News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,672 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #480 on: August 23, 2013, 01:22:22 PM »
Final return from the Garza deal.

The Rangers announced that they have sent right-handed pitcher Neil Ramirez to the Cubs, completing the July 22nd trade that sent Matt Garza to Chicago. 

The Garza deal called for a player to be named later to be sent to Chicago, but with one interesting wrinkle.  Theo Epstein & Co. had the choice of either acquiring Ramirez or two other hurlers from an agreed upon list of names.

Ramirez, 24, was ranked as the 23rd best prospect in the Rangers' system heading into this season by Baseball America, but the publication had him as high as No. 5 at one point thanks to his strong 2011 minor league season.  In 2012, his stock fell a bit as he dealt with shoulder fatigue and was demoted to Double-A to finish out the season.

He was one of the original names to come up.  Pretty decent.

6'4, 190. RHP.  24 years old.
2013 at AA: 103 IP, 9-3, 3.84 ERA, 127 Ks, 42 BBs, 1.15 WHIP. 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #481 on: August 26, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »
$NER JUST PROVED WHY EPSTINK NEVER SHOULDA TRADED HIM.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #482 on: August 26, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 26, 2013, 04:54:26 PM
NOT. EVEN. IN. JEST.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #483 on: August 26, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
Quote from: Bort on August 26, 2013, 05:09:27 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 26, 2013, 04:54:26 PM
NOT. EVEN. IN. JEST.

Withdrawn.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #484 on: August 26, 2013, 07:47:04 PM »
Best. Nickname. Ever. Slightly ahead of JIMMY BUTTHOLE

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #485 on: August 27, 2013, 01:31:41 PM »
Almora, Baez, Bryant and Soler will all be on the Cubs' AFL roster.

Also, Vizcaino is starting his arm rehab.

Sploosh.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #486 on: August 27, 2013, 01:46:18 PM »
Quote from: Fork on August 27, 2013, 01:31:41 PM

Sploosh.

Also, prospects never pan out.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #487 on: August 27, 2013, 02:00:29 PM »
Quote from: BH on August 27, 2013, 01:46:18 PM
Quote from: Fork on August 27, 2013, 01:31:41 PM

Sploosh.

Also, prospects never pan out.

Sploosh, as in: how many tears, Theo?  A WATERFALL OF TEARS

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #488 on: August 27, 2013, 06:39:30 PM »
Boners.

Al Yellon

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #489 on: August 27, 2013, 08:14:10 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on August 27, 2013, 06:39:30 PM
Boners.

Prospects rarely pan out. I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but it's going to not happen. Maybe we'll see one of these three in blue pinstripes, but I'm not holding my breath. That said, as I wrote back in 2007, sometimes a prospect can bring out that fire in a team; that passion in fans; and 118 word sentences from the voice of the Cubbie nation.

QuoteCubs' record with Felix Pie in Chicago: 12-9 Cubs' record with Felix Pie in Iowa: 11-22

OK, maybe it's not cause-and-effect, but we all noticed it, and I'm sure you have too: there is a certain energy that seems to just come to this team when Felix Pie is playing, and it happened again today, as Pie was recalled from Iowa with Daryle Ward heading to the DL (as first reported here at BCB yesterday), was immediately inserted into the starting lineup in CF, hitting second, and responded with a single and a pop-fly hit that should have been a second single, but with his speed turned into a RBI double, and the Cubs had a no-brainer of a game, a badly-needed easy 10-1 win over the Braves, snapping the losing streak at six.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #490 on: August 27, 2013, 10:44:05 PM »
Quote from: Al Yellon on August 27, 2013, 08:14:10 PM
Boners.

Prospects rarely pan out. I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but it's going to not happen. Maybe we'll see one of these three in blue pinstripes, but I'm not holding my breath. That said, as I wrote back in 2007, sometimes a prospect can bring out that fire in a team; that passion in fans; and 118 word sentences from the voice of the Cubbie nation.

QuoteCubs' record with Felix Pie in Chicago: 12-9 Cubs' record with Felix Pie in Iowa: 11-22

OK, maybe it's not cause-and-effect, but we all noticed it, and I'm sure you have too: there is a certain energy that seems to just come to this team when Felix Pie is playing, and it happened again today, as Pie was recalled from Iowa with Daryle Ward heading to the DL (as first reported here at BCB yesterday), was immediately inserted into the starting lineup in CF, hitting second, and responded with a single and a pop-fly hit that should have been a second single, but with his speed turned into a RBI double, and the Cubs had a no-brainer of a game, a badly-needed easy 10-1 win over the Braves, snapping the losing streak at six.

Shut up Paul, you're a douche.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #491 on: August 27, 2013, 11:23:49 PM »
The 2014 Cubs could use the veteran leadership of Felix Pie, Mr. Ricketts.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #492 on: August 28, 2013, 12:27:34 AM »
Boners.

Now that's a sentence.  Well done ... Al.

Edit: Hmmm....

That's an awfully long commute from Iowa City to the bleachers every day...

QUICK -- WHICH HAT WERE YOU WEARING WHEN TOM GLAVINE MADE HISTORY AT WRIGLEY FIELD?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #493 on: August 28, 2013, 09:58:58 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on August 27, 2013, 11:23:49 PM
The 2014 Cubs could use the veteran leadership of Felix Pie, Mr. Ricketts.

Sorry, he's too busy making a run at the playoffs.

*Meant to post this the other day in the "Not Dead Yet" thread, appreciate the reminder.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #494 on: August 28, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 28, 2013, 12:27:34 AM
Boners.

Now that's a sentence.  Well done ... Al.

Edit: Hmmm....

That's an awfully long commute from Iowa City to the bleachers every day...

QUICK -- WHICH HAT WERE YOU WEARING WHEN TOM GLAVINE MADE HISTORY AT WRIGLEY FIELD?

Wow, I just read the post, and there's more gold in there:

QuoteAlan Trammell has now managed for the Cubs 1/43 (2.3%)as many wins as he did the entire 2003 season.

Or 1/22 as many wins as Lou Piniella had in his Cubs tenure up to that point. Or as many wins as Joe Altobelli had with the Cubs.

QuoteWe watched dark clouds approach the ballpark from almost all sides early in the afternoon and heard reports of people being asked to go to basements in the Aurora area, and felt several wind shifts for the first couple of innings, and when it started raining lightly in the second, I put my large ABC-7 umbrella up -- upon which I understand the WGN cameras took a real nice closeup shot of all of us. If you saw that umbrella, that was us! We learned this because no fewer than three different people called three of us to let us know they'd just seen us on the WGN telecast.

Al has worked in TV for how long, and he gives a shit about being spotted in the background of a telecast?

QuoteFinally, here's the Bad Security Confiscation of the day: if you have been around the bleachers at all for the last 30 years, you know there are several blind Cubs fans who sit with the season ticket group near the CF concession stand. One of them, a man named Howard, has brought a cowbell nearly every day since 1970, ringing it after Cub home runs (something Vince & Lou used to do in the radio booth). Today, he was told he can't bring it any more, because it is "too loud".

Excuse me? Too loud??!?!?! In the bleachers? This strikes me as overzealous and cruel, especially to someone as loyal as Howard, who I have known myself for more than 20 years -- really nice fellow, and I've even sat next to the cowbell myself a few times, and it's not "too loud".

If you're reading this, management, let the cowbell back in. It's rung in celebration. We haven't had that much to celebrate lately. Let's enjoy it while we can!

What jackasses complain about shit being too loud in the bleachers?