News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,687 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #960 on: May 15, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
Since Hoffman is off the board, there's been some Twitter talk about the Cubs taking Kyle Freeland from Evansville at #4. Sounds like he's shooting up the board pretty quickly.

Scouting report, if anyone is interested.

QuoteCombining impeccable command with plus stuff, Evansville lefthander Kyle Freeland produced one of the most dominant starts of the college season, striking out nearly half (47 percent) of the 32 Charlotte hitters he faced this past weekend in an economical complete-game effort.

"That was as overmatched as I have seen a decent D-1 college team in a long time outside of the upper-echelon pitchers like Stephen Strasburg, David Price and Carlos Rodon, when he is going good," a National League scout said.

He displayed everything evaluators wanted to see, making Freeland a likely first-round pick with the potential to go in the top half of the round. Freeland garnered 22 swinging strikes on the day and retired 19 straight hitters at one point.

He's probably about as close to major-league ready as anyone in this year's class. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #961 on: May 15, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 15, 2014, 09:16:30 AM
Since Hoffman is off the board, there's been some Twitter talk about the Cubs taking Kyle Freeland from Evansville at #4. Sounds like he's shooting up the board pretty quickly.

QuoteCombining impeccable command with plus stuff, Evansville lefthander Kyle Freeland produced one of the most dominant starts of the college season, striking out nearly half (47 percent) of the 32 Charlotte hitters he faced this past weekend in an economical complete-game effort.

"That was as overmatched as I have seen a decent D-1 college team in a long time outside of the upper-echelon pitchers like Stephen Strasburg, David Price and Carlos Rodon, when he is going good," a National League scout said.

He displayed everything evaluators wanted to see, making Freeland a likely first-round pick with the potential to go in the top half of the round. Freeland garnered 22 swinging strikes on the day and retired 19 straight hitters at one point.

He's probably about as close to major-league ready as anyone in this year's class. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.
Whatever happened to that "can't miss" prospect who beaned the guy in the on deck circle?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #962 on: May 15, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on May 15, 2014, 09:18:58 AM

Whatever happened to that "can't miss" prospect who beaned the guy in the on deck circle?

Ben Christensen?  Not sure he was ever "can't miss".
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #963 on: May 15, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on May 15, 2014, 09:33:52 AM

Given the tommy john disease epidemic, i wouldn't be surprised to see the cubs sign the best hitter at the top pick, then draft pitchers with all the other picks.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #964 on: May 15, 2014, 10:04:29 AM »

Intrepid Reader: IAN

Except Aaron Nola. 

In case you haven't heard.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #965 on: May 15, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »

Except when brushing back on deck hitters, apparently.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #966 on: May 15, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on May 15, 2014, 10:18:46 AM

What ever happened to Ben Christensen?

QuoteHe still lives in Wichita, Kan., and is viewed as an icon there by some.

When he was introduced at Wichita State's annual First Pitch Banquet just nine months after his beaning of Anthony Molina, Christensen received a standing ovation.

But his life didn't turn out the way he hoped, any more than Molina's did.

Christensen was drafted by the Chicago Cubs as the 26th overall pick in 1999, but he never came close to making it to the major leagues. He had frequent arm problems and spent five years in the Cubs' minor league system, never rising above the Class AA level before being released in May 2003. He pitched in just 60 games in five years, compiling a won-loss record of 12-18.

Christensen has refused all interview requests, even from his hometown newspaper.

Molina said he never had a chance to talk to Christensen and never has had any desire to do so.

"We're both in different places in our lives right now," he said. "I don't ever think about him at all.'
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #967 on: May 15, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 15, 2014, 10:25:17 AM

When he was introduced at Wichita State's annual First Pitch Banquet just nine months after his beaning of Anthony Molina, Christensen received a standing ovation.

Christensen was drafted by the Chicago Cubs as the 26th overall pick in 1999, but he never came close to making it to the major leagues. He had frequent arm problems and spent five years in the Cubs' minor league system, never rising above the Class AA level before being released in May 2003. He pitched in just 60 games in five years, compiling a won-loss record of 12-18.

Christensen has refused all interview requests, even from his hometown newspaper.

Molina said he never had a chance to talk to Christensen and never has had any desire to do so.

"We're both in different places in our lives right now," he said. "I don't ever think about him at all.'

Luckily, we still have Bobby Brownlie to offset the low times of that era's pitching prospects.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #968 on: May 15, 2014, 11:08:17 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 15, 2014, 10:26:19 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on May 15, 2014, 10:25:17 AM

Luckily, we still have Bobby Brownlie to offset the low times of that era's pitching prospects.

He got a standing ovation and is an icon there?
Wasn't Molina at one time a decent prospect until he basically lost sight in one eye? His life now, per Tonk's listing, is truly awful.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #969 on: May 15, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
Something Something Kris Bryant's hangdown.

Come the fuck on, guys.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #970 on: May 15, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on May 15, 2014, 11:29:43 AM

Come the fuck on, guys.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #971 on: May 15, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
Quote from: BH on May 15, 2014, 09:58:00 AM

Given the tommy john disease epidemic, i wouldn't be surprised to see the cubs sign the best hitter at the top pick, then draft pitchers with all the other picks.

Article today from Sahadev Sharma on some options for the Cubs at 4.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #972 on: May 15, 2014, 11:50:41 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 15, 2014, 11:38:12 AM

Come the fuck on, guys.

I love that gif because 1.) Kris Bryant 2.) Drooling over a prospect's home run as the Cubs are losing 13-1 is the perfect microcosm for this year.

But still. Kris Bryant.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #973 on: May 15, 2014, 11:54:00 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 15, 2014, 11:45:21 AM
Quote from: BH on May 15, 2014, 09:58:00 AM

Article today from Sahadev Sharma on some options for the Cubs at 4.
I don't know who Sahadev Sharma is, but I think that he must be Paul Bunyan's twin brother since he refers to a 5"10" prospect as "diminutive".
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #974 on: May 15, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 15, 2014, 11:50:41 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 15, 2014, 11:38:12 AM

Come the fuck on, guys.

I love that gif because 1.) Kris Bryant 2.) Drooling over a prospect's home run as the Cubs are losing 13-1 is the perfect microcosm for this year.
being able to complain about the score of a Spring Training game works perfectly with my doom and gloom attitude about the Cubs.

But still. Kris Bryant.

Eli'd