News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,645 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #660 on: January 23, 2014, 11:46:19 AM »
Alcantara made 50 errors in 130 games at short over the past two seasons, so I guess he's not exactly Hubie Brooks himself.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: January 23, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 11:44:28 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 23, 2014, 11:42:40 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 11:41:25 AM
Quote from: Eli on January 23, 2014, 11:40:05 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 11:35:03 AM
It looks like he moved to second when Baez got promoted last year on his way to 4,192 errors.

4,192 of the most badass errors you'll ever see.

And I didn't see any of them so they may be just an internet rumor like Masahiro Tanaka.

Mostly throwing errors. See what happens once he's throwing to Rizzo.

He'll be flipping underhand to pitchers covering mostly. Rizzo will be traded for Price.

No, Chuck

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: January 24, 2014, 10:44:28 AM »
Next man up?

There's a new player on the market.

Cuban catching prospect Yenier Bello has cleared by the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and can now enter into an agreement with a Major League team, according to an industry source.

Several teams, including the Dodgers, Cubs, and Blue Jays have been linked to the catcher. He is expected to sign before the start of Spring Training.

Bello, 28, who is represented by Bryce Dixon of the Primo Sports Group, left Cuba for Ecuador early in 2013 and later established residency in Mexico. He was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball late last year but was unable to enter a contract with a Major League club until he was cleared by OFAC earlier this week.

The right-handed batter hit .274 with 13 home runs in Cuba's La Serie Nacional, the country's top amateur league, in 2011. He hit 75 home runs and drove in 297 runs in his last five seasons in Cuba, primarily with Sancti Spíritus.

Harder to get excited about a 28-year old catcher, but given the Cubs valuing of international prospects lately, hard to discount them as a serious player here.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: January 24, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 24, 2014, 10:44:28 AM
Next man up?

Cuban catching prospect Yenier Bello has cleared by the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and can now enter into an agreement with a Major League team, according to an industry source.

Several teams, including the Dodgers, Cubs, and Blue Jays have been linked to the catcher. He is expected to sign before the start of Spring Training.

Bello, 28, who is represented by Bryce Dixon of the Primo Sports Group, left Cuba for Ecuador early in 2013 and later established residency in Mexico. He was declared a free agent by Major League Baseball late last year but was unable to enter a contract with a Major League club until he was cleared by OFAC earlier this week.

The right-handed batter hit .274 with 13 home runs in Cuba's La Serie Nacional, the country's top amateur league, in 2011. He hit 75 home runs and drove in 297 runs in his last five seasons in Cuba, primarily with Sancti Spíritus.

Harder to get excited about a 28-year old catcher, but given the Cubs valuing of international prospects lately, hard to discount them as a serious player here.

.274? pass

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: January 24, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
Next man up?

The chatter seems to be focused on the cubs flipping one of those mid-top 10 prospects and maybe another for a starter as opposed to signing an old dude off the heap.

I'm glad this isn't my job. Everyone thinks the cubs should DO SOMETHING but all of the options are horrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: January 24, 2014, 12:03:03 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 24, 2014, 11:05:48 AM
Next man up?

The chatter seems to be focused on the cubs flipping one of those mid-top 10 prospects and maybe another for a starter as opposed to signing an old dude off the heap.

I'm glad this isn't my job. Everyone thinks the cubs should DO SOMETHING but all of the options are horrible.

DO SOMETHING is my most favoritest battle cry ever.  Because constant, brainless activity is the sure sign of a winning organization. Sharks don't sleep man*

*may not be true

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: January 24, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 24, 2014, 12:03:03 PM
Next man up?

DO SOMETHING is my most favoritest battle cry ever.  Because constant, brainless activity is the sure sign of a winning organization. Sharks don't sleep man*

*may not be true

Even over FIRE EVERYBODY?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: January 24, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 24, 2014, 12:30:38 PM
Next man up?

