News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,671 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #330 on: July 22, 2013, 12:22:43 PM »
Kris Bryant made his professional debut yesterday with Mesa, going 0-for-3 with a strikeout.  He also made two throwing errors and one fielding error for a grand total of three.

EPSTINK IS TERRIBLE!
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #331 on: July 22, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 22, 2013, 11:48:57 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on July 21, 2013, 08:28:19 PM
Quote from: Fork on July 21, 2013, 07:58:41 PM
Going to a Cougars game this afternoon (highly recommended - especially for those of you with kids), I got to see Albert Almora ply his trade in person. Believe the hype. He worked the count well and hit the ball on the screws every time up.

Vogelbach and Shoulders are fun players, but they're never going to be Cubs. Or on any other team in the National League.

Reggie Golden hit a homer, but had a couple ugly ABs. But he looks like a legit right fielder, and has a really nice arm out there.

The other guy who looked really solid in every at bat and had a couple nice plays in the field was 2B Gioskar Amaya. I know his numbers have been up and down all year, but at least today he looked like a prospect.

Next season, we're definitely doing a group buy. As it is, there was no shortage of morans today.

These opinions don't matter yet. 99 more games to watch, pal.

If it meanss 99 more of theor BBQ pork chop sandwiches, I'm in.

Those pork chop sandwiches were an attraction the last time I was at Elfstrom Stadium in 1994.  Nice to know that hasn't changed.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #332 on: July 22, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 22, 2013, 12:42:39 PM
Going to a Cougars game this afternoon (highly recommended - especially for those of you with kids), I got to see Albert Almora ply his trade in person. Believe the hype. He worked the count well and hit the ball on the screws every time up.

Vogelbach and Shoulders are fun players, but they're never going to be Cubs. Or on any other team in the National League.

Reggie Golden hit a homer, but had a couple ugly ABs. But he looks like a legit right fielder, and has a really nice arm out there.

The other guy who looked really solid in every at bat and had a couple nice plays in the field was 2B Gioskar Amaya. I know his numbers have been up and down all year, but at least today he looked like a prospect.

Next season, we're definitely doing a group buy. As it is, there was no shortage of morans today.

Those pork chop sandwiches were an attraction the last time I was at Elfstrom Stadium in 1994.  Nice to know that hasn't changed.

Any comparison to the Iowa Pork Sandwiches at Hohokam?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #333 on: July 22, 2013, 06:43:34 PM »
Switching to this thread since CJ "String Bean Slinger" Edwards is a Cub now.  Tuned into the Sally League's Hickory Crawdads broadcast just to hear if they said anything about Edwards, who was scheduled to start tonight but like Garza was obviously scratched.  The announcer said Edwards will be assigned to High-A Daytona, so the Cubs are challenging him a little bit -- it'd be like promoting him from Kane County.  Epstink thinks he's ready for the next level.

How long until Al is asking the kid to email him?  I say two weeks.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #334 on: July 25, 2013, 12:49:09 PM »
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-curious-case-of-junior-lake/

QuoteJust like how we do not anticipate Yasiel Puig to maintain a .463 BABIP through the remainder of his career, we cannot anticipate Lake hitting 54 homers and BABIPing .600.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #335 on: July 25, 2013, 01:13:14 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 22, 2013, 01:19:54 PM
Quote from: PANK! on July 22, 2013, 12:42:39 PM

Any comparison to the Iowa Pork Sandwiches at Hohokam?

Or the pepper steak in the Cook County slam?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #336 on: July 25, 2013, 01:14:04 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 25, 2013, 12:49:09 PM

QuoteJust like how we do not anticipate Yasiel Puig to maintain a .463 BABIP through the remainder of his career, we cannot anticipate Lake hitting 54 homers and BABIPing .600.

Junior Lake makes my pants warm.

What I like about him is that his failures are spectacular as are his successes. So when he crashes back to earth it will be hilarious.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #337 on: July 25, 2013, 01:37:21 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 25, 2013, 01:14:04 PM

What I like about him is that his failures are spectacular as are his successes. So when he crashes back to earth it will be hilarious.

I still can't believe that his first starts at CF are at the major league level. Talk about setting him up for failure. He's actually done better than I would have thought in center.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #338 on: July 25, 2013, 02:27:41 PM »
Quote from: BH on July 25, 2013, 01:37:21 PM

I still can't believe that his first starts at CF are at the major league level. Talk about setting him up for failure. He's actually done better than I would have thought in center.

