News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.  ( 104,609 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: CIN, HOU, MIL, PIT, CHC all pisspoor in 2009.
« Reply #525 on: October 05, 2009, 01:51:35 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 05, 2009, 01:48:43 PM
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2009, 12:45:51 PM
If Sandberg joining the coaching staff means more commercials like this, I'm opposed.

As IAN explained, there are many aspects to the job. In-game strategy is one of them. Managing and motivating players and their attitudes is another one of them. Teaching younger players is another one of them. Working well with the GM is addressing team needs is another. Putting on a good public face to the media and community organizations is another. Complementing the team's brand (i.e., Ozzie Guillen has become in many ways emblematic of the White Sox; Tommy Lasorda the Dodgers; Earl Weaver the Orioles, etc.) is probably another. Delegating well to staff is another.

In-game strategy can be taught. It can be dictated throughout the organization. That's one of the things Moneyball addressed. Billy Beane had very little tact with Art Howe, but one thing is correct: the manager works for the general manager. It doesn't mean the GM has to micromanage the manager, but a good GM would question philosophy and demand the manager mold his in game strategy to the organization's philosophy.

Can Sandberg manage and motivate, or teach, or become a good face of the Cubs? I'm not sure. But in-game strategy is probably the easiest to teach.

Anybody whose wife was porking one of his teammates will never get respect in a major league clubhouse. Pass.

Well there goes Dennis Eckerlsey's chances at ever managing...
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #526 on: October 05, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 05, 2009, 01:51:35 PM
Quote from: Fork on October 05, 2009, 01:48:43 PM
If Sandberg joining the coaching staff means more commercials like this, I'm opposed.

As IAN explained, there are many aspects to the job. In-game strategy is one of them. Managing and motivating players and their attitudes is another one of them. Teaching younger players is another one of them. Working well with the GM is addressing team needs is another. Putting on a good public face to the media and community organizations is another. Complementing the team's brand (i.e., Ozzie Guillen has become in many ways emblematic of the White Sox; Tommy Lasorda the Dodgers; Earl Weaver the Orioles, etc.) is probably another. Delegating well to staff is another.

In-game strategy can be taught. It can be dictated throughout the organization. That's one of the things Moneyball addressed. Billy Beane had very little tact with Art Howe, but one thing is correct: the manager works for the general manager. It doesn't mean the GM has to micromanage the manager, but a good GM would question philosophy and demand the manager mold his in game strategy to the organization's philosophy.

Can Sandberg manage and motivate, or teach, or become a good face of the Cubs? I'm not sure. But in-game strategy is probably the easiest to teach.

Anybody whose wife was porking one of his teammates will never get respect in a major league clubhouse. Pass.

Well there goes Dennis Eckerlsey's chances at ever managing...

I'm thinking Eck started hitting the bottle at the exact time Manning started hitting Eck's wife.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #527 on: October 05, 2009, 02:02:22 PM »
but one thing is correct: the manager works for the general manager. It doesn't mean the GM has to micromanage the manager, but a good GM would question philosophy and demand the manager mold his in game strategy to the organization's philosophy.
'Cept on the Cubs.  The reason a lot of Jim Hendry picks are no longer with the team is due to Lou Piniella telling Jim that the guys weren't going to play anymore.

Michael Barrett, Matt Murton, Jacque Jones, Cesar Izturis, Scott Eyre and Milton Bradley come to mind as players Jim wanted and Lou siad, "Fuck no."

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #528 on: October 05, 2009, 02:23:49 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 05, 2009, 02:02:22 PM
but one thing is correct: the manager works for the general manager. It doesn't mean the GM has to micromanage the manager, but a good GM would question philosophy and demand the manager mold his in game strategy to the organization's philosophy.
'Cept on the Cubs.  The reason a lot of Jim Hendry picks are no longer with the team is due to Lou Piniella telling Jim that the guys weren't going to play anymore.

