News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,662 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #1365 on: July 07, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
Quote from: SKO on July 07, 2014, 03:06:09 PM
Quote from: Slaky on July 07, 2014, 03:00:02 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 02:50:26 PM
Also, that article does a good job highlighting that the Astros have basically just tanked and done very little else. The Cubs have aimed to get high picks, yes, but they've done a much, much better job of getting talent through trades and the IFA market (despite a couple painful misses there). It's hard enough to do any full-scale rebuild, but the Astros' way is even harder because it's been basically dependent on one thing.

Also about the only thing the Cubs and Astros have in common is their both bad major league baseball teams. Even with all the bullshit the Cubs will generate a fuckload of revenue from their actual fan base which they have (unlike Houston) and all the other crap once they figure it out.

That too. That's another reason why I'm not sure why everyone seems so determined to see the Cubs immediately flip their assets for pitching. Unlike the A's or other small market teams they should be in the hunt for those few valuable starting pitchers who actually hit the market. There's no reason to give up prospects until they've tried building a contending rotation through FA first.

Well I wonder if when they scream I HOPE CASTRO IS RENTING HERF DERF they're saying he'd be traded when one of Russel or Baez proves to be ready. But that doesn't make sense either. That's not how trades work. The ML trade markets are big in the offseason and leading up to July as teams fall out of contention.

You don't just trade Castro or anyone until you can identify a specific need AND you know that someone can fill in for Castro that will produce what he's producing.

In other words talking about trading anyone that actually has a future is fucking stupid. So fuck off with this trade Castro shit.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1366 on: July 07, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on July 07, 2014, 03:05:36 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 07, 2014, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 09:08:42 AM
Like SKO said, I'm comfortable with the Cubs just building a massive offense and then throwing shit at the wall for pitching every year.

And, then, if they feel set up to make a push, they can always make like the A's in the mid-season trade market.

Throwing shit at the wall, yes. But some of these pitchers they have don't suck. It's not unreasonable to build a strong staff this way. In fact, I think Oakland basically did just that, unless I'm wrong and several of their young arms are all massively high draft picks. And if a transcendent talent like Kershaw or Tanaka grows on your tree of shit, you just lock him up with stupid money that you have because you're rich and pray to Jesus Koresh that he doesn't get Mark Prior disease.

It's a mix.

Sonny Gray, Jarrod Parker, Scott Kazmir and Drew Pomeranz were all 1st round draft picks, but 2 of them were acquired via trade (and both Parker and Pomeranz are hurt.) Also, Pomeranz was basically a bust before he started turning it around for them this year.  

Kazmir's journey is well-documented, but basically flamed out at 25 before re-finding way, way post-hype success.
Samardzija was a 5th, but way overslot.  

So, you certainly can build a staff this way, but a lot of the A's guys were huge talents who made their way to the A's one way or another, through high picks (Gray), big trades (Parker, Samardzija) or reclamation projects  (Pomeranz, Kazmir.)

Even Hammel was a pretty big prospect back with the Rockies.

Jesse Chavez is basically the only one who wasn't targeted for greatness at one point or another.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1367 on: July 07, 2014, 03:28:07 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on July 07, 2014, 03:00:02 PM
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 02:50:26 PM
Also, that article does a good job highlighting that the Astros have basically just tanked and done very little else. The Cubs have aimed to get high picks, yes, but they've done a much, much better job of getting talent through trades and the IFA market (despite a couple painful misses there). It's hard enough to do any full-scale rebuild, but the Astros' way is even harder because it's been basically dependent on one thing.

Also about the only thing the Cubs and Astros have in common is their both bad major league baseball teams. Even with all the bullshit the Cubs will generate a fuckload of revenue from their actual fan base which they have (unlike Houston) and all the other crap once they figure it out.

Well, the Astros were counting on $80 million per year in TV revenue, about double what the Cubs get today.  A bankruptcy has interfered with that.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1368 on: July 07, 2014, 04:36:58 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on July 07, 2014, 03:26:03 PM
Like SKO said, I'm comfortable with the Cubs just building a massive offense and then throwing shit at the wall for pitching every year.

And, then, if they feel set up to make a push, they can always make like the A's in the mid-season trade market.

Throwing shit at the wall, yes. But some of these pitchers they have don't suck. It's not unreasonable to build a strong staff this way. In fact, I think Oakland basically did just that, unless I'm wrong and several of their young arms are all massively high draft picks. And if a transcendent talent like Kershaw or Tanaka grows on your tree of shit, you just lock him up with stupid money that you have because you're rich and pray to Jesus Koresh that he doesn't get Mark Prior disease.

It's a mix.

Sonny Gray, Jarrod Parker, Scott Kazmir and Drew Pomeranz were all 1st round draft picks, but 2 of them were acquired via trade (and both Parker and Pomeranz are hurt.) Also, Pomeranz was basically a bust before he started turning it around for them this year.  

