News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.  ( 104,575 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.
« Reply #510 on: October 05, 2009, 12:02:22 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 05, 2009, 12:00:31 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 11:57:39 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2009, 11:52:44 AM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 11:44:02 AM
I understand the criticism of his somewhat odd personality...and why that would concern people to some degree.  On the other hand, I don't get the impression that he's the type of guy whose going to put up with a bunch of shit (see Crazy Milton, Zambrano).  I also have no reason to believe he doesn't understand the fundamentals of baseball, or that he'd tolerate the game not being played correctly.

Depends on what you mean by "fundamentals of baseball."  If you like lots of sacrifice bunts, hit and runs and other out-making strategies, Sandberg might be your guy.

I do agree with the "game being played correctly" thing, as Ryno would never tolerate someone trying to hit a baseball with a hockey stick.

Is there data from his minor league work that indicates that he has a penchant for doing more of that than any other manager?  Or is this just a guess on your part because he exudes more GRIT than your average former HR Derby Champion?

That's what I'm curious about (not that I'm doubting you, Eli).  I don't know a thing about his managerial style other than that he likes to get thrown out of games, and that he's never, you know, managed at the MLB level.

Can the Cubs still get Joe Girardi?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #511 on: October 05, 2009, 12:06:22 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on October 05, 2009, 11:59:46 AM
I understand the criticism of his somewhat odd personality...and why that would concern people to some degree.  On the other hand, I don't get the impression that he's the type of guy whose going to put up with a bunch of shit (see Crazy Milton, Zambrano).  I also have no reason to believe he doesn't understand the fundamentals of baseball, or that he'd tolerate the game not being played correctly.

Depends on what you mean by "fundamentals of baseball."  If you like lots of sacrifice bunts, hit and runs and other out-making strategies, Sandberg might be your guy.

I do agree with the "game being played correctly" thing, as Ryno would never tolerate someone trying to hit a baseball with a hockey stick.

Eli is right. The whole notion of "the game being played correctly" is wrong as people have been playing the game wrong for about 100+ years
I just read Moneyball and I'm going to just spew out what I read there.

SABR Yeti'd
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #512 on: October 05, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 05, 2009, 12:02:22 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 11:57:39 AM

Is there data from his minor league work that indicates that he has a penchant for doing more of that than any other manager?  Or is this just a guess on your part because he exudes more GRIT than your average former HR Derby Champion?

That's what I'm curious about (not that I'm doubting you, Eli).  I don't know a thing about his managerial style other than that he likes to get thrown out of games, and that he's never, you know, managed at the MLB level.

Can the Cubs still get Joe Girardi?

Piniella and Theriot to the Yankees for Girardi and Jeter.
Hire Jim Essian!

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #513 on: October 05, 2009, 12:10:11 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 05, 2009, 12:06:58 PM
Piniella and Theriot to the Yankees for Girardi and Jeter.

I wonder if Hendry would be willing to throw Bradley in as well.  You know, to put the deal over the top.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #514 on: October 05, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »

I suppose my evidence is more anecdotal (the horrors, I know).  A friend of mine saw quite a few Tennessee games this year and always complained about Sandberg sacrifice bunting in the early innings or putting on hit-and-runs all the time.  I've heard that quite a bit about him, so I've decided to adopt it as truth because it suits my pre-emptive offseason outrage.

I also have a vague recollection of Sandberg writing some awful columns for Yahoo a few years back that were all about the cagey grittiness needed to play the game the right way.  Can't seem to track them down, but there was some pretty dumb stuff in there.

EDIT: Here are a few of Sandberg's thoughts about, uh, stuff:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-fourforfour053105&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-fourforfour081605&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-fourforfour082305&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmD.DUrVO2.vJKHzjRHQT1oRvLYF?slug=rs-whitesox102405&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmxMgFFoa3IT68S83QvnJdARvLYF?slug=rs-nlcyyoung111005&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

*In a Nutsack

• TJG's 6th best writer.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #515 on: October 05, 2009, 12:16:02 PM »
I honestly don't give a shit.  Just read baseballreference.com, fill out the lineup card, don't let the guys lose respect for the staff, win, profit.  Easy.  Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Sandberg getting thrown out of games by ripping an umpire's neck off.  And, if he spends half the time in the clubhouse, that might actually work out, right?  Right?
Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."  And, these are the priciples I carry with me in the workplace.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #516 on: October 05, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 05, 2009, 12:06:22 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on October 05, 2009, 11:59:46 AM

Eli is right. The whole notion of "the game being played correctly" is wrong as people have been playing the game wrong for about 100+ years
I just read Moneyball and I'm going to just spew out what I read there.

SABR Yeti'd

You seem threatened

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #517 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:32 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 05, 2009, 12:12:54 PM

I suppose my evidence is more anecdotal (the horrors, I know).  A friend of mine saw quite a few Tennessee games this year and always complained about Sandberg sacrifice bunting in the early innings or putting on hit-and-runs all the time.  I've heard that quite a bit about him, so I've decided to adopt it as truth because it suits my pre-emptive offseason outrage.

I also have a vague recollection of Sandberg writing some awful columns for Yahoo a few years back that were all about the cagey grittiness needed to play the game the right way.  Can't seem to track them down, but there was some pretty dumb stuff in there.

EDIT: Here are a few of Sandberg's thoughts about, uh, stuff:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-fourforfour053105&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-fourforfour081605&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rs-fourforfour082305&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmD.DUrVO2.vJKHzjRHQT1oRvLYF?slug=rs-whitesox102405&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AmxMgFFoa3IT68S83QvnJdARvLYF?slug=rs-nlcyyoung111005&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I like the last one:
QuoteThis immediately took Dontrelle Willis (22-10, 2.63) out of the picture. Although Willis had an incredible season with the Florida Marlins, I felt that – to be considered the best pitcher in the league – the winner had to be able to win big games down the stretch and lead his team to the postseason.

Dontrelle's Sept line: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?n1=willido03&t=p&year=2005&share=0.87#87-93-sum:pitching_gamelogs

Of course, Dontrelle probably didn't cheer his team enough on his off days. That's why they didn't make it to the playoffs that year

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #518 on: October 05, 2009, 12:45:51 PM »
If Sandberg joining the coaching staff means more commercials like this, I'm opposed.

As IAN explained, there are many aspects to the job. In-game strategy is one of them. Managing and motivating players and their attitudes is another one of them. Teaching younger players is another one of them. Working well with the GM is addressing team needs is another. Putting on a good public face to the media and community organizations is another. Complementing the team's brand (i.e., Ozzie Guillen has become in many ways emblematic of the White Sox; Tommy Lasorda the Dodgers; Earl Weaver the Orioles, etc.) is probably another. Delegating well to staff is another.

In-game strategy can be taught. It can be dictated throughout the organization. That's one of the things Moneyball addressed. Billy Beane had very little tact with Art Howe, but one thing is correct: the manager works for the general manager. It doesn't mean the GM has to micromanage the manager, but a good GM would question philosophy and demand the manager mold his in game strategy to the organization's philosophy.

Can Sandberg manage and motivate, or teach, or become a good face of the Cubs? I'm not sure. But in-game strategy is probably the easiest to teach.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #519 on: October 05, 2009, 01:12:30 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2009, 12:45:51 PM
If Sandberg joining the coaching staff means more commercials like this, I'm opposed.

As IAN explained, there are many aspects to the job. In-game strategy is one of them. Managing and motivating players and their attitudes is another one of them. Teaching younger players is another one of them. Working well with the GM is addressing team needs is another. Putting on a good public face to the media and community organizations is another. Complementing the team's brand (i.e., Ozzie Guillen has become in many ways emblematic of the White Sox; Tommy Lasorda the Dodgers; Earl Weaver the Orioles, etc.) is probably another. Delegating well to staff is another.

In-game strategy can be taught. It can be dictated throughout the organization. That's one of the things Moneyball addressed. Billy Beane had very little tact with Art Howe, but one thing is correct: the manager works for the general manager. It doesn't mean the GM has to micromanage the manager, but a good GM would question philosophy and demand the manager mold his in game strategy to the organization's philosophy.

Can Sandberg manage and motivate, or teach, or become a good face of the Cubs? I'm not sure. But in-game strategy is probably the easiest to teach.

5 dollars a month for high-speed internet is a great deal.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #520 on: October 05, 2009, 01:24:46 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on October 05, 2009, 01:12:30 PM

5 dollars more a month* for high-speed internet is a great deal.

*Restrictions apply. Price reflects the difference between RCN's Signature Digital TV retail rate of $59.99 and RCN's double play promotional rate of $65. Available to New Internet Customers Only.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #521 on: October 05, 2009, 01:25:46 PM »

That's true, Gil, but is talking on the phone while sitting on the ledge of a full bathtub ever a good idea?

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #522 on: October 05, 2009, 01:39:02 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2009, 01:25:46 PM

That's true, Gil, but is talking on the phone while sitting on the ledge of a full bathtub ever a good idea?

Eh.  It was a cordless phone, operating on a battery.  I'm guessing if he falls in with the phone, he gets a mild zap, at best.  Now, replace phone with plugged in toaster, and we've got a whole new ballgame.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #523 on: October 05, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »

Anybody whose wife was porking one of his teammates will never get respect in a major league clubhouse. Pass.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #524 on: October 05, 2009, 01:50:44 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 05, 2009, 01:48:43 PM

Anybody whose wife was porking one of his teammates will never get respect in a major league clubhouse. Pass.

As always, your logic is bulletproof.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?