News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive  ( 102,126 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive
« Reply #660 on: September 28, 2010, 12:57:46 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on September 28, 2010, 12:21:09 PM
Quote from: fiveouts on September 28, 2010, 12:19:24 PM
I'm fucking amazed by the number of asshats who are still beating the "Lovie's decision to go for it on 4th and goal again is totally a indefensible mistake."  Aside from the fact that it (a) is backed up by a decent amount of statistical evidence, and (b) worked EXACTLY how it was supposed to work (defense holds inside the 10, GB forced to punt, minimum of great field position-in this case, a TD) seems to be lost on these meatheads who can't seem to get the ZOMG Lurvie sux! out of their heads.  

This. 

It wasn't close to the same situation as it was in the Detroit game when he went on 4th down.  I'm not a big fan of Lovie, but nothing wrong with that decision last night.

I have a problem with Dez White Clark's decision not to hold on the ball after it hit him in the hands. Was it a perfectly thrown ball? No. Would a professional tight end be expected to catch it say, 100 out of 100 times? Yes. Would I have caught it? Yes. Would I have shit my pants and lost the handle after getting blown up by the approaching defender and been paralyzed? Yes.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: September 28, 2010, 02:37:58 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 28, 2010, 12:57:46 PM
I'm fucking amazed by the number of asshats who are still beating the "Lovie's decision to go for it on 4th and goal again is totally a indefensible mistake."  Aside from the fact that it (a) is backed up by a decent amount of statistical evidence, and (b) worked EXACTLY how it was supposed to work (defense holds inside the 10, GB forced to punt, minimum of great field position-in this case, a TD) seems to be lost on these meatheads who can't seem to get the ZOMG Lurvie sux! out of their heads.  

This. 

It wasn't close to the same situation as it was in the Detroit game when he went on 4th down.  I'm not a big fan of Lovie, but nothing wrong with that decision last night.

I have a problem with Dez White Clark's decision not to hold on the ball after it hit him in the hands. Was it a perfectly thrown ball? No. Would a professional tight end be expected to catch it say, 100 out of 100 times? Yes. Would I have caught it? Yes. Would I have shit my pants and lost the handle after getting blown up by the approaching defender and been paralyzed? Yes.

My problem is still with the decision not to try a fucking quarterback sneak. They used to run it all the time with Grossman, the alleged 6'1'' quarterback who was at best 5'11 and a 1/2 and who was around 200 pound soaking wet, but not the 6'3'' 230 pound mobile QB with the long wingspan. But I didn't really have a problem with going for it. Hell, I didn't have a problem with going for it against Detroit. It's HOW they went for it that's fucking annoying. That said, yeah, fuck Dez for failing to make the catch, but moreso fuck ESPN for blaming Cutler for a bad throw. Little behind? Sure. Hit him in the hands? Yes. So that's on the asshole who dropped the ball.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: September 28, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2010, 02:37:58 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 28, 2010, 12:57:46 PM

This. 

My problem is still with the decision not to try a fucking quarterback sneak. They used to run it all the time with Grossman, the alleged 6'1'' quarterback who was at best 5'11 and a 1/2 and who was around 200 pound soaking wet, but not the 6'3'' 230 pound mobile QB with the long wingspan. But I didn't really have a problem with going for it. Hell, I didn't have a problem with going for it against Detroit. It's HOW they went for it that's fucking annoying. That said, yeah, fuck Dez for failing to make the catch, but moreso fuck ESPN for blaming Cutler for a bad throw. Little behind? Sure. Hit him in the hands? Yes. So that's on the asshole who dropped the ball.

Intrepid Reader: Don Banks

I'm marking that one as an almost interception.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: September 28, 2010, 02:42:24 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on September 28, 2010, 12:09:44 PM
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2010, 11:55:09 AM
Basically the point of the defense is this: quarterbacks that aren't as patient or as smart as Aaron Rodgers will eventually get tired of taking what the defense gives them and they will try to force the ball downfield. That's where the turnovers generally happen. It's why the system has traditionally been the biggest of Brett Favre's many Achilles' Heels. Even the good quarterbacks who are willing to keep checking it down will run into problems if the defensive line is able to get to them or if they have an incompletion or two or whatever. It limit's scoring opportunities. It's agonizing to watch when you do face a guy like Rodgers who seemingly keeps beating the shit out of your defense, but then you look up and he's only managed to score 17 points in a game. When you have a guy who isn't Aaron Rodgers, and when you start pressuring him, you see turnovers. Often in bunches. It's not working as well as it did in 2005 or up until Harris got hurt in 2006, but it's working better than it has since then. That, and their very good showing against the run, is enough to keep them in ball games.

