News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread  ( 365,679 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Cubs' Prospects FUTUREBONER thread
« Reply #2970 on: March 14, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on March 14, 2016, 11:11:10 AM
Quote from: SKO on March 14, 2016, 11:00:37 AM
Quote from: PANK! on March 14, 2016, 10:50:15 AM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on March 14, 2016, 10:46:13 AM
Quote from: SKO on March 14, 2016, 10:37:18 AM
So, Jeimer Candelario looks good?

With Villanueva hurt, does he make the jump to Iowa? He and Almora have been in the Cubs' organization for what seems like long that it's easy to forget they'll both be only 22 this entire season.

There's no question about it.  The dude seems legit.

He's always had really good tools, but whatever it is it's all seemed to click for him since the middle of last year. Hopefully he can keep it up at Iowa because he should make a very attractive trade chip if he does. He's young, he's a switch-hitter, he's got power, and he's also the rare Cub prospect that doesn't K a lot. He's K'd just 16% of the time in the minors.

He's always been on the low end of age for whichever league he's been in. He's finally achieving grown-ass man status.

Yeah, from the numbers and what I've read it sounds like he kind of just used to make a lot of weak contact but as he got bigger and stronger he started driving the ball and some of those doubles started going over the fence.

I'm hoping for a similar development from Almora. His second half last year was encouraging.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2971 on: March 14, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »

With Villanueva hurt, does he make the jump to Iowa? He and Almora have been in the Cubs' organization for what seems like long that it's easy to forget they'll both be only 22 this entire season.

There's no question about it.  The dude seems legit.

He's always had really good tools, but whatever it is it's all seemed to click for him since the middle of last year. Hopefully he can keep it up at Iowa because he should make a very attractive trade chip if he does. He's young, he's a switch-hitter, he's got power, and he's also the rare Cub prospect that doesn't K a lot. He's K'd just 16% of the time in the minors.

He's always been on the low end of age for whichever league he's been in. He's finally achieving grown-ass man status.

Yeah he's got a good body type--compact, athletic looking.  And he's already hit the ball hard.  I enjoyed his first at-bat on Saturday  against that tomato can the Sox were hurling--Fowler and Heyward already reached (with Fowler scoring) and Candelario came up--as the no. 3 hitter--and immediately fell down 0-2.  But he worked the count full (did not even come close to offering at either of the two low-and-in breaking balls), hit a hard foul, and drew the walk.  The next time he dropped a double down the LF line.  Last night he went yard in the 1st inning.

I see no scenario where this kid plays any meaningful innings for the Cubs--and if he does it's bad news because it means Bryant's hurt--but he definitely looks like he could be an MLB starter, which makes him a nice chip.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2972 on: March 14, 2016, 11:23:29 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 14, 2016, 11:14:14 AM

Yeah, from the numbers and what I've read it sounds like he kind of just used to make a lot of weak contact but as he got bigger and stronger he started driving the ball and some of those doubles started going over the fence.

I'm hoping for a similar development from Almora. His second half last year was encouraging.

I think fans in Des Moines will get to watch some decent players this year with Candelario, Almora and Contreras.

Where's Ian Happ slated to man the keystone?  AA?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2973 on: March 14, 2016, 11:23:44 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 14, 2016, 11:21:25 AM

Yeah he's got a good body type--compact, athletic looking.  And he's already hit the ball hard.  I enjoyed his first at-bat on Saturday  against that tomato can the Sox were hurling--Fowler and Heyward already reached (with Fowler scoring) and Candelario came up--as the no. 3 hitter--and immediately fell down 0-2.  But he worked the count full (did not even come close to offering at either of the two low-and-in breaking balls), hit a hard foul, and drew the walk.  The next time he dropped a double down the LF line.  Last night he went yard in the 1st inning.

I see no scenario where this kid plays any meaningful innings for the Cubs--and if he does it's bad news because it means Bryant's hurt--but he definitely looks like he could be an MLB starter, which makes him a nice chip.

I think it's pretty reasonable to think he could be a Valbuena-type average starting third baseman (sorry Andy), but his ceiling is higher than that.

I like him more than Villanueva, whose major league floor is probably a halfway decent backup for a few years and who at best might have been able to put up the kind of numbers Valbuena has managed.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2974 on: March 14, 2016, 11:24:13 AM »
The last time I was impressed by a switch-hitting Cubs farmhand in spring training was Arismendy Alcantara, and we all know how that turned out. RIP.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2975 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:38 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 14, 2016, 11:23:29 AM

I think fans in Des Moines will get to some decent players with Candelario, Almora and Contreras this year.