He's had at least two plays that have had me laughing my ass off. The first was the wall-crash where I thought he died. The second was him Sosaing the throw to home into the crowd for a seventeen base error.

Oh Junior. Never change.

There was a third - he ran in to claim a fly ball and him and Castro had no idea who should take it and it dropped.

He can run but he really fucking sucks at the outfield.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #339 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 25, 2013, 02:27:41 PM

He's had at least two plays that have had me laughing my ass off. The first was the wall-crash where I thought he died. The second was him Sosaing the throw to home into the crowd for a seventeen base error.

Oh Junior. Never change.

There was a third - he ran in to claim a fly ball and him and Castro had no idea who should take it and it dropped.

Bonus quote:

QuoteBut this can still be a coming out party. Lake still has a lot more going for him than just a fourth outfielder. Cue Newman:

QuoteOn defense, Lake has one of the best arms in all of minor league baseball. At some point, a move to the mound may become an option if the organization were to deem his development as a position player a lost cause. ... Lake is a plus runner. With 38 stolen bases in 44 attempts, base running is the most polished aspect of his game. With his physique, his speed should continue to be a weapon for years to come leaving him with the potential for 25+ stolen bases annually should he reach Chicago for good. In many respects, his game resembles that of a poor man's B.J. Upton without the added value of bases on balls.

The Cubs could use a toolsy, base-stealing pitcher, Mr. Burns.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #340 on: July 25, 2013, 05:01:38 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 25, 2013, 02:32:55 PM
Quote from: Slaky on July 25, 2013, 02:27:41 PM

Oh Junior. Never change.

Bonus quote:

QuoteBut this can still be a coming out party. Lake still has a lot more going for him than just a fourth outfielder. Cue Newman:

QuoteOn defense, Lake has one of the best arms in all of minor league baseball. At some point, a move to the mound may become an option if the organization were to deem his development as a position player a lost cause. ... Lake is a plus runner. With 38 stolen bases in 44 attempts, base running is the most polished aspect of his game. With his physique, his speed should continue to be a weapon for years to come leaving him with the potential for 25+ stolen bases annually should he reach Chicago for good. In many respects, his game resembles that of a poor man's B.J. Upton without the added value of bases on balls.

The Cubs could use a toolsy, base-stealing pitcher, Mr. Burns.

And you thought that we would never see the likes of Hal Jeffcoat again.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #341 on: July 26, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #342 on: July 26, 2013, 12:36:49 PM »
So if we pretend all the Cubs' top prospects fill out their projections, and the arrival of Olt moves Bryant to LF, and Baez moves Castro to 2B, these would be the Cubs' position players in 5 years:

1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Starlin Castro
SS - Javier Baez
3B - MIKE OLT!
LF - Kris Bryant
CF - Albert Almora
RF - Jorge Soler
C - Willson Contreras

With this type of depth in the organization, the Cubs can go 50/50 on prospects and still throw one helluva team on the field.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #343 on: July 26, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 26, 2013, 12:36:49 PM
So if we pretend all the Cubs' top prospects fill out their projections, and the arrival of Olt moves Bryant to LF, and Baez moves Castro to 2B, these would be the Cubs' position players in 5 years:

1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Starlin Castro
SS - Javier Baez
3B - MIKE OLT!
LF - Kris Bryant
CF - Albert Almora
RF - Jorge Soler
C - Willson Contreras

With this type of depth in the organization, the Cubs can go 50/50 on prospects and still throw one helluva team on the field.
And with payroll declinging rapidly and revenues projected to increase sharply, they could hit on 50%, trade 25% and sign free agents for the other 25% and stay well below luxury tax levels.

This is playing out quite nicely.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #344 on: July 26, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 26, 2013, 12:51:22 PM
Quote from: Fork on July 26, 2013, 12:36:49 PM

1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Starlin Castro
SS - Javier Baez
3B - MIKE OLT!
LF - Kris Bryant
CF - Albert Almora
RF - Jorge Soler
C - Willson Contreras

And with payroll declinging rapidly and revenues projected to increase sharply, they could hit on 50%, trade 25% and sign free agents for the other 25% and stay well below luxury tax levels.

This is playing out quite nicely.

The Soler contract will be the greatest thing ever by the time it's done.
TIME TO POST!