No argument...I think we're agreeing for the most part.

I give the Bears a shit-ton of credit for playing a very solid defensive game.  And honestly, they key to all of this would probably be that the Packers struggled to get into 2nd and short because once again the Bears run defense was sick.  The Bears forced them to throw on 2nd down, which is huge if you can pretty much take the potential for a 2nd down run off the table.  They didn't produce a lot of devastating outcomes, but they made almost no mistakes and dominated the down and distance aspects that yield more opportunities to go down the field. 

If they do that against average Joe NFL QB, that gets a win 90% of the time.  My big point earlier, and after reading your post I expect we may generally agree...is that the handful of patient and skilled QB's can deal with that (and Rodgers himself did last night) and lead 15 play drives assuming the cast around said Stud QB isn't acting like a bunch of asshats. 

And yes, we do agree. Great quarterbacks will beat the Cover 2 if they have patience and a good supporting cast. Our only disagreement is my assertion that most of those penalties were caused by the offensive linemen clearly having trouble with Julius Peppers. The thing is that the last two years the Bears lacked A) A pass rush. B) A safety and last year C) a middle linebacker who can basically play like a safety over the middle of the field and defend against the pass. This year they appear to have all three again. Not as good as they had it in 2006, but good enough to contend again.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: September 28, 2010, 02:47:07 PM »
Look fuckers...we have a fucking 3-0 professional football team that plays its games outdoors.  I'm just going to go ahead and enjoy the best quarterback in the NFC North and best one in the conference taller than a common Oleg and the best defense in conference.  Fuck New Orleans.  Fuck Dallas.  Get out of the way, mother fuckers.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: September 28, 2010, 02:49:50 PM »
Here's all you need to know about the Bears. Keep in mind this is written by a true authority:

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-bears/2010/9/28/1716885/chicago-bears-schedule-top-five-games-giants-vikings-packers-bills-toronto

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: September 28, 2010, 02:56:07 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 28, 2010, 02:49:50 PM
Here's all you need to know about the Bears. Keep in mind this is written by a true authority:

http://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-bears/2010/9/28/1716885/chicago-bears-schedule-top-five-games-giants-vikings-packers-bills-toronto

I definitely would think a game against the Bills would be more important than a game against either the Patriots or Jets late in the season

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: September 28, 2010, 03:01:44 PM »

Quotethere should be considerable national interest in this international matchup

I must have missed Canada's annexation of Buffalo.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: September 28, 2010, 03:03:31 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on September 28, 2010, 02:56:07 PM

I definitely would think a game against the Bills would be more important than a game against either the Patriots or Jets late in the season

Of course, because there's a x3 multiplier attached to games played outside of the United States.  At least, I think that's the point Sir Dumbshit is trying to make.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: September 28, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »

Quote(we'll do this in a David Letterman-like countdown from five to one):

Is THAT where countdown lists come from?

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: September 28, 2010, 03:07:22 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 28, 2010, 03:04:08 PM

Quote(we'll do this in a David Letterman-like countdown from five to one):

Is THAT where countdown lists come from?

I was under the impression that they came from Keith Olbermann's vagina.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: September 28, 2010, 03:07:59 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 28, 2010, 02:47:07 PM
Look fuckers...we have a fucking 3-0 professional football team that plays its games outdoors.  I'm just going to go ahead and enjoy the best quarterback in the NFC North and best one in the conference taller than a common Oleg and the best defense in conference.  Fuck New Orleans.  Fuck Dallas.  Get out of the way, mother fuckers.

Fuck you, you overfed long haired leaping gnome.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: September 28, 2010, 03:09:42 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on September 28, 2010, 03:07:59 PM
Look fuckers...we have a fucking 3-0 professional football team that plays its games outdoors.  I'm just going to go ahead and enjoy the best quarterback in the NFC North and best one in the conference taller than a common Oleg and the best defense in conference.  Fuck New Orleans.  Fuck Dallas.  Get out of the way, mother fuckers.

He's got super short hair you know.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: September 28, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 28, 2010, 03:09:42 PM

The rest of it though...pretty accurate.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: September 28, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 28, 2010, 03:09:42 PM

Something something something.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck