News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,694 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #705 on: February 18, 2014, 10:19:22 AM »
Quote from: Eli on February 18, 2014, 09:42:29 AM
Quote from: R-V on February 18, 2014, 09:00:17 AM
I saw some discussion on the tweets yesternight about people being sick of losing and possibly wanting Baez and Bryant to start the season with the big league club. I can understand impatience from finely aged folks like Stew, but for anyone under the age of 115 who will presumably live to see this rebuilding process play out I don't get it - what's the rush? Starlin got called up when he was 20, Patterson when he was 21. Now all players are different, and I'm not saying that Starlin can be called a bust yet...but even setting aside arbitration clock issues, why not err on the side of caution with two guys who just turned 21 and 22?

I saw that and get both sides. I think Baez would have a reasonable chance to be the Cubs' best player over a full season (partially based on how terrible everyone else is), so it's annoying to keep him down because 1.) it'd just be fun to actually see some exciting talent and 2.) they're obviously not concerned with putting their best product on the field. But everyone knows that.

On the other hand, starting him in AAA is almost certainly the rational, prudent move for a small-market franchise like the Cubs.

That Twitter discussion showed that Cubs fandom has been reduced to a pissing content over who is the best-behaved, most patient fan. It should be a good year!

Check out the Big Butthurt on Brad!
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #706 on: February 18, 2014, 10:26:18 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 18, 2014, 10:19:22 AM
I saw some discussion on the tweets yesternight about people being sick of losing and possibly wanting Baez and Bryant to start the season with the big league club. I can understand impatience from finely aged folks like Stew, but for anyone under the age of 115 who will presumably live to see this rebuilding process play out I don't get it - what's the rush? Starlin got called up when he was 20, Patterson when he was 21. Now all players are different, and I'm not saying that Starlin can be called a bust yet...but even setting aside arbitration clock issues, why not err on the side of caution with two guys who just turned 21 and 22?

I saw that and get both sides. I think Baez would have a reasonable chance to be the Cubs' best player over a full season (partially based on how terrible everyone else is), so it's annoying to keep him down because 1.) it'd just be fun to actually see some exciting talent and 2.) they're obviously not concerned with putting their best product on the field. But everyone knows that.

On the other hand, starting him in AAA is almost certainly the rational, prudent move for a small-market franchise like the Cubs.

That Twitter discussion showed that Cubs fandom has been reduced to a pissing content over who is the best-behaved, most patient fan. It should be a good year!

The Cubs were a lemon when Ricketts bought them and he likely paid too much. I'd rather not spend my days being pissed off about that and being pissed off that this team won't be able to operate like a big market behemoth until Huey shoves Beth Murphy off a train platform and Tom finally makes the wise move and hires Chuck to replace Crane Kenney.

Instead I'm going to focus on the fact that they have embarked on an honest to God rebuilding process to generate some blue-chip homegrown talent which they have NEVER done in my lifetime. Who the hell knows if it'll work, it probably won't because shit happens, but it's something different and it just might be something good. All that they're asking in exchange is that I watch some shitty baseball for a few years. OK. I've been doing that most of my life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #707 on: February 18, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on February 18, 2014, 10:19:22 AM

I need a "HueyBait: Achieved" graphic.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #708 on: February 18, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »
Quote from: R-V on February 18, 2014, 10:26:18 AM
The Cubs were a lemon when Ricketts bought them and he likely paid too much.

No. He likely got a good deal. The issue seems to be that Zell insisted on more debt than was prudent and that Dad would only let some of the debt be family cash.

They levered up for the good of the Trib and didn't/weren't willing to use enough equity.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #709 on: February 18, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
Quote from: BH on February 18, 2014, 09:09:07 AM

People are stupid. Whenever these guys get called up, and they struggle learning major league pitching, Cubs fans are going to be hilarious to watch.

I am content to let the Baez'es and Bryants age in the minors.  What I don't like is the unwillingness to put out some money for some decent free agents so that in the meantime there is a marketable product on the field.  What we saw last August and September was unbearable.  No pun intended.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #710 on: February 18, 2014, 11:06:17 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 18, 2014, 10:54:59 AM

People are stupid. Whenever these guys get called up, and they struggle learning major league pitching, Cubs fans are going to be hilarious to watch.

