News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 100,186 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #405 on: June 06, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 06, 2016, 12:57:45 PM
As much fun as this season is, I still find myself leaving the moment and thinking about next year, when Contreras, Almora and Schwarber get added to this squad.

That's a dumb thing to do. Don't anybody else do it.

This is the best Cubs team in any of our lifetimes. Drink in in every second.

I will give a less than zero percent chance that Almora is better or even remotely as good next year as Dexter Fowler has been this year. That is a dumb thing to look forward to. You are correct to say this is dumb.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #406 on: June 06, 2016, 01:43:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 06, 2016, 01:23:34 PM
As much fun as this season is, I still find myself leaving the moment and thinking about next year, when Contreras, Almora and Schwarber get added to this squad.

I will give a less than zero percent chance that Almora is better or even remotely as good next year as Dexter Fowler has been this year. That is a dumb thing to look forward to. You are correct to say this is dumb.

I'm taking for granted that Fowler is gone the second he wrings the champagne out of his hat. Almora is, at the very least, a high-plus glove with offensive potential. And he's cheap.

But thank you for pointing out that I think he's the Next Willie Mays.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #407 on: June 06, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »

The difference between Fowler's current pace and a reasonable projection for Almora is like a loss of 8 wins over a full season, so ... looking forward to that, too.

(ETA: I also know what Fork meant, but still.)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #408 on: June 06, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 06, 2016, 01:53:46 PM

The difference between Fowler's current pace and a reasonable projection for Almora is like a loss of 8 wins over a full season, so ... looking forward to that, too.

so they win 112 next year.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #409 on: June 06, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »

I get what he was saying, he's just wrong because he's Fork. The main reason he is wrong being that Fowler is the coolest and a small part of me would probably miss him even once they inevitably replace him with Mike Trout, the second reason being that Willson is most definitely pulling a 2007 Soto, kicking ass in September, and stealing the starting catcher gig by the time of the playoffs, where his balls will savage the gaps of the Washington/Los Angeles/San Francisco/Boston outfields as he racks up double after double.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #410 on: June 06, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 06, 2016, 02:01:51 PM

I get what he was saying, he's just wrong because he's Fork. The main reason he is wrong being that Fowler is the coolest and a small part of me would probably miss him even once they inevitably replace him with Mike Trout, the second reason being that Willson is most definitely pulling a 2007 Soto, kicking ass in September, and stealing the starting catcher gig by the time of the playoffs, where his balls will savage the gaps of the Washington/Los Angeles/San Francisco/Boston outfields as he racks up double after double.

I find it hard to believe that Eli actually believes that Fowler finishes the year with 9-9.5 WAR.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #411 on: June 06, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »

Truth is, after the Cubs win it all in October everyone on this team will have pieces of all of our hearts in varying sizes. Shit, Clayton Richard will never have to buy a drink in this town for the rest of his life.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #412 on: June 06, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to more of Fork's instructions over the rest of the season on how to follow, root for, and think about the Cubs. I need all the help I can get.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #413 on: June 06, 2016, 03:18:49 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 06, 2016, 02:24:03 PM

I find it hard to believe that Eli actually believes that Fowler finishes the year with 9-9.5 WAR.

I read it as Fowler would be worth 5.5 to 6 WAR whereas Almora would be -2.5.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #414 on: June 06, 2016, 03:26:27 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 06, 2016, 03:18:49 PM

Either way, everyone is right that putting Almora in as the everyday CF next year is dumb for many reasons including Schwarber-Heyward-Soler.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #415 on: June 06, 2016, 03:30:37 PM »

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #416 on: June 06, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 06, 2016, 03:18:49 PM

Now that I look at it again, I read it as Fowler will be worth 15 WAR this year while Almora would be 7.

PROVE ME WRONG!

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #417 on: June 06, 2016, 03:54:04 PM »
I am enjoying all this debate about a guy who's got about 4 weeks left in the Cubs system.

Say, anybody know how Almora's WAR stacks up against Andrew Miller's?

Seems to me that the three pillars of this here newly-minted 2017 Cubs Splooge Thread oughta be (the aforementioned Willson, the Return of the Schwar Machine, and perhaps more than anything else...) Every Day Javy.

But then, I suppose Every Day Javy might be an actual thing even before Almora not being a Cub anymore becomes a thing.
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #418 on: June 06, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 06, 2016, 03:54:04 PM
I am enjoying all this debate about a guy who's got about 4 weeks left in the Cubs system.

Seems to me that the three pillars of this here newly-minted 2017 Cubs Splooge Thread oughta be (the aforementioned Willson, the Return of the Schwar Machine, and perhaps more than anything else...) Every Day Javy.

But then, I suppose Every Day Javy might be an actual thing even before Almora not being a Cub anymore becomes a thing.

The Yankees have no interest in Almora. They've got a fortune sunk into their outfield.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #419 on: June 06, 2016, 04:25:34 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 06, 2016, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 06, 2016, 03:54:04 PM

The Yankees have no interest in Almora. They've got a fortune sunk into their outfield.

Scout Fork is now GM Fork. Because yeah the response to having bad expensive old outfielders certainly wouldn't be "replace them with cheap young outfielders" and the Yankees aren't a franchise with the money to pay guys to not play for them. No way.