News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: MLB 2K9  ( 110,118 )

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: MLB 2K9
« Reply #375 on: March 06, 2009, 10:35:03 AM »
I finally won a franchise game last night.  Harden beat the Rockies.  I pulled out all the stops.  I used the right stick to throw, shook off the catcher a few times early and had my most satisfying game to date.  What's frustrating about this game is that they got so much right, so you cruise along for a while saying, "Hey, this is good," and then something you can't believe they fucked up jumps up. 

Oh, and to answer Kerm's question (he asked it really) I didn't hear "Go Cubs Go" after the game, though the crowd noise behind the needless Jeanne Zelasko/Steve Physioc wrap up does sound like they're chanting something, but it's the same after every game in every stadium.

A couple more wins, and it'll be time to restart the franchise at the next difficulty level, grab a team I don't necessarily like and start wheelin' and dealin'. 

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #376 on: March 06, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 06, 2009, 09:55:28 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 06, 2009, 09:30:56 AM
I still haven't won a game yet.  Except the one against Dolan.  Another game and a half played, though, and I didn't see the first baseman glitch once.

How do you "shake the catcher off" when he calls for a pitch?  I usually just press A to reset him, but he calls another pitch.  I guess that's the answer to my question.

I haven't had all that much time with the game, but I haven't enjoyed the little time with it I've had.  I envy you, Yeti.

If you're not liking it yet, you're probably not going to start liking it.  You're doing it right.  You hit the A button.  But you can also position the pitching cursor in the location where you want him to call the next pitch, and he'll set up there.
Hire Jim Essian!

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #377 on: March 06, 2009, 04:49:37 PM »
Quote from: Andy on March 06, 2009, 10:35:03 AM
A couple more wins, and it'll be time to restart the franchise at the next difficulty level, grab a team I don't necessarily like and start wheelin' and dealin'. 

I was reading one of the devs say that some of the franchise bugs they were fixing would require a restart, so might be early to start a "serious" franchise.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #378 on: March 06, 2009, 05:04:09 PM »
Quote from: Pre on March 06, 2009, 04:49:37 PM
Quote from: Andy on March 06, 2009, 10:35:03 AM

I was reading one of the devs say that some of the franchise bugs they were fixing would require a restart, so might be early to start a "serious" franchise.

I heard the same thing.  I think I'm going to wait until Opening Day for the "serious" franchise.  Plus, the rosters will be nice and current at that point.
Hire Jim Essian!

Timmy B

• Hank White Fan Club
    • moviemantim@hotmail.com
« Reply #379 on: March 06, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »
Turns out the glitch regarding the CPU's "swing at anything" approach is ... in-game, ALL players have a walk rating of D. That needs to get fixed. Jesus.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #380 on: March 06, 2009, 06:37:32 PM »
Quote from: Timmy B on March 06, 2009, 06:34:23 PM
Turns out the glitch regarding the CPU's "swing at anything" approach is ... in-game, ALL players have a walk rating of D. That needs to get fixed. Jesus.

Someone should probably get fired for that.

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #381 on: March 08, 2009, 04:38:33 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 06, 2009, 10:39:40 AM
Quote from: *In a Nutsack on March 06, 2009, 09:55:28 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 06, 2009, 09:30:56 AM
I still haven't won a game yet.  Except the one against Dolan.  Another game and a half played, though, and I didn't see the first baseman glitch once.

How do you "shake the catcher off" when he calls for a pitch?  I usually just press A to reset him, but he calls another pitch.  I guess that's the answer to my question.

I haven't had all that much time with the game, but I haven't enjoyed the little time with it I've had.  I envy you, Yeti.

If you're not liking it yet, you're probably not going to start liking it.  You're doing it right.  You hit the A button.  But you can also position the pitching cursor in the location where you want him to call the next pitch, and he'll set up there.

I played a game yesterday in which I didn't completely hate the experience.  I don't understand why I can't those horrible generic batting stances they apply to players like Theriot and other veterans.  I could do that last year--why not this year?

One more thing...I started a fantasy franchise with teh Royals (mainly because I wanted to play with those George Brett powder blue unis) and I'm confused as all get out when it comes to signing free agents.  I wanted to sign Justin Germano and Jose Ascanio for depth in my AAA rotation, but after their "contract negotiations," they disappear from the free agents list and don't appear on any of my four rosters (A, AA, AAA, and MLB).  Cripes, this is ridiculous.
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #382 on: March 09, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »
Quote from: Slakee on March 06, 2009, 06:37:32 PM
Quote from: Timmy B on March 06, 2009, 06:34:23 PM

Someone should probably get fired for that.

