News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross  ( 99,661 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2015 Cubs Offseason: Building a Winner Around David Ross
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2015, 07:57:09 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 23, 2015, 07:51:23 AM
I'd rather they grab an established pitcher via free agency, trade for a respectable, young #3 pitcher (who still has the potential to blossom in to a top end starter) and maybe take a risk by grabbing a scrap-heap pitcher who may or may not make it with the team.

Equally important, how do they improve the bullpen next year? Presumably with trades?

Maybe? Their bullpen was pretty damn good this year, I'm not sure why the perception seems to be that they weren't. With the necessary caveat that bullpens are unpredictable I would still expect them to have a damn good one built around Rondon, Strop, Grimm, and hopefully a healthy Ramirez. I assume they'll also keep Travis Wood, who was pretty good in the pen as well.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2015, 08:27:52 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 23, 2015, 07:57:09 AM
I'd rather they grab an established pitcher via free agency, trade for a respectable, young #3 pitcher (who still has the potential to blossom in to a top end starter) and maybe take a risk by grabbing a scrap-heap pitcher who may or may not make it with the team.

Equally important, how do they improve the bullpen next year? Presumably with trades?

Maybe? Their bullpen was pretty damn good this year, I'm not sure why the perception seems to be that they weren't. With the necessary caveat that bullpens are unpredictable I would still expect them to have a damn good one built around Rondon, Strop, Grimm, and hopefully a healthy Ramirez. I assume they'll also keep Travis Wood, who was pretty good in the pen as well.

Plus, Edwards getting some 7th innings.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2015, 08:31:20 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 23, 2015, 08:27:52 AM

Maybe. I don't think he's shown enough control to be counted on yet, and I don't think Theo will pencil him in for anything. Whatever he provides will be a bonus.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2015, 08:32:55 AM »

Wood is Arb 3 this year.  Could be too expensive for what he will bring.  He's a non-tender candidate.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2015, 08:35:41 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 23, 2015, 08:32:55 AM

Wood is Arb 3 this year.  Could be too expensive for what he will bring.  He's a non-tender candidate.

Then I would add left handed reliever who can actually strike people out (sorry Clayton Richard) to the wish list.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »

Hell, grab Bronson Arroyo if the Dodgers don't retain him.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2015, 08:54:40 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 23, 2015, 08:31:20 AM

Maybe. I don't think he's shown enough control to be counted on yet, and I don't think Theo will pencil him in for anything. Whatever he provides will be a bonus.

I think this year's team has proven that as long as you have a wizard for a pitching coach, you can cobble together one of the best bullpens in the league from the scrap heap.  Knowing where Epstink needs to use his limited resources to become a dominant force, I'd say that's a pretty good plan for the 2016 bullpen.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2015, 08:57:12 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 23, 2015, 08:54:40 AM

I think this year's team has proven that as long as you have a wizard for a pitching coach, you can cobble together one of the best bullpens in the league from the scrap heap.  Knowing where Epstink needs to use his limited resources to become a dominant force, I'd say that's a pretty good plan for the 2016 bullpen.

Yeah whatever they do about the bullpen it won't be expensive. I think Theo knows it doesn't that overpaying relievers is rarely a sound strategy (*stares at Rick Hahn*).

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 23, 2015, 08:57:12 AM

Yeah whatever they do about the bullpen it won't be expensive. I think Theo knows it doesn't that overpaying relievers is rarely a sound strategy (*stares at Rick Hahn*).

Seriously.  $17MM (or whatever) to Duke and Robertson last year.  Man, that's special.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2015, 09:03:08 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 23, 2015, 08:59:46 AM

Seriously.  $17MM (or whatever) to Duke and Robertson last year.  Man, that's special.

And Robertson wasn't even bad (although he blew a higher number of saves than his numbers would indicate he probably should have. My guess is luck/sequencing issues), but that's just too much damn money for a closer, and having that much money tied up in the pen might make it harder for them to do stuff like eat the money they paid Adam LaRoche and find a designated hitter who can actually fucking hit.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2015, 09:06:16 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 23, 2015, 08:42:32 AM

Hell, grab Bronson Arroyo if the Dodgers don't retain him.

DON'T GET MY HOPES UP

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2015, 10:32:55 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 23, 2015, 09:03:08 AM

And Robertson wasn't even bad (although he blew a higher number of saves than his numbers would indicate he probably should have. My guess is luck/sequencing issues), but that's just too much damn money for a closer, and having that much money tied up in the pen might make it harder for them to do stuff like eat the money they paid Adam LaRoche and find a designated hitter who can actually fucking hit.

So if San Diego is shopping Kimbrel around, Theo should pass?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2015, 10:36:22 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on October 23, 2015, 10:32:55 AM

Depends on how much money he's got to spend? I mean you can overpay relievers if you have unlimited funds like the Dodgers or Red Sox or Yankees and hopefully these Cubs eventually. But if he's got a finite amount of money to work with I wouldn't want Kimbrel if that money keeps us from outbidding someone for Price or whatever.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2015, 10:37:31 AM »

If they're asking for tier 1 prospects (all of this years rookies and Baez as well as Torres/Jiminez/Happ (even Almora possibly)) then I'd say no.  Rondon blew a few games but he seemed about as effective as anyone in the league.  Even when I was worried about the bad spells of Grimm and Strop, I felt good about Rondon.

Now if it'd only take the type of flotsam that netted Montero and Fowler (sorry, Andy) then I'd say go for it.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »

Yes.