Kazmir's journey is well-documented, but basically flamed out at 25 before re-finding way, way post-hype success.
Samardzija was a 5th, but way overslot.  

So, you certainly can build a staff this way, but a lot of the A's guys were huge talents who made their way to the A's one way or another, through high picks (Gray), big trades (Parker, Samardzija) or reclamation projects  (Pomeranz, Kazmir.)

Even Hammel was a pretty big prospect back with the Rockies.

Jesse Chavez is basically the only one who wasn't targeted for greatness at one point or another.

That's about what I figured. By massively high picks, I meant picks of theirs. Whatever they're doing is working.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1369 on: July 07, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
Quote from: Eli on July 07, 2014, 02:40:53 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on July 07, 2014, 02:32:31 PM
Good article on how the Cubs are doing a way better job of rebuilding than the Astros, and this doesn't take into account Aiken's broken elbow.

Related: As much hype as George Springer gets as the nNext Great Young Player, every time he steps to the plate he is 6 months OLDER than Starlin Castro. That's absolutely staggering.

I don't see how this is relevant since everybody knows that prospects don't peak until they're 29 year old AAA-ers.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1370 on: July 07, 2014, 11:02:29 PM »

Throwing shit at the wall, yes. But some of these pitchers they have don't suck. It's not unreasonable to build a strong staff this way.

I thought that was more or less what Eli meant when stating his comfort with the "throwing shit at the wall" strategy. At least that's how I read what he said.

Quote from: InternetApex on July 07, 2014, 03:05:36 PMIn fact, I think Oakland basically did just that, unless I'm wrong and several of their young arms are all massively high draft picks.

And this was kind of what I was driving at. Not to say that their strategy is perfectly identical to the Cubs'. Just that they seem to have done a bit of wall shit throwing of their own and, more to the point, that they haven't necessarily worried about making the blockbuster prospects-for-arms deal until they've found themselves with the best record in baseball at mid-season and are ready to make a calculated push in with those chips.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1371 on: July 08, 2014, 08:49:19 AM »
More good news. Jorge Soler went 3 for 4 with a double and HR. Just stay on the field.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1372 on: July 08, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 07, 2014, 11:02:29 PM

Throwing shit at the wall, yes. But some of these pitchers they have don't suck. It's not unreasonable to build a strong staff this way.

I thought that was more or less what Eli meant when stating his comfort with the "throwing shit at the wall" strategy. At least that's how I read what he said.

Right. I mean, I don't want them to literally throw shit at the wall to develop a pitching staff. That's just disgusting.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1373 on: July 08, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 08, 2014, 08:49:19 AM
More good news. Jorge Soler went 3 for 4 with a double and HR. Just stay on the field.

In early wagering, I'm putting my money on Soler to be better than all of them at this point.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1374 on: July 08, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on July 08, 2014, 09:13:25 AM

In early wagering, I'm putting my money on Soler to be better than all of them at this point.

I'm on the fence between Soler and Bryant as to who will be the best.  I also think Soler's contract and readiness makes him the most tradeable. 

That's really the next big thing to watch with Theo. He's never been shy about trading away young talent to acquire established talent.  The question is: from this huge crop he has, who stays and who goes?  There's no way that I see him keeping everyone.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1375 on: July 08, 2014, 09:34:38 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on July 08, 2014, 09:30:58 AM

I'm on the fence between Soler and Bryant as to who will be the best.  I also think Soler's contract and readiness makes him the most tradeable. 

That's really the next big thing to watch with Theo. He's never been shy about trading away young talent to acquire established talent.  The question is: from this huge crop he has, who stays and who goes?  There's no way that I see him keeping everyone.

Why not? You can start spending on FAs in the next 2 seasons, to supplement need. It's ok to have multiple good prospects, even if they play the same position.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1376 on: July 08, 2014, 09:40:11 AM »
Quote from: BH on July 08, 2014, 09:34:38 AM

Why not? You can start spending on FAs in the next 2 seasons, to supplement need. It's ok to have multiple good prospects, even if they play the same position.

At the very least I don't expect any of them to be traded soon until you have an idea of who will really be the best at the major league level.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1377 on: July 08, 2014, 09:43:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2014, 09:40:11 AM

At the very least I don't expect any of them to be traded soon until you have an idea of who will really be the best at the major league level.

And we'll finally get to trade for Brian Roberts.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1378 on: July 08, 2014, 09:44:55 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on July 08, 2014, 09:43:56 AM
Quote from: SKO on July 08, 2014, 09:40:11 AM

And we'll finally get to trade for Brian Roberts. Aaron Hill

IAN's mancrush from the mid-aughts'd.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1379 on: July 08, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »

So, Soler/Barney for Giancarlo? Make it hai!