News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE  ( 99,900 )

WTB...A RING FFS!!

• CUP CHAMPS!!!
  • Hank White Fan Club
Re: The 2016 Cubs: SPLOOGE SPLOOGE SPLOOGE
« Reply #420 on: June 06, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »
The great thing about this team and the great start's that hopefully they play even .667 til the break and have no other big injuries. That way we will only have to get maybe  1-2 minor upgrades at the deadline, and not give up shit. We need to have all the same big names in our minors to keep splooging over their future hall-of-fame careers for the next few yrs.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: June 06, 2016, 07:02:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on June 06, 2016, 04:25:34 PM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 06, 2016, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: Grandmaster Wang on June 06, 2016, 03:54:04 PM
I am enjoying all this debate about a guy who's got about 4 weeks left in the Cubs system.

Say, anybody know how Almora's WAR stacks up against Andrew Miller's?

Seems to me that the three pillars of this here newly-minted 2017 Cubs Splooge Thread oughta be (the aforementioned Willson, the Return of the Schwar Machine, and perhaps more than anything else...) Every Day Javy.

But then, I suppose Every Day Javy might be an actual thing even before Almora not being a Cub anymore becomes a thing.

The Yankees have no interest in Almora. They've got a fortune sunk into their outfield.

Scout Fork is now GM Fork. Because yeah the response to having bad expensive old outfielders certainly wouldn't be "replace them with cheap young outfielders" and the Yankees aren't a franchise with the money to pay guys to not play for them. No way.

Maybe they can trade one of those outfielders for Matt Harvey.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #422 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:29 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 06, 2016, 12:57:45 PM
As much fun as this season is, I still find myself leaving the moment and thinking about next year, when Contreras, Almora and Schwarber get added to this squad.

That's a dumb thing to do. Don't anybody else do it.

This is the best Cubs team in any of our lifetimes. Drink in in every second.
Speak for yourself
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #423 on: June 07, 2016, 04:07:56 AM »
The Cubs' X_WL is 43-13.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: June 07, 2016, 08:23:49 AM »
I am enjoying all this debate about a guy who's got about 4 weeks left in the Cubs system.

Seems to me that the three pillars of this here newly-minted 2017 Cubs Splooge Thread oughta be (the aforementioned Willson, the Return of the Schwar Machine, and perhaps more than anything else...) Every Day Javy.

But then, I suppose Every Day Javy might be an actual thing even before Almora not being a Cub anymore becomes a thing.

The Yankees have no interest in Almora. They've got a fortune sunk into their outfield.

Scout Fork is now GM Fork. Because yeah the response to having bad expensive old outfielders certainly wouldn't be "replace them with cheap young outfielders" and the Yankees aren't a franchise with the money to pay guys to not play for them. No way.

If they're shopping in the Cubs farm system, do you seriously think Almora is anywhere on their list? If he is, he's after Contreras, Underwood, Blackburn and Torres at the very least.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #425 on: June 07, 2016, 08:27:42 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 07, 2016, 08:23:49 AM

If they're shopping in the Cubs farm system, do you seriously think Almora is anywhere on their list? If he is, he's after Contreras, Underwood, Blackburn and Torres at the very least.

I think if Almora is better than whatever they have in the pipeline in CF then yes, they're probably looking at him. That is how this works
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #426 on: June 07, 2016, 08:31:28 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 07, 2016, 08:27:42 AM

I think if Almora is better than whatever they have in the pipeline in CF then yes, they're probably looking at him. That is how this works

If we're going by what the Yankees have in their pipeline, then shit, send them Murton.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #427 on: June 07, 2016, 09:23:49 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 07, 2016, 08:31:28 AM

If we're going by what the Yankees have in their pipeline, then shit, send them Murton.

I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #428 on: June 07, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 07, 2016, 09:23:49 AM

Basically if Theo calls about Miller, and he offers Almora, a top 100 prospect with a  first round pedigree and gold glove caliber defense in CF and who is currently hitting well at AAA, Brian Cashman is going to call up Fork and say "well, Frank, we really need a center fielder in the system, but you say Almora isn't one of your arbitrary top 5 prospects in the Cubs system? Fuck that, then".
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #429 on: June 07, 2016, 09:30:18 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 07, 2016, 09:25:26 AM

Basically if Theo calls about Miller, and he offers Almora, a top 100 prospect with a  first round pedigree and gold glove caliber defense in CF and who is currently hitting well at AAA, Brian Cashman is going to call up Fork and say "well, Frank, we really need a center fielder in the system, but you say Almora isn't one of your arbitrary top 5 prospects in the Cubs system? Fuck that, then".

The Yankees have already traded for a gold-glove caliber CF with a 1st round pedigree in the last 7 months.  Now, why that would preclude them from trading for another one is beyond me.  I'm not convinced that's what Fork is talking about, though.  I have no idea.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #430 on: June 07, 2016, 09:35:39 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on June 07, 2016, 09:30:18 AM

The Yankees have already traded for a gold-glove caliber CF with a 1st round pedigree in the last 7 months.  Now, why that would preclude them from trading for another one is beyond me.  I'm not convinced that's what Fork is talking about, though.  I have no idea.

They've got something the Cubs need, and the Cubs have very deep pockets, prospect-wise. Why trade for Almora when they are ass-deep in outfielders? As stated, they have Hicks, who is basically Almora anyway, and their top prospect is Judge, another outfielder.
TIME TO POST!

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #431 on: June 07, 2016, 09:39:53 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 07, 2016, 09:35:39 AM

They've got something the Cubs need, and the Cubs have very deep pockets, prospect-wise. Why trade for Almora when they are ass-deep in outfielders? As stated, they have Hicks, who is basically Almora anyway, and their top prospect is Judge, another outfielder.

There's also the possibility of the ever-popular THREE TEAM DEAL(!!!) or something.
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #432 on: June 07, 2016, 09:47:26 AM »

The Yankees have already traded for a gold-glove caliber CF with a 1st round pedigree in the last 7 months.  Now, why that would preclude them from trading for another one is beyond me.  I'm not convinced that's what Fork is talking about, though.  I have no idea.

Aaron Hicks is 26 and bad. He is not likely to be a factor in any decisions they make while trying to build the next great Yankee team. That'd be like Theo banking on Junior Lake or something. Carlos Beltran is 39 and in the last year of his contract. Gardner is 32, rapidly declining, and they're only on the hook for him for 2 more years, Ellsbury is 32 and has been hurt and bad for most of his contract. Judge has hit .229/.303/.390/.692 in 498 AAA plate appearances.

The Yankees are not at all deep in the outfield. They are old, oft injured, and lacking in any kind of youthful talent that appears even close contributing at the major league level. Almora is still a top 100 prospect. I'm pretty sure only one top 100 prospect was moved at all last year when David Price and others were on the market. Almora is a pretty valuable trade chip, and the Yankees would be downright dumb not to consider him as a big part of any trade for a reliever, however good that reliever is. For all that we've been down on Almora there are not many teams in the majors that have expendable guys of his caliber in their system. Hell the White Sox are hoarding Tim Anderson and I'm not sure he'd have been even the third best shortstop in the Cubs system last year.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #433 on: June 07, 2016, 09:49:51 AM »

I guess I just feel that GMs tend to get the best players possible in any trade they make, position be damned.  If The Yankees feel that Almora is better than whatever other players the Cubs offer, I don't think their "depth" of OFers is going to stand in the way.

Position depth (MI) didn't keep Epstink from trading for Russell or signing Jiminez and Torres or drafting Happ.

I mean, I kind of hope they don't give up Almora but whatever.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #434 on: June 07, 2016, 09:54:09 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 07, 2016, 09:47:26 AM

Almora is still a top 100 prospect. I'm pretty sure only one top 100 prospect was moved at all last year when David Price and others were on the market. Almora is a pretty valuable trade chip, and the Yankees would be downright dumb not to consider him as a big part of any trade for a reliever, however good that reliever is. For all that we've been down on Almora there are not many teams in the majors that have expendable guys of his caliber in their system. Hell the White Sox are hoarding Tim Anderson and I'm not sure he'd have been even the third best shortstop in the Cubs system last year.

I think The Blue Jays traded two top-100 prospects...Hoffman and Norris.

To belabor the point even more, if The White Sox offered up Tim Anderson for Justin Grimm (or whoever The Cubs deemed was worth it), I wouldn't care how many SS/MI were in the system, I'd take him.