Even though I'm enjoying the game, I'm really glad it's getting absolutely torched in the reviews.  Maybe heads will roll.  Take away the goddamn exclusive license, Bud.  That said, any site rating this game lower than 2K8 isn't playing it correctly.  I saw a review where the guy bitched about hitting too many home runs.  Turn up the difficulty, retard.
Hire Jim Essian!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #383 on: March 09, 2009, 10:31:38 AM »
I started my Nats dynasty over the weekend and promptly set out to trade almost every Jim Bowden acquisition (save for Zimmerman and Lannan) and even with force trades off I managed to put together a fairly decent squad for year one.  Even if I did "cheat" and sign Ben Sheets--he's healthy in the game.  Fucking Pudge Rodriguez would not sign with us no matter the offer.  So I said fuck him and traded for a catcher.  The bobbleheaded fuck.

Best moment of the season so far, opening day in Washington, Brad Lidge comes in to hold a two run lead for the Phillies, gives up two singles and then a three run bomb to Zimmerman.  Nice shot of the team jumping out of the dugout and surrounding home plate, even if the Phillies did refuse to leave the field and Adam Dunn was still taking his cuts in the on-deck circle.

Thorne went appropriately nutty with the call and the crowd went nuts.  It was pretty, pretty good.

We went into CitiField and were getting absolutely ass-fucked by Johan until Ghandi took him out after SIX.  Their four run lead was gone before K-Rod could even warm up in the bullpen.  After 41 games, the spunky Nats are 24-17 and tied with the Mets and a game up on the Phillies. 

Two bits of dynasty advice.  The Giants will trade Matt Cain for any bat rated even with him (or at least it seems like it), and if you need a catcher go get Taylor Teagarden from Texas.  He's hitting .320 for me and throwing out everybody in sight.  It has to be the fact that his mentor arrived in a trade from San Diego just days before the season started.  Viva Hank!

Oh, one more.  I traded for Mark Teahen and I use him like a team should use DeRosa.  He can play first, second, third, left and right.  Plus he's a lefty with decent power.  I forget who I traded to get him.  Somebody shitty, like Elijah Dukes or Austin kEARnS.  I don't remember now.  I made nine trades before the season started.  The fucking Nats were all outfielders.

I can strike out more guys with Lannan (his lefty junkballedness went the route in a 4-1 win over the Dodgers) than with Cain or Sheets.  He's actually fun to pitch with.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #384 on: March 09, 2009, 10:50:39 AM »
I still hadn't won a game on All-Star difficulty, so I cheated and moved down one level to Pro.  I think I'm going to have to move back up.  Pro is sort of a hit parade, although the amount of scoring isn't too bad.  I'll probably move back up to All-Star and just continue losing games 5-3, 3-2, 6-0, etc.

Has anyone tried the Home Run Derby?  It's silly, but I thought it was sort of cool that they added energy (I assume it's energy, since the instruction book doesn't say shit).  When you're going through a round, your guy tires, making it damn near impossible to get any power at the end of the round.  You get a slight energy boost for hitting HRs, but you also lose energy with each swing.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #385 on: March 09, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 09, 2009, 10:50:39 AM
I still hadn't won a game on All-Star difficulty, so I cheated and moved down one level to Pro.  I think I'm going to have to move back up.  Pro is sort of a hit parade, although the amount of scoring isn't too bad.  I'll probably move back up to All-Star and just continue losing games 5-3, 3-2, 6-0, etc.

Has anyone tried the Home Run Derby?  It's silly, but I thought it was sort of cool that they added energy (I assume it's energy, since the instruction book doesn't say shit).  When you're going through a round, your guy tires, making it damn near impossible to get any power at the end of the round.  You get a slight energy boost for hitting HRs, but you also lose energy with each swing.

They had that same thing last year (or maybe in 2k7) where the hitter tires.  If you take pitches, his energy comes back.  It's fun, but only if you're playing against someone else.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #386 on: March 09, 2009, 12:37:20 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on March 09, 2009, 12:17:53 PM

They had that same thing last year (or maybe in 2k7) where the hitter tires.  If you take pitches, his energy comes back.  It's fun, but only if you're playing against someone else.

I don't think you can take pitches this year.  Or maybe you can.  I don't know.  I'll try.
Hire Jim Essian!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #387 on: March 09, 2009, 12:40:25 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 09, 2009, 12:37:20 PM

I don't think you can take pitches this year.  Or maybe you can.  I don't know.  I'll try.

So it swings for you? Shit, that'd be awesome if it did that in the games for me.

Kermit, B.

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #388 on: March 09, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 09, 2009, 12:40:25 PM

So it swings for you? Shit, that'd be awesome if it did that in the games for me.

I should clarify.  No swing = out.  The CPU took a pitch, and I think it registered as an out.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #389 on: March 09, 2009, 01:44:13 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 09, 2009, 12:43:32 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on March 09, 2009, 12:40:25 PM

I should clarify.  No swing = out.  The CPU took a pitch, and I think it registered as an out.

That doesn't seem right.  I know the last time I played it I was able to take as many pitches as I wanted.  Only swings count as outs.