News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,653 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2910 on: October 29, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 29, 2015, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: R-V on October 29, 2015, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 29, 2015, 02:05:36 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 29, 2015, 01:58:50 PM
Quote from: Oleg on October 29, 2015, 12:30:52 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 28, 2015, 04:34:25 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 28, 2015, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 16, 2012, 08:06:15 AM

Jackson and Vitters are overmatched in Chicago, at least for now.

Baez, Soler and Almora are raking the ever loving shit out of A ball pitching.

Matt Szczur got moved up to AA, where he's still not showing good numbers, but they've been improving.

Dillon Maples is getting started in Arizona, and he's looking overpowering in a small sample size.

For those who actually get to see some of these guys in action, have at it.

Nice

There was a time Maples was rated a top prospect.

What a fucking dog show the minors used to be.

The best part of that top-10 list is reading about the new front office.

PROJECTED 2015 LINEUP
Catcher: Geovany Soto
First Base: Dan Vogelbach
Second Base: Zeke DeVoss
Third Base: Javier Baez
Shortstop: Starlin Castro
Left Field: Josh Vitters
Center Field: Matt Szczur
Right Field: Brett Jackson
No. 1 Starter: Matt Garza
No. 2 Starter: Andrew Cashner
No. 3 Starter: Trey McNutt
No. 4 Starter: Dillon Maples
No. 5 Starter: Dae-Eun Rhee
Closer: Carlos Marmol

Nailed it.

I wish there were an alternate universe where we could just see how many games that team would have won this year. Like, 40? Maybe?

I consider myself to be a pretty well-informed Cubs fan and I have no fucking clue who Zeke DeVoss is/was.

Same, I had heard of Dae-Eun Rhee and Trey McNutt, but knew nothing else about them and since this was the Hendry farm system I assumed they were 5'8" middle infielders.
I got all the rest of them, but who was that guy "Starlin Castro"?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2911 on: November 03, 2015, 05:10:51 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 29, 2015, 02:36:27 PM
Quote from: R-V on October 29, 2015, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: Eli on October 29, 2015, 02:05:36 PM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 29, 2015, 01:58:50 PM
Quote from: Oleg on October 29, 2015, 12:30:52 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 28, 2015, 04:34:25 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 28, 2015, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 16, 2012, 08:06:15 AM

Jackson and Vitters are overmatched in Chicago, at least for now.

Baez, Soler and Almora are raking the ever loving shit out of A ball pitching.

Matt Szczur got moved up to AA, where he's still not showing good numbers, but they've been improving.

Dillon Maples is getting started in Arizona, and he's looking overpowering in a small sample size.

For those who actually get to see some of these guys in action, have at it.

Nice

There was a time Maples was rated a top prospect.

What a fucking dog show the minors used to be.

The best part of that top-10 list is reading about the new front office.

PROJECTED 2015 LINEUP
Catcher: Geovany Soto
First Base: Dan Vogelbach
Second Base: Zeke DeVoss
Third Base: Javier Baez
Shortstop: Starlin Castro
Left Field: Josh Vitters
Center Field: Matt Szczur
Right Field: Brett Jackson
No. 1 Starter: Matt Garza
No. 2 Starter: Andrew Cashner
No. 3 Starter: Trey McNutt
No. 4 Starter: Dillon Maples
No. 5 Starter: Dae-Eun Rhee
Closer: Carlos Marmol

Nailed it.

I wish there were an alternate universe where we could just see how many games that team would have won this year. Like, 40? Maybe?

I consider myself to be a pretty well-informed Cubs fan and I have no fucking clue who Zeke DeVoss is/was.

Same, I had heard of Dae-Eun Rhee and Trey McNutt, but knew nothing else about them and since this was the Hendry farm system I assumed they were 5'8" middle infielders.

Thirded.

I don't even want to look him to try and refresh my memory.

I've quite literally never heard of him.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2912 on: November 16, 2015, 10:12:43 AM »
Couple things from this...

1) Did other people here know Ian Happ's dad just died 3 weeks ago?  That sucks.
2) I'm not exactly thrilled with Jed's "Jed Lowrie with more power" comp for Happ.  Doesn't Jed Lowrie suck?  Is Jed Hoyer just unconsciously more admirable of other people named Jed?  I have questions.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2913 on: November 16, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 16, 2015, 10:12:43 AM

1) Did other people here know Ian Happ's dad just died 3 weeks ago?  That sucks.
2) I'm not exactly thrilled with Jed's "Jed Lowrie with more power" comp for Happ.  Doesn't Jed Lowrie suck?  Is Jed Hoyer just unconsciously more admirable of other people named Jed?  I have questions.