I am content to let the Baez'es and Bryants age in the minors.  What I don't like is the unwillingness to put out some money for some decent free agents so that in the meantime there is a marketable product on the field.  What we saw last August and September was unbearable.  No pun intended.

I didn't know there were people who actually saw what happened in August and September of last year.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #711 on: February 18, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »

I am content to let the Baez'es and Bryants age in the minors.  What I don't like is the unwillingness to put out some money for some decent free agents so that in the meantime there is a marketable product on the field.  What we saw last August and September was unbearable.  No pun intended.

How are they supposed to draft and sign more Bryants and Solers if they're paying a bunch of Jeff Francouers and Bronson Arroyos in August and September to win enough games to push them up the draft and international signing pool order? I'm being serious. I really want to know how the idea of being watchable and marginally competitive helps them acquire enough talent to make a difference long-term.

If a watchable .500-ish team is what you want, I don't really understand your agenda. It kind of hurts my head a little. I'm going to be honest.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #712 on: February 18, 2014, 12:32:18 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 18, 2014, 12:10:47 PM

I am content to let the Baez'es and Bryants age in the minors.  What I don't like is the unwillingness to put out some money for some decent free agents so that in the meantime there is a marketable product on the field.  What we saw last August and September was unbearable.  No pun intended.

How are they supposed to draft and sign more Bryants and Solers if they're paying a bunch of Jeff Francouers and Bronson Arroyos in August and September to win enough games to push them up the draft and international signing pool order? I'm being serious. I really want to know how the idea of being watchable and marginally competitive helps them acquire enough talent to make a difference long-term.

If a watchable .500-ish team is what you want, I don't really understand your agenda. It kind of hurts my head a little. I'm going to be honest.

I object to the idea that Jeff Francouer would somehow make any team marginally competitive.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #713 on: February 18, 2014, 12:46:47 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 18, 2014, 12:32:18 PM

I object to the idea that Jeff Francouer would somehow make any team marginally competitive.

Well, if a really good team had him play everyday, they'd drop from really competitive to marginally competitive

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #714 on: February 18, 2014, 12:56:53 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 18, 2014, 12:46:47 PM

Well, if a really good team had him play everyday, they'd drop from really competitive to marginally competitive

I used him as an example because I think I remember somebody saying he should be signed when he was available late last year. And I used Arroyo because I fucking hate him. And I wanted to feel good about the fact that he wasn't on the Cubs. But that guy was out there for you if you wanted to sign a free agent this offseason.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #715 on: February 18, 2014, 01:40:38 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on February 18, 2014, 12:56:53 PM

I used him as an example because I think I remember somebody saying he should be signed when he was available late last year. And I used Arroyo because I fucking hate him. And I wanted to feel good about the fact that he wasn't on the Cubs. But that guy was out there for you if you wanted to sign a free agent this offseason.

I know Pex, and I felt I had to restate my objection to his very existence because I was enraged by that suggestion.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #716 on: February 18, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »
Quote from: CT III on February 18, 2014, 01:40:38 PM

I know Pex, and I felt I had to restate my objection to his very existence because I was enraged by that suggestion.

Al's suggestion that the Cubs pick up Francoeur was one of the few times my raging Cubs butthurt overlapped with my raging Royals butthurt.

Francoeur was the worst player in baseball last year.. The fact that anyone was paying him a major league salary enrages me.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #717 on: February 18, 2014, 02:16:53 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on February 18, 2014, 01:56:41 PM
Quote from: CT III on February 18, 2014, 01:40:38 PM

Al's suggestion that the Cubs pick up Francoeur was one of the few times my raging Cubs butthurt overlapped with my raging Royals butthurt.

Francoeur was the worst player in baseball last year.. The fact that anyone was paying him a major league salary enrages me.

Shame on anyone who advocated signing Francoeur.  But I really don't think that his presence would have had a negative influence on last year's Cubs team.  I joke.  I think that Junior Lake was an outlier in the Cubs' approach to bringing up players from the minors. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #718 on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:07 PM »
Everyone who whines about the Cubs not being competitive now is not allowed to enjoy Bryant's MVP awards and All-Star appearances in a few years. I just decided that.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #719 on: February 18, 2014, 02:54:23 PM »
Quote from: Tony on February 18, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Everyone who whines about the Cubs not being competitive now is not allowed to enjoy Bryant's MVP awards and All-Star appearances in a few years. I just decided that.

I see what you did there.