Where's Ian Happ slated to man the keystone?  AA?

I could see him going back to South Bend for a bit, he only got like 30 games there last year. He's an advanced hitter but he doesn't seem like he's quite as advanced as Bryant and Schwarber were, and with Zobrist and Baez at the major league level it's not like the Cubs have any reason to rush him through like they did those two.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2976 on: March 14, 2016, 11:25:43 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 14, 2016, 11:24:13 AM
The last time I was impressed by a switch-hitting Cubs farmhand in spring training was Arismendy Alcantara, and we all know how that turned out. RIP.

What're you doing?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2977 on: March 14, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »

Well La Stella is dead again so Mendy may get his shot at redemption.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2978 on: March 14, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 14, 2016, 11:25:38 AM

I think fans in Des Moines will get to some decent players with Candelario, Almora and Contreras this year.

I could see him going back to South Bend for a bit, he only got like 30 games there last year. He's an advanced hitter but he doesn't seem like he's quite as advanced as Bryant and Schwarber were, and with Zobrist and Baez at the major league level it's not like the Cubs have any reason to rush him through like they did those two.

I mentioned on Slack that Happ would seem to slot in as Zobrist's replacement in a few years (if he pans out), to which Oleg pointed that it shouldn't take Happ 3 years to reach the bigs, which is true...but one of the side effects of developing a quality, deep farm system is that you can leave guys down longer, with the only risk being that they simply die on the vine (which wouldn't seem likely for any player that was really going to make it anyway).

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2979 on: March 14, 2016, 11:29:42 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 14, 2016, 11:26:18 AM

Well La Stella is dead again so Mendy may get his shot at redemption.

I don't think either of these guys makes the team FWIW.

Unless they feel that Shane Victorino is completely finished.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2980 on: March 14, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »

Especially since he's learning a brand new position. Besides, Bryant and Schwarber were absolute freaks in terms of how advanced they were, it's not fair comparing anybody to them.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2981 on: March 14, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on March 14, 2016, 11:28:39 AM

I mentioned on Slack that Happ would seem to slot in as Zobrist's replacement in a few years (if he pans out), to which Oleg pointed that it shouldn't take Happ 3 years to reach the bigs, which is true...but one of the side effects of developing a quality, deep farm system is that you can leave guys down longer, with the only risk being that they simply die on the vine (which wouldn't seem likely for any player that was really going to make it anyway).

That and it's really not the worst thing in the world if some guys break into the majors as backups for a little while. I mean I know service time and all that but I don't think they have to have a designated starting spot on day one for whatever prospects they bring up.

It's that kind of thinking that leads fans to immediately start speculating on trading the next 5 years of Jorge or whatever just because Dexter Fowler signed a bargain one year contract. I get wanting the young guys to play every day but lots of successful players started in timeshares to begin their careers.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2982 on: March 14, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »

So far Mendy's hitting the hell out of the fry cooks and Uber drivers he's been seeing in Spring Training. So...yay?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2983 on: March 14, 2016, 12:13:12 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on March 14, 2016, 11:43:22 AM

So far Mendy's hitting the hell out of the fry cooks and Uber drivers he's been seeing in Spring Training. So...yay?

I don't expect anything from Mendy but he's talented enough that I'd like to see him get a fair shot vs La Stella. I mean worst case scenario you know La Stella is probably a capable bench guy who can come in once a week, take a few walks, and play passable defense at second. He can be a 25th man or he can spend the summer in Iowa and barring injury to Zobrist or Baez or Bryant I don't think it makes a difference. Mendy could still be a switch-hitting middle infielder/center fielder that can hit 15+ home runs. That would look awfully damn good in a trade if he flashes at all in some MLB games this year.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2984 on: March 15, 2016, 01:29:05 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 14, 2016, 12:13:12 PM
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on March 14, 2016, 11:43:22 AM

I don't expect anything from Mendy but he's talented enough that I'd like to see him get a fair shot vs La Stella. I mean worst case scenario you know La Stella is probably a capable bench guy who can come in once a week, take a few walks, and play passable defense at second. He can be a 25th man or he can spend the summer in Iowa and barring injury to Zobrist or Baez or Bryant I don't think it makes a difference. Mendy could still be a switch-hitting middle infielder/center fielder that can hit 15+ home runs. That would look awfully damn good in a trade if he flashes at all in some MLB games this year.

I know it's not over for him, but Mendy was beyond bad last year. 

He's young enough, but that guy from last year barely has any business in AAA, let alone in the majors.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.