News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,694 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1350 on: July 07, 2014, 12:28:47 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 07, 2014, 11:26:22 AM
Quote from: Slaky on July 07, 2014, 11:15:30 AM
EPSTINK FUCKED UP

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/madden-theo-epstein-forgets-game-moneyball-article-1.1856368

By that dude's logic, because Epstein was asking for huge compensation from other teams, the huge compensation he got back from Oakland was a defeat. Nowhere does anyone say that the Cardinals, Yankees or whoever were beating down Epstein's door with packages greater than he took from Oakland. It just says he was asking for them. I don't get it.

He says Beane fleeced Epstein. He's got two pitchers, one a free agent at season's end and one with a year left on his deal. Then what? I don't see Oakland meeting Snork's asking price or him coming down any for them. We'll see what Beane is able to flip him for next year and we'll see who fleeced who. 

It's the dumbest take on the trade that isn't by Al Yellon.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1351 on: July 07, 2014, 12:31:20 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 07, 2014, 12:28:47 PM
EPSTINK FUCKED UP

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/madden-theo-epstein-forgets-game-moneyball-article-1.1856368

By that dude's logic, because Epstein was asking for huge compensation from other teams, the huge compensation he got back from Oakland was a defeat. Nowhere does anyone say that the Cardinals, Yankees or whoever were beating down Epstein's door with packages greater than he took from Oakland. It just says he was asking for them. I don't get it.

He says Beane fleeced Epstein. He's got two pitchers, one a free agent at season's end and one with a year left on his deal. Then what? I don't see Oakland meeting Snork's asking price or him coming down any for them. We'll see what Beane is able to flip him for next year and we'll see who fleeced who. 

Gordo has been surprisingly restrained on this one.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1352 on: July 07, 2014, 01:10:11 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 07, 2014, 11:38:11 AM
Quote from: PANK! on July 07, 2014, 11:31:21 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 07, 2014, 08:53:38 AM
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 08:47:37 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 07, 2014, 08:32:07 AM
I read an interesting take that Starlin Castro could be flipped for pitching to the Yankees or Mets.

I don't think either of them have any pitching that's worth Castro.

There's Stephen Matz (#10) Rafael Montero (#2) and Noah Syndergaard (#1) with the Mets and Ian Clarkin (#10) and Jose Ramirez (#9) for the Yankees. Not much with the Yankees it appears.

You don't think a package with Syndergaard from the Mets would suffice for Castro?

Are you aware that Syndegaard ahs been lit up in his last several starts?  If that list would be revised today, he would not be #1 anymore (I know this because I drafted Syndegaard in my Pederast League last year and have been following him closely).  The Mets have cooled on his prospects over the last 6 weeks right after the point he was seriously being discussed as a possible callup this season.

Like I said earlier, that trade isn't my idea. Just something I read on this here internet. Syndergaard did just throw 7 IP of one run ball with 8 K's for the Mets AAA affiliate. He's also 21, a solid 6 years younger than the average player at AAA. So, I wouldn't be too alarmed by him getting knocked around a bit.

And if there's one thing we know for sure, 6 weeks definitely make up a prospect's long term outcome.

If we're going for Mets pitching, can't we just get Matt Harvey and Zach Wheeler? At least one of their TJs is out of the way.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1353 on: July 07, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 07, 2014, 01:10:11 PM
If we're going for Mets pitching, can't we just get Matt Harvey and Zach Wheeler? At least one of their TJs is out of the way.

In my original reply to IAN, I was going to joke that I'd only trade Castro to the Mets for Harvey. But really, I'm not even sure I'd be comfortable with that. Sure, he was a stud and TJ surgery has ever-improving outcomes, but it's no lock that he's the same pitcher afterwards. Or that he wouldn't just get injured again.

Point is, as everyone seems to agree, the idea of trading Castro just to satisfy some sort of obligatory hitting/pitching balance seems ill-advised.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1354 on: July 07, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »
Quote from: Fork on July 07, 2014, 12:31:20 PM
Quote from: Slaky on July 07, 2014, 12:28:47 PM
EPSTINK FUCKED UP

Gordo has been surprisingly restrained on this one.

