News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,696 )

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #720 on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 18, 2014, 02:54:23 PM
Quote from: Tony on February 18, 2014, 02:49:07 PM
Everyone who whines about the Cubs not being competitive now is not allowed to enjoy Bryant's MVP awards and All-Star appearances in a few years. I just decided that.

I see what you did there.

I didn't see that. I guess I just agree with Chuck. Now I feel funny.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #721 on: February 18, 2014, 03:15:05 PM »
Quote from: Tony on February 18, 2014, 03:08:33 PM
Everyone who whines about the Cubs not being competitive now is not allowed to enjoy Bryant's MVP awards and All-Star appearances in a few years. I just decided that.

You should. That line of thinking is bad thinking.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #722 on: February 18, 2014, 03:20:49 PM »
Quote from: Eli on February 18, 2014, 03:15:05 PM

Quote from: InternetApex on February 18, 2014, 12:10:47 PM
How are they supposed to draft and sign more Bryants and Solers if they're paying a bunch of Jeff Francouers and Bronson Arroyos in August and September to win enough games to push them up the draft and international signing pool order? I'm being serious. I really want to know how the idea of being watchable and marginally competitive helps them acquire enough talent to make a difference long-term.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #723 on: February 18, 2014, 03:21:15 PM »
Is there evidence one way or another on the effect of bringing up a prospect before they're ripe? Am I just repeating some old conventional wisdom about bringing a player up too soon that isn't really backed up by the facts?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #724 on: February 18, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
Quote from: R-V on February 18, 2014, 03:21:15 PM
Is there evidence one way or another on the effect of bringing up a prospect before they're ripe? Am I just repeating some old conventional wisdom about bringing a player up too soon that isn't really backed up by the facts?

We only know that it was "too soon" after the fact.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #725 on: February 18, 2014, 03:26:17 PM »
Quote from: Tony on February 18, 2014, 03:20:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on February 18, 2014, 03:15:05 PM

Quote from: InternetApex on February 18, 2014, 12:10:47 PM
How are they supposed to draft and sign more Bryants and Solers if they're paying a bunch of Jeff Francouers and Bronson Arroyos in August and September to win enough games to push them up the draft and international signing pool order? I'm being serious. I really want to know how the idea of being watchable and marginally competitive helps them acquire enough talent to make a difference long-term.

Nowhere does Apex say you can't enjoy a future MVP trophy that's never actually going to happen

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #726 on: February 18, 2014, 03:29:22 PM »
I hate this season already.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #727 on: February 18, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 18, 2014, 03:29:22 PM

It's going to be very bad. I suppose we should find something else to do. Problem is I really like watching baseball. How about the Jeter farewell circlejerk? In no way will that be horrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #728 on: February 18, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 18, 2014, 03:34:36 PM

It's going to be very bad. I suppose we should find something else to do. Problem is I really like watching baseball. How about the Jeter farewell circlejerk? In no way will that be horrible.

He's the greatest Yankee in history, you know.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #729 on: February 18, 2014, 03:43:05 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on February 18, 2014, 03:34:36 PM

Good God. I thought Rivera's was beat into the ground. This year will basically be a Forkjoke.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #730 on: February 18, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »

I know you said you wanted to set aside the arbitration clock, but that's pretty much all I care about at this point.  If keeping Baez and Bryant in the minors for a few months rather than have them break camp with the team means the Cubs get to hold onto them for a little longer, then that's what I want them to do.

Does that make me an asshole?
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #731 on: February 18, 2014, 03:49:46 PM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on February 18, 2014, 03:47:04 PM

I know you said you wanted to set aside the arbitration clock, but that's pretty much all I care about at this point.  If keeping Baez and Bryant in the minors for a few months rather than have them break camp with the team means the Cubs get to hold onto them for a little longer, then that's what I want them to do.

Nope.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #732 on: February 18, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »
Quote from: Tony on February 18, 2014, 03:49:46 PM

Nope.

Especially not in the case of Bryant, who's represented by Boras.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #733 on: February 18, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
Quote from: R-V on February 18, 2014, 03:53:47 PM
Quote from: Tony on February 18, 2014, 03:49:46 PM

Nope.

Especially not in the case of Bryant, who's represented by Boras.

I always thought that the idea of keeping a player in the minors until he was ready meant that you could control when and where he played, how much coaching he got and minimized the psychological effect of his failures. Striking out five times and making three errors in a AA game doesn't mean shit. Do it at the Major League level too many times and a shitstorm could ensue, which affects more than just the player in question.

Or did you want some sort of math?

I feel like for players like Patterson and Pie, whose major failings stem from a lack of attention to the strike zone, unless you believe that you're going to work that out of them in the minors, the "Too Soon!" argument doesn't factor in. Two years or 10 years in the farm system the Cubs had in those days wouldn't have done much for those two guys.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #734 on: February 18, 2014, 05:58:56 PM »
La la la can't hear you guys.

CF Almora
2B Alcantara
3B Bryant
SS Baez
1B Rizzo
RF Soler
C Castillo
LF Jimenez/Lake/Jackson/who cares

Looking forward to all those 15-8 slugfests except for the days when the legit ace they get for Castro, Snork, and Vogelbach is starting.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?