I don't even really think about Sveum as the manager because I view him as entirely inconsequential. As long as he's not harming players (though maybe he's played some role in Castro's problems?), I don't see any harm in letting him stick around until the team is good again in 2-10 years.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: September 17, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »

Next season the Cubs will see Baez show up once the Cubs can get another year of arbitration out of him. Bryant will show up as well. Hendricks could make the team in the spring, and Iowa will have some decent young arms that could get called up at varying times. I'd say if the Cubs are still stuck in 90-loss territory next season for any reason other than a rash of injuries, Sveum is doing all he or any other manager can.

The last thing the Cubs need to add to the roster is fat chicks.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: September 17, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 17, 2013, 01:43:59 PM

I wouldn't say it's the last thing.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: September 17, 2013, 03:11:25 PM »

Rick Reuschel was pretty good.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 17, 2013, 03:11:25 PM

Noach Uck.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: September 17, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »

So, not Charlie Weis then?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: September 17, 2013, 05:27:52 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 17, 2013, 03:20:17 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 17, 2013, 03:11:25 PM

Noach Uck.

I read this three times, slower each time, until I realized the joke.

And I still laughed.  Well played.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2013, 11:33:50 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 15, 2013, 12:48:16 AM
Ken Rosenthal wrote a column in which he reminded Joe Girardi that he is, in fact, Joe Girardi at least eight times.

Anyway, Rosenthal speculates whether the Cubs might eject DALES WAME with one year left if Girardi hits the open market.

Can't say it's impossible; it's certainly more likely than Robinson Cano (FYC).  Or maybe they right the Sandberg wrong.  Or they let Dale chew his way through another season and get arrested after he strangles Starlin Castro to death at shortstop next August.  All plausible outcomes (except Sandberg, give it up buddy).

Is Dale managing the club next year?  Not that it matters who steers this shitty ship until the farm kids are ready.

Is Dale managing the club next year? NOPE. So it's Girardi or a Joe Maddon or someone at that same level. Otherwise why eat the rest of Dale's deal.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 30, 2013, 11:33:50 AM
Ken Rosenthal wrote a column in which he reminded Joe Girardi that he is, in fact, Joe Girardi at least eight times.

Anyway, Rosenthal speculates whether the Cubs might eject DALES WAME with one year left if Girardi hits the open market.

Can't say it's impossible; it's certainly more likely than Robinson Cano (FYC).  Or maybe they right the Sandberg wrong.  Or they let Dale chew his way through another season and get arrested after he strangles Starlin Castro to death at shortstop next August.  All plausible outcomes (except Sandberg, give it up buddy).

Is Dale managing the club next year?  Not that it matters who steers this shitty ship until the farm kids are ready.

Is Dale managing the club next year? NOPE. So it's Girardi or a Joe Maddon or someone at that same level. Otherwise why eat the rest of Dale's deal.

Mike Scioscia.  He was rumored to be off to Chavez Ravine, then to Philly, but the Dodgers and Ryno scuttled those dreams. Scioscia should be able to get 3 years out of the Cubs in time for them to axe him and BRING IN DAT RYNE SANDBURG GUY! By then, I expect Bob Melvin to be generally managing the Cubs with Al Yellon as social media consultant.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2013, 11:49:19 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 30, 2013, 11:38:17 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 30, 2013, 11:33:50 AM

Mike Scioscia.  He was rumored to be off to Chavez Ravine, then to Philly, but the Dodgers and Ryno scuttled those dreams. Scioscia should be able to get 3 years out of the Cubs in time for them to axe him and BRING IN DAT RYNE SANDBURG GUY! By then, I expect Bob Melvin to be generally managing the Cubs with Al Yellon as social media consultant.

Todd as part owner, Jepstink in the front office, and the king of small ball behind the wheel. That sitcom's got WGN syndication written all over it.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2013, 02:08:26 PM »
If the front office wants us to accept the fact that entire seasons can be thrown away for the sake of the "future", then why does it matter who the manager is?  Sveum's firing is an irrational act.  Totally out of character for Epstein/Hoyer.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)