News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,679 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2370 on: April 29, 2015, 09:02:10 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 29, 2015, 08:59:16 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2015, 08:56:38 AM
Although is there any reason to be concerned with Hamels start this year? I know he's gotten good results last few times out but he's walking guys at a higher rate than previous years (16 already in 5 starts) and he has surrendered 7 homers. His FIP is 5.56 vs. an ERA in the 3s. Just wondering if any more advanced metrics say if that's just early season bad luck/rough start or indicative of anything more troubling?

I think most of that comes from getting roughed up by Boston on Opening Day.

Alright. Make the trade then. Vogelbach, Lake, Hendricks, Almora, Castillo, Jason Dubois, Bobby Hill, and Roosevelt Brown for Cole Hamels. Phil Rogers says this is a +7 for the Phillies.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2371 on: April 29, 2015, 09:04:38 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2015, 09:02:10 AM
Quote from: Eli on April 29, 2015, 08:59:16 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2015, 08:56:38 AM
Although is there any reason to be concerned with Hamels start this year? I know he's gotten good results last few times out but he's walking guys at a higher rate than previous years (16 already in 5 starts) and he has surrendered 7 homers. His FIP is 5.56 vs. an ERA in the 3s. Just wondering if any more advanced metrics say if that's just early season bad luck/rough start or indicative of anything more troubling?

I think most of that comes from getting roughed up by Boston on Opening Day.

Alright. Make the trade then. Vogelbach, Lake, Hendricks, Almora, Castillo, Jason Dubois, Bobby Hill, and Roosevelt Brown for Cole Hamels. Phil Rogers says this is a +7 for the Phillies.

Fine. But if you trade Juan Cruz again, you and i are done.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2372 on: April 29, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 29, 2015, 08:42:36 AM
Quote from: PANK! on April 29, 2015, 08:36:00 AM
Now I really want to see Vogelbach run out to Left Field just to see Eli's head 'asplode.

My head wouldn't asplode because I'd be so excited to see what happened the first time they hit a ball anywhere near him.

I mostly just think this kind of message board stuff is amusing -- let's throw Vogelbach in left, Baez in center, Junior Lake in the bullpen, then trade Almora and Blake Parker for Cole Hamels.

This discussion was actually had on Twitter the other day, for further reading.

I like the person in that twitter thread who says "glad your a scout/gm for the Cubs." Because it's not like every trained scout to ever comment on Dan Vogelbach has said he probably isn't even good enough to stay at first.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2373 on: April 29, 2015, 09:32:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2015, 08:45:03 AM
From what I've the Phillies have asked for a near major league ready starting pitching prospect in every single conversation about Hamels. Frankly that's the one thing the Cubs don't seem to have, and guys closest to fitting that description in the minors are hurt.

Is CJ Edwards hurt?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2374 on: April 29, 2015, 09:34:19 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 29, 2015, 09:32:30 AM
From what I've the Phillies have asked for a near major league ready starting pitching prospect in every single conversation about Hamels. Frankly that's the one thing the Cubs don't seem to have, and guys closest to fitting that description in the minors are hurt.

Is CJ Edwards hurt?

He was hurt, and now he's in the bullpen, and he's not going to be a major league starter. Even if the Cubs have intention of easing him back into a starter role at some point, I somehow doubt "guy most people think is going to be a reliever, who is currently relieving, but might try starting later in the year after they think he's fully recovered from an injury, oh yeah he got hurt last year" is gonna be that appealing in a Cole Hamels trade.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2375 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2015, 09:34:19 AM

Is CJ Edwards hurt?

He was hurt, and now he's in the bullpen, and he's not going to be a major league starter.

They also asked for top Red Sox catching prospect Blake Swihart and Boston told them to get fucked in their own face. Which is the correct answer. Fuck Cole Hamels I'm sick of talking about him. I hope he turns into Oliver Perez. Literally.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2376 on: April 29, 2015, 09:45:18 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 29, 2015, 09:39:19 AM
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2015, 09:34:19 AM

Is CJ Edwards hurt?

He was hurt, and now he's in the bullpen, and he's not going to be a major league starter.

They also asked for top Red Sox catching prospect Blake Swihart and Boston told them to get fucked in their own face. Which is the correct answer. Fuck Cole Hamels I'm sick of talking about him. I hope he turns into Oliver Perez. Literally.

I'd be very surprised if the Cubs try to trade for Cole Hamels. I think their best option is to wait until the offseason to add a major free agent starter that will only cost them money and not prospects.

They are ahead of schedule on this prospects hitting Chicago thing, right? We didn't really expect this to happen until late in the year this year or early next year. I think the injuries to La Stella and Olt really accelerated things for Russell and Bryant, even though Bryant was likely to be here right about now, injuries notwithstanding.

In summary, I'm with Pex on Cole Hamels.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2377 on: April 29, 2015, 09:48:15 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on April 29, 2015, 09:45:18 AM
I'd be very surprised if the Cubs try to trade for Cole Hammels. I think their best option is to wait until the offseason to add a major free agent starter that will only cost them money and not prospects.

The Cubs have nearly one billion prospects. It's OK to let go.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2378 on: April 29, 2015, 09:50:27 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 29, 2015, 09:48:15 AM
I'd be very surprised if the Cubs try to trade for Cole Hammels. I think their best option is to wait until the offseason to add a major free agent starter that will only cost them money and not prospects.

If the asking price is a Swihart-level prospect or a starting pitcher not counted among your estimated one billion, it's not ok.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2379 on: April 29, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on April 29, 2015, 09:50:27 AM

If the asking price is a Swihart-level prospect or a starting pitcher not counted among your estimated one billion, it's not ok.

I wasn't speaking of Hamels, specifically. Just the general idea of waiting until the winter to improve the team so they can hoard every last possible prospect.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2380 on: April 29, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
Quote from: Eli on April 29, 2015, 09:53:31 AM

I wasn't speaking of Hamels, specifically. Just the general idea of waiting until the winter to improve the team so they can hoard every last possible prospect.

Then why did you respond to a comment about Hamels without saying you weren't talking about Hamels?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2381 on: April 29, 2015, 09:56:42 AM »
Don't lie to me, man. Just tell me why.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2382 on: April 29, 2015, 09:59:40 AM »

If the Phillies come to the Cubs and say they want Addison Russel or Kyle Schwarber, the Cubs should rightly and directly tell them to fuck their chili rings. Why give up Russell or Schwarber (I'm making assumptions here) when they can wait, keep them (because their more valuable than Cole Hamels I have to think) and have their pick of the litter in free agency next winter?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2383 on: April 29, 2015, 10:00:50 AM »

Yeah but if not Hamels, who? If the Hamels asking price is too great and the Cubs won't match the price, I don't see who would be available. Maybe if the Reds put Cueto on the block. But if you aren't trading for Hamels I'd rather not trade for any other pitcher when they could get a top tier starter just waiting a few months.

I mean so yeah, in the abstract, trading a few prospects is okay, but if it ain't getting you Hamels what's the point?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2384 on: April 29, 2015, 10:18:49 AM »
Quote from: SKO on April 29, 2015, 10:00:50 AM

Yeah but if not Hamels, who? If the Hamels asking price is too great and the Cubs won't match the price, I don't see who would be available. Maybe if the Reds put Cueto on the block. But if you aren't trading for Hamels I'd rather not trade for any other pitcher when they could get a top tier starter just waiting a few months.

I mean so yeah, in the abstract, trading a few prospects is okay, but if it ain't getting you Hamels what's the point?

DPD, but let's concede the Cubs need another top flight starter.

The options appear to be Hamels by trade or Cueto/Price/Zimmerman by free agency.

If the Cubs actually can't meet the price for Hamels because they lack a top tier starting pitching prospect and Philly is unimpressed with Kyle Hendricks or whatever, then I don't see who else they could trade for. If the Reds even decide to move on from Cueto at the deadline would they trade him within the division? I don't see the Tigers or Nats ending up sellers. So I mean yeah, dump a mid-tier prospect for a rental like the Cards did with Masterson last year if you need a #3 type by the deadline because one of Wood/Hammel/Hendricks isn't working out, but might as well wait till the offseason to really get a top-notch guy.