He hasn't figured out how the cash flow works for this one.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1355 on: July 07, 2014, 01:23:37 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 01:18:40 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on July 07, 2014, 01:10:11 PM

In my original reply to IAN, I was going to joke that I'd only trade Castro to the Mets for Harvey. But really, I'm not even sure I'd be comfortable with that. Sure, he was a stud and TJ surgery has ever-improving outcomes, but it's no lock that he's the same pitcher afterwards. Or that he wouldn't just get injured again.

Point is, as everyone seems to agree, the idea of trading Castro just to satisfy some sort of obligatory hitting/pitching balance seems ill-advised.

It's even more ridiculous when getting above average free agent pitching hasn't been a problem for Theostink so far.
Keep all these young hitters, and kill everyone.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1356 on: July 07, 2014, 02:32:31 PM »
Good article on how the Cubs are doing a way better job of rebuilding than the Astros, and this doesn't take into account Aiken's broken elbow.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1357 on: July 07, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 07, 2014, 02:32:31 PM
Good article on how the Cubs are doing a way better job of rebuilding than the Astros, and this doesn't take into account Aiken's broken elbow.

Related: As much hype as George Springer gets as the nNext Great Young Player, every time he steps to the plate he is 6 months OLDER than Starlin Castro. That's absolutely staggering.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1358 on: July 07, 2014, 02:42:12 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 02:40:53 PM

Related: As much hype as George Springer gets as the nNext Great Young Player, every time he steps to the plate he is 6 months OLDER than Starlin Castro. That's absolutely staggering.

This is the funniest take on that yet. I LOL'd.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1359 on: July 07, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »
Also, that article does a good job highlighting that the Astros have basically just tanked and done very little else. The Cubs have aimed to get high picks, yes, but they've done a much, much better job of getting talent through trades and the IFA market (despite a couple painful misses there). It's hard enough to do any full-scale rebuild, but the Astros' way is even harder because it's been basically dependent on one thing.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1360 on: July 07, 2014, 02:51:49 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 09:08:42 AM
Like SKO said, I'm comfortable with the Cubs just building a massive offense and then throwing shit at the wall for pitching every year.

And, then, if they feel set up to make a push, they can always make like the A's in the mid-season trade market.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1361 on: July 07, 2014, 03:00:02 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 02:50:26 PM
Also, that article does a good job highlighting that the Astros have basically just tanked and done very little else. The Cubs have aimed to get high picks, yes, but they've done a much, much better job of getting talent through trades and the IFA market (despite a couple painful misses there). It's hard enough to do any full-scale rebuild, but the Astros' way is even harder because it's been basically dependent on one thing.

Also about the only thing the Cubs and Astros have in common is their both bad major league baseball teams. Even with all the bullshit the Cubs will generate a fuckload of revenue from their actual fan base which they have (unlike Houston) and all the other crap once they figure it out.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1362 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:36 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 07, 2014, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 09:08:42 AM
Like SKO said, I'm comfortable with the Cubs just building a massive offense and then throwing shit at the wall for pitching every year.

And, then, if they feel set up to make a push, they can always make like the A's in the mid-season trade market.

Throwing shit at the wall, yes. But some of these pitchers they have don't suck. It's not unreasonable to build a strong staff this way. In fact, I think Oakland basically did just that, unless I'm wrong and several of their young arms are all massively high draft picks. And if a transcendent talent like Kershaw or Tanaka grows on your tree of shit, you just lock him up with stupid money that you have because you're rich and pray to Jesus Koresh that he doesn't get Mark Prior disease.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1363 on: July 07, 2014, 03:06:09 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 07, 2014, 03:00:02 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 02:50:26 PM

Also about the only thing the Cubs and Astros have in common is their both bad major league baseball teams. Even with all the bullshit the Cubs will generate a fuckload of revenue from their actual fan base which they have (unlike Houston) and all the other crap once they figure it out.

That too. That's another reason why I'm not sure why everyone seems so determined to see the Cubs immediately flip their assets for pitching. Unlike the A's or other small market teams they should be in the hunt for those few valuable starting pitchers who actually hit the market. There's no reason to give up prospects until they've tried building a contending rotation through FA first.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1364 on: July 07, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 02:40:53 PM

Wow. Wow.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"