News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,724 )

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2445 on: May 05, 2015, 11:08:52 AM »
Gleyber Torres would easily be a top 10 pick if eligible for this year's draft. 

Any chance this guy makes the bigs before he turns 21?

Currently 18, playing in A ball, with a very real chance to be in A+ in the coming months. 

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2446 on: May 05, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 05, 2015, 11:08:52 AM

I realize this will sound weird coming from me, but what's the rush? He's got a BABIP of like .450 right now and there are still three levels between him and the majors. He's probably going to come back down to Earth at some point. I think his timeline will work itself out just fine.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2447 on: May 05, 2015, 11:18:42 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 05, 2015, 11:13:48 AM

I realize this will sound weird coming from me, but what's the rush? He's got a BABIP of like .450 right now and there are still three levels between him and the majors. He's probably going to come back down to Earth at some point. I think his timeline will work itself out just fine.

Because I want more good players on the Cubs? 

I think it's okay to be excited without that meaning "let's just rush him before he's ready." 

This dude is an awesome prospect - it's fun to speculate about how great he can be.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2448 on: May 05, 2015, 11:22:45 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 05, 2015, 11:18:42 AM

I think it's okay to be excited without that meaning "let's just rush him before he's ready." 

This dude is an awesome prospect - it's fun to speculate about how great he can be.

Are we talking Bryant/Schwarber levels of awesome? Serious question.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2449 on: May 05, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »

Whatever happened to the other main dude from that signing period, Eloy Jimenez? I assume he hasn't been as impressive as Gleyber but if they got two studs out of that sneak attack it would be gravy.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2450 on: May 05, 2015, 11:23:45 AM »

But you're talking about him being in the majors when he's 21, when he probably won't be very good. Russell is 21 and obviously isn't a world beater yet. And -- I know you're not going to like hearing this -- the scouting profile on Torres doesn't give him nearly the same upside and impact as Russell.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2451 on: May 05, 2015, 11:24:05 AM »
Quote from: R-V on May 05, 2015, 11:23:13 AM

Whatever happened to the other main dude from that signing period, Eloy Jimenez? I assume he hasn't been as impressive as Gleyber but if they got two studs out of that sneak attack it would be gravy.

He's a little behind, but shouldn't be far.

Expecting him to play in Eugene in short-season, come June.  

Carson Sands there too. Some other good prospects.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2452 on: May 05, 2015, 11:24:57 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 05, 2015, 11:22:45 AM

No. 

But those guys, particularly Bryant - that's (potentially) generational talent. 

Pretty unfair bar to set for anyone.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2453 on: May 05, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 05, 2015, 11:24:57 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on May 05, 2015, 11:22:45 AM

No. 

But those guys, particularly Bryant - that's (potentially) generational talent. 

Pretty unfair bar to set for anyone.

That's why I was asking....for a gage.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2454 on: May 05, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »
Quote from: Eli on May 05, 2015, 11:23:45 AM

But you're talking about him being in the majors when he's 21, when he probably won't be very good. Russell is 21 and obviously isn't a world beater yet. And -- I know you're not going to like hearing this -- the scouting profile on Torres doesn't give him nearly the same upside and impact as Russell.

Does Gleyber profile as like, the next Starlin? Because I would find it amusing to watch Starlin replace Starlin and have Chuck praise New Starlin for being so much better than Old Starlin.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2455 on: May 05, 2015, 11:36:04 AM »
Quote from: SKO on May 05, 2015, 11:32:24 AM
Does Gleyber profile as like, the next Starlin? Because I would find it amusing to watch Starlin replace Starlin and have Chuck praise New Starlin for being so much better than Old Starlin.

Maybe. They're both guys who don't have a ton of power or speed but can hit. Sounds like Torres may be more polished overall but doesn't have the same upside as a pure hitter that Starlin had.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2456 on: May 05, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »

The comps are few are far between. I saw one comparing him to Freddy Sanchez, but that was 2 years ago.  
And obviously fuck that.

Most reports are that he's athletic enough to stay at SS.  

Wouldn't be surprising if he was a top 5 organizational prospect by the time the next lists roll around.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2457 on: May 05, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 05, 2015, 11:38:18 AM

The comps are few are far between. I saw one comparing him to Freddy Sanchez, but that was 2 years ago.  
And obviously fuck that.

Wouldn't be surprising if he was a top 5 organizational prospect by the time the next lists roll around.

MLB.com:

QuoteScouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 45 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50
Signed for $1.7 million out of Venezuela as part of the Cubs' $8.2 million international signing spree in 2013, Torres was even better than advertised in his first year as a pro. He had no trouble making his U.S. debut at age 17 and easily handled a jump to the short-season Northwest League in August.

An extremely advanced hitter for his age, Torres has a quick, short right-handed stroke and handles the bat well. He uses the entire field and has good knowledge of the strike zone. He's not physically imposing but has some strength that could produce close to average power once he learns to turn on pitches more often.

Because he has just average speed and quickness, Torres may wind up at second base in the long run. But he looked better at shortstop than expected and his instincts may allow him to stay there. His strong arm will allow him to play anywhere in the infield.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2458 on: May 05, 2015, 11:44:46 AM »
And obviously fuck that.

Freddy Sanchez once hit .344 for an entire season with 53 doubles.

For the 88th time: Comps have nothing to do with career arcs.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2459 on: May 05, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on May 05, 2015, 11:42:16 AM

And obviously fuck that.

MLB.com:

QuoteScouting grades: Hit: 55 | Power: 45 | Run: 50 | Arm: 60 | Field: 50 | Overall: 50
Signed for $1.7 million out of Venezuela as part of the Cubs' $8.2 million international signing spree in 2013, Torres was even better than advertised in his first year as a pro. He had no trouble making his U.S. debut at age 17 and easily handled a jump to the short-season Northwest League in August.

An extremely advanced hitter for his age, Torres has a quick, short right-handed stroke and handles the bat well. He uses the entire field and has good knowledge of the strike zone. He's not physically imposing but has some strength that could produce close to average power once he learns to turn on pitches more often.

Because he has just average speed and quickness, Torres may wind up at second base in the long run. But he looked better at shortstop than expected and his instincts may allow him to stay there. His strong arm will allow him to play anywhere in the infield.

Well, since Addison Russell is already Barry Larkin, Gleyber is probably a slightly shorter Cal Ripken.