At his best Jed Lowrie has been a 2-3.5 fWAR player for a couple of seasons (his biggest issue has been staying healthy, he's usually been pretty solid when he manages to play a full season). So Lowrie with more power would presumably be like a 3-4 win guy. Yeah I'd take that from 2B from a switch-hitter with good on base skills.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2914 on: November 16, 2015, 10:24:28 AM »

1) Did other people here know Ian Happ's dad just died 3 weeks ago?  That sucks.
2) I'm not exactly thrilled with Jed's "Jed Lowrie with more power" comp for Happ.  Doesn't Jed Lowrie suck?  Is Jed Hoyer just unconsciously more admirable of other people named Jed?  I have questions.

I know we've touched on number 2 before about other prospects.  At this point, Happ has fewer than 300 professional plate appearances at A-ball.  I know he's a college bat who should be pretty advanced but if he makes it to the majors at all, it's a win.  If he becomes a 2-win player like Lowrie, that's a nice player to have, albeit league average.  Certainly the hope is that he's better than that but at this point, if we can project a Lowrie career, that's not too bad.  Hopefully, the comps get better as he advances and hits the shit out of AA next year.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2915 on: November 16, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 16, 2015, 10:22:02 AM

1) Did other people here know Ian Happ's dad just died 3 weeks ago?  That sucks.
2) I'm not exactly thrilled with Jed's "Jed Lowrie with more power" comp for Happ.  Doesn't Jed Lowrie suck?  Is Jed Hoyer just unconsciously more admirable of other people named Jed?  I have questions.

At his best Jed Lowrie has been a 2-3.5 fWAR player for a couple of seasons (his biggest issue has been staying healthy, he's usually been pretty solid when he manages to play a full season). So Lowrie with more power would presumably be like a 3-4 win guy. Yeah I'd take that from 2B from a switch-hitter with good on base skills.

Great, another prospect you hope turns into an oft-injured underachiever.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2916 on: November 16, 2015, 11:16:42 AM »

Ian Happ is an outfielder.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2917 on: November 16, 2015, 11:17:22 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 16, 2015, 11:16:42 AM

He's both, for now. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2918 on: November 16, 2015, 11:26:01 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 16, 2015, 11:17:22 AM

He's both, for now. 

Yup, played both in college, played CF mostly in the minors this year, but took a lot of reps at 2B in instructional league this fall and lot of scouts seem to think that's his future.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2919 on: November 16, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 16, 2015, 11:26:01 AM

He's both, for now. 

Yup, played both in college, played CF mostly in the minors this year, but took a lot of reps at 2B in instructional league this fall and lot of scouts seem to think that's his future.

Yeah it seems like they're positioning him for 2B depth in the event that Baez and/or Castro don't work out/get dealt.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2920 on: November 16, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »

He's both, for now. 

He's multi-versatile.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2921 on: November 16, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on November 16, 2015, 11:33:39 AM

He's both, for now. 

Yeah it seems like they're positioning him for 2B depth in the event that Baez and/or Castro don't work out/get dealt.

With the fuckloads of shortstops they have in the system and the paucity of CFs, I'm surprised they aren't leveraging his actual competence at that position.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2922 on: November 16, 2015, 12:48:27 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 16, 2015, 12:36:46 PM
Quote from: PANK! on November 16, 2015, 11:33:39 AM

He's both, for now.  

With the fuckloads of shortstops they have in the system and the paucity of CFs, I'm surprised they aren't leveraging his actual competence at that position.

Depends on where you fall with regards to shortstops vis-a-vis centerfielders.  I think most would agree they're the two most significant positions, but I happen to think shortstop is more critical than centerfielder and it is more likely that you'll find a shortstop who can play center field than the other way around.  Robin Yount won an MVP in Centerfield 6 years after winning one at SS--I have a hard time picturing it happening in reverse.  

Perhaps more is riding on Almora than we would be comfortable with.  By all accounts, the guy is a smooth outfielder, and he only needs to improve his offensive production by about 10% in order for him to be acceptable with all of the other talent that would presumably be around him.  If not him, I have faith they can produce another.  I'll take a less-than-ideal centerfielder than a less-than-ideal shortstop (and thankfully, we already have close-to-ideal shortstop).

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2923 on: November 20, 2015, 02:36:22 PM »
40-man roster deadline tonight.

Pierce Johnson, Wilson Contreras, Dan Vogelbach, and some other interesting names.

Yep...I'm fucking bored at work today.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2924 on: November 20, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 20, 2015, 02:36:22 PM
40-man roster deadline tonight.

Pierce Johnson, Wilson Contreras, Dan Vogelbach, and some other interesting names.

Yep...I'm fucking bored at work today.

Are any of those close enough to MLB ready to be Rule 5 risks?
TIME TO POST!