*may not be true

TRADE EVERYONE is my personal favorite.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: January 24, 2014, 02:28:36 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 24, 2014, 12:37:21 PM
Next man up?

*may not be true

I'm a bit partial to GET MONEY FUCK BITCHES myself.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: January 25, 2014, 07:43:21 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 24, 2014, 02:28:36 PM
Next man up?

*may not be true

FIREBARN THE WHOLE DAMN TEAM
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: January 26, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 24, 2014, 02:28:36 PM
Next man up?

*may not be true

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: January 28, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »
Suk-Min Yoon, Korean for Bonertime.

"걱정하지 마라. 윤석민은 메이저리그 진출을 눈앞에 두고 있다. 이번 주말이나 다음 주 초가 되면 오랫동안 기다리던 계약 발표를 할 수 있을 것이다."

윤석민의 메이저리그행을 돕고 있는 에이전트 보라스 코퍼레이션의 한 관계자는 28일 기자와의 전화통화에서 윤석민의 메이저리그 진출을 장담했고, 계약과 관련해 곧 발표를 하게 될 것이라고 밝혔다.

Quote from: Rotoworld Translation
Naver Sports in Korea reports that right-hander Suk-Min Yoon is in negotiations with two major league teams and could sign with one of them soon.
The 27-year-old has received four offers but has narrowed the field to two. It's not clear which two clubs they are, but the Cubs, Twins and Red Sox have all been connected to Yoon. The right-hander could potentially be used as a back-end starter or reliever in the big leagues.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: January 28, 2014, 08:58:35 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 28, 2014, 06:18:28 PM

"걱정하지 마라. 윤석민은 메이저리그 진출을 눈앞에 두고 있다. 이번 주말이나 다음 주 초가 되면 오랫동안 기다리던 계약 발표를 할 수 있을 것이다."

윤석민의 메이저리그행을 돕고 있는 에이전트 보라스 코퍼레이션의 한 관계자는 28일 기자와의 전화통화에서 윤석민의 메이저리그 진출을 장담했고, 계약과 관련해 곧 발표를 하게 될 것이라고 밝혔다.

Naver Sports in Korea reports that right-hander Suk-Min Yoon is in negotiations with two major league teams and could sign with one of them soon.
The 27-year-old has received four offers but has narrowed the field to two. It's not clear which two clubs they are, but the Cubs, Twins and Red Sox have all been connected to Yoon. The right-hander could potentially be used as a back-end starter or reliever in the big leagues.

YOU SUK

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: January 29, 2014, 08:15:11 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 28, 2014, 08:58:35 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 28, 2014, 06:18:28 PM

YOU SUK

SUK IT!!!

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: January 29, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 23, 2014, 11:02:25 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 10:52:01 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 23, 2014, 10:47:55 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 10:43:51 AM
I just realized that Baez had 35 extra-base hits in 240 AA plate appearances last year. Good God, man!

Isn't AAA more of a hitters league, too? I think the PCL is like a network of Coors Fields. He's going destroy AAA pitching.

Also RE: Chuck's question - most of the projections have Bryant ending up in right field.

I don't think Baez will stay at short. Remember Rizzo's contract is tradeable if they want to stick him there. If Alcantara's worth a shit, he could play short with Castro moving to second. Or maybe somebody puts a quarter in Starlin and Alcantara plays second. Bryant plays third. Soler in right. Almora in center. Some big fat tree of a free agent plays left.

World Series.

The ideal look would be something like Baez at third, Castro SS, Alcantara 2B, Rizzo 1B, LF Soler, CF Almora, RF Bryant.

Naturally only 1 or 2 of these things will work out in any meaningful way which is why Parks titled his prospect report Prospects Will Break Your Heart.

Parks also said somewhere (Twitter?) That MIKE OLT! is a wild-card. If his vision is back to normal, and he's not bailing out on inside pitches, third base gets a lot more interesting.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16