Michael Barrett, Matt Murton, Jacque Jones, Cesar Izturis, Scott Eyre and Milton Bradley come to mind as players Jim wanted and Lou siad, "Fuck no."

But that maybe speaks to your point that the general manager is the problem.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #529 on: October 05, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2009, 02:23:49 PM

Lou's done his fair share of questionable things since he's been here and especially this year. Nobody is blameless.

Except me. I'm pretty cool.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #530 on: October 05, 2009, 02:42:10 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on October 05, 2009, 01:39:02 PM
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2009, 01:25:46 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on October 05, 2009, 01:12:30 PM

5 dollars a month for high-speed internet is a great deal.

That's true, Gil, but is talking on the phone while sitting on the ledge of a full bathtub ever a good idea?

Eh.  It was a cordless phone, operating on a battery.  I'm guessing if he falls in with the phone, he gets a mild zap, at best.  Now, replace phone with plugged in toaster, and we've got a whole new ballgame.

Yeah, a whole new ballgame that Sandberg would probably mismanage.  HEY-O!

Eli, I trust your anecdotal stuff.  I was just curious, because I had heard some of the same things, but from vague sources.
Hire Jim Essian!

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #531 on: October 05, 2009, 02:52:58 PM »
I'm fine with the minor league manager asking guys to put a bunt down....even more than Bill James says he should.   Because clearly it's being ignored by most people instructing the game.

I generally don't like sacrificing unless it's to get the tying or winning run to 3b with one out.  There are times I might sac to 2B if the guy at the plate is worthless.  But whether or not we like sac bunts...those situations do occur.  When they occur, too often the case is made that "The bunt isn't in the player's arsenal". 

I'll assume that Eli's assertion is well-based.  Still, the fact that he is teaching GRIT based small-ball at the minor league level just isn't particularly alarming to me.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #532 on: October 05, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 02:52:58 PM
I generally don't like sacrificing unless it's to get the tying or winning run to 3b with one out after the seventh inning

With that caveat, I agree'd.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #533 on: October 05, 2009, 03:32:29 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 05, 2009, 02:23:49 PM

I think it screams it.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #534 on: October 06, 2009, 10:51:09 AM »
One of Rozner's better columns (some good observations about what Sandberg has done in the minors and his willingness to learn the ropes):

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=326630
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #535 on: October 06, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »
Quote from: Andy on September 13, 2009, 05:52:45 PM
It makes as much sense to me as any of the other bullshit they write on that site.  Which is none.

The Cub Reportar blows.

This is like that episode of South Park when favorite band Radiohead told Scott Tenorman that he sucks.  Except the whole eating-parents-in-chili part, that is.

QuoteWhen they do take over, Ricketts and Hendry will get to have this conversation (the following brilliance is from Andy Dolan at Desipio):
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #536 on: October 06, 2009, 05:38:13 PM »
Quote from: Dave B on October 06, 2009, 10:51:09 AM
One of Rozner's better columns (some good observations about what Sandberg has done in the minors and his willingness to learn the ropes):

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=326630

I think you linked the wrong column.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #537 on: October 06, 2009, 07:38:12 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 05, 2009, 03:26:15 PM
I generally don't like sacrificing unless it's to get the tying or winning run to 3b with one out after the seventh inning

I meant to address this... With one out at the time of the bunt or one out after the bunt?

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #538 on: October 06, 2009, 11:01:54 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on October 06, 2009, 07:38:12 PM
Quote from: MAD on October 05, 2009, 03:26:15 PM

I meant to address this... With one out at the time of the bunt or one out after the bunt?

One out after the bunt, of course.

And yes, late in the game.  I might even say eighth inning or later.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #539 on: October 07, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »
DeRosa with more stellar defense in the playoffs.  BRING BACK DERO!!!

EDIT: Faced.

DOUBLE EDIT: At least I have the consolation prize of FACE-ing BC.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?