News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The All-Purpose No Bullshit Tolerating Who Should Be the Next Manager Thread  ( 58,105 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on October 01, 2013, 08:44:26 AM
Quote from: Bort on October 01, 2013, 07:51:41 AM
Quote from: Fork on September 30, 2013, 11:44:53 PM
"Take this job and shove it"
                -Johnny Paycheck David Allan Coe

Songwriter'd.

Who also loves robbing banks.

Eazy loved it more.

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
In case anyone was wondering, Gordo still sucks.

Maybe a homecoming by Joe Girardi is exactly what the Cubs need two years into this 197-loss rebuilding process. Maybe he'll be the right manager at the right time to lay the groundwork for a farm load of young players to succeed and win in the next few years.

Or at least buy an attendance-hemorrhaging franchise a couple of more years of cover with the paying public, the way the hiring of team president Theo Epstein did two years ago.

Either way, they'd better get their man. They'd better get Girardi.
Failing to land the top free-agent manager available, who fits every criterion laid out by Epstein during a news conference Monday: That would be Strike 2.

THERE ISN'T EVEN A PLAN AT ALL, IS THERE THEO??
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on October 01, 2013, 12:18:51 PM

Maybe a homecoming by Joe Girardi is exactly what the Cubs need two years into this 197-loss rebuilding process. Maybe he'll be the right manager at the right time to lay the groundwork for a farm load of young players to succeed and win in the next few years.

Or at least buy an attendance-hemorrhaging franchise a couple of more years of cover with the paying public, the way the hiring of team president Theo Epstein did two years ago.

Failing to land the top free-agent manager available, who fits every criterion laid out by Epstein during a news conference Monday: That would be Strike 2.

How about Casey Stengel?  Sure, he is dead.  But nobody is perfect.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I wish to Christ Gordo felt the same way about dinner as he did about the Cubs, since by now he'd be dead from trichinosis after eating raw pork chops.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on October 01, 2013, 12:29:33 PM

I wish to Christ Gordo felt the same way about dinner as he did about the Cubs, since by now he'd be dead from trichinosis after eating raw pork chops.

That seems both random and oddly specific.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

1. How many strikes does Gordon get?
2. He really needs to bolster his clip portfolio.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2013, 12:34:21 PM
Quote from: Fork on October 01, 2013, 12:29:33 PM

That seems both random and oddly specific.

I have an accordion binder filled with Gordo death scenarios.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

I don't really read the Sun-Times or Tribune proactively anymore - is Gordo a columnist now? I thought he was the beat writer in which case it'd be strange that he's editorializing so blatantly on the subject.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Gilgamesh on September 30, 2013, 06:12:43 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 30, 2013, 04:44:14 PM
Quote from: CBStew on September 30, 2013, 04:03:23 PM
In all due respect, Shakespeare said it pretty well:

"It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing." — Macbeth (Act 5, Scene 5, lines 17-28)

Sveum is dead now?

QuoteUp in horsey heaven, here's the thing
You trade your legs for angels wings
And once we’ve all said good-bye
You take a running leap and you learn to fly

Out, out, brief candle!

"Things without all remedy Should be without regard: what's done, is done."

Macbeth, Act 3, scene 2.

"I give up.  Now I realize fully what Mark Twain meant when he said, 'The more you explain it, the more I don't understand it.'"

Securities & Exchange Commission v. Chenery Corp., 332 U.S. 194 (1947) (JACKSON, J., dissenting)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 01, 2013, 02:20:16 PM
A.J. Hinch!

So...I never followed the D-Backs THAT closely when I lived in Arizona (did you guys know I lived there?) but I remember mostly unmitigated disaster.  It was due largely in part to him having no experience and being perceived as the forced-upon hire by the nerds running the show (sound familiar?)  and there was much rejoicing when Kirk Gibson was hired.  The subsequent winning was also further evidence for the meatballs that nerds are bad managers, even if those guys used to play. 

Really, I don't have much to add. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PenFoe on October 01, 2013, 03:32:35 PM
A.J. Hinch!

So...I never followed the D-Backs THAT closely when I lived in Arizona (did you guys know I lived there?) but I remember mostly unmitigated disaster.  It was due largely in part to him having no experience and being perceived as the forced-upon hire by the nerds running the show (sound familiar?)  and there was much rejoicing when Kirk Gibson was hired.  The subsequent winning was also further evidence for the meatballs that nerds are bad managers, even if those guys used to play. 

I don't know anything about his managing style but I always felt like he was basically used as a scapegoat in Arizona. I've heard from a few fans who thought he was fairly smart and got a raw deal.

It's weird to feel so uninterested in a managerial search. None of it matters until they want to put a competitive team on the field, so I can't bring myself to get too fired up either way.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on October 02, 2013, 08:46:16 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 01, 2013, 03:32:35 PM
A.J. Hinch!

I don't know anything about his managing style but I always felt like he was basically used as a scapegoat in Arizona. I've heard from a few fans who thought he was fairly smart and got a raw deal.

It's weird to feel so uninterested in a managerial search. None of it matters until they want to put a competitive team on the field, so I can't bring myself to get too fired up either way.

Arizona's young players did well under Hinch. And he made no huge managing mistakes. Yay?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Hire Buck Schowalter, since whoever comes in after he gets fired wins the World Series.
TIME TO POST!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on October 02, 2013, 09:39:46 AM
Hire Buck Schowalter, since whoever comes in after he gets fired wins the World Series.

gorshyjeewiz we shoulda just hired him two dave swaims ago