News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Peter King's MMQB  ( 67,138 )

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Peter King's MMQB
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2007, 09:46:48 AM »
Quote from: TG on January 08, 2007, 09:23:14 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/01/07/playoffs/index.html

King's most predictable garbage of the year; he blows Tom Brady and Belichick lovingly (says Brady is the best quarterback we'll ever see), he ranks the Bears all the way down at No, 6, and he makes excuses for Tony Romo.

QuoteBut did you see the ball that was snapped to Tony Romo on the botched field-goal hold? Looked very shiny, perhaps slippery. It was one of the "K'' balls. Each game, 12 balls used only for special teams plays are kept on the sidelines, and when there's a punt or a kickoff or a placekick, one of those 12 balls is put into play. The ball came back to Romo on a good snap, and as he transferred the ball in his hands to put it down for the kick, it slipped from his grip. Wish I had a chance to ask him about it after the game. The way it slipped made the ball look like some of the waxy sheen was still on it from having just come out of the box.

Awful.  If you want to play the Mariotti game with Peter King, simply read his articles until you get to the phrase "I spent some time with" and then stop, as what follows will be some sort of written hand job for whoever it was he spent time with.  Nobody gets Stockholm Syndrome quicker than Peter King.

I've already heard the "slick ball" defense on the radio this morning.  Jerry Jones is asking the league to look into it.  It's stupid.  I hate all things Cowboys, and I'm sick of the Romo hype, but the kid stood up and took the blame for the loss, so just let it go.  You can't change the outcome of the game, so there's no point in overshadowing and undermining a character move by your young QB.  And if you've got to shift blame, then blame Gramatica for not getting in the way of the guy who made the tackle.  
If we're so fucking superior, why are we working here?

JD, Too

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2007, 09:50:35 AM »
AND he mentions Brett Farver's WIFE!

QuoteTynes doinked a weather-less chip shot off the upright that the former Deanna Tynes (now Deanna Favre) could have made blindfolded.

I think Brett Farvah has a stalker.
"Ad hominem attacks, and childish ones at that, do not an argument make."----- IT

JS

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »
Quote from: JD, Too on January 08, 2007, 09:50:35 AM
AND he mentions Brett Farver's WIFE!

QuoteTynes doinked a weather-less chip shot off the upright that the former Deanna Tynes (now Deanna Favre) could have made blindfolded.

I think Brett Farvah has a stalker.

Nice find. I was worried for a moment that Mrs. Romo forgot to mention anything about Favruh.

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2007, 10:07:36 AM »
Also, did anyone else notice that Belichek cut the sleeves on his hoodie to make is short-sleeved?  What the hell is that about?

Huey

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2007, 10:12:52 AM »
Quote from: CPT on January 08, 2007, 09:46:48 AM
 And if you've got to shift blame, then blame Gramatica for not getting in the way of the guy who made the tackle.  

Somewhere, the 6'5", 218 lb Mike Vanderjagt nurses a bottle of Canadian Club and smiles.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2007, 10:25:08 AM »
Why doesn't Peter King investigate the ball that Terry Glenn couldn't hold onto? You want the Alex Gonzalez to Tony Romo's Steve Bartman, the Bob Stanley to Tony Romo's Bill Buckner? That's Terry Glenn. And Bill Parcells is John McNamara and Dusty Baker for calling that play so close to the goal line.

Oh, I watched a little bit of the press conference. Parcells asked about the ball. He said it was a normal game ball, not a "K" ball.

James Westfall

• Sex Panther from Odeon
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2007, 10:34:14 AM »
I feel bad for Romo in the fact that it's a fluke thing that will probably never happen to him again.  The snap was ok, he caught it ok, it just slipped out of his hand.  Mistakes happen.  This one just happened at a bad time. 

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2007, 10:36:56 AM »
Quote from: Huey on January 08, 2007, 10:12:52 AM
Quote from: CPT on January 08, 2007, 09:46:48 AM
 And if you've got to shift blame, then blame Gramatica for not getting in the way of the guy who made the tackle.  

Somewhere, the 6'5", 218 lb Mike Vanderjagt nurses a bottle of Canadian Club and smiles.

Intrepid Reader: Peyton Manning

Stupid liquored up kicker.

Huey

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2007, 10:41:52 AM »
Quote from: James Westfall on January 08, 2007, 10:34:14 AM
I feel bad for Romo in the fact that it's a fluke thing that will probably never happen to him again. The snap was ok, he caught it ok, it just slipped out of his hand. Mistakes happen. This one just happened at a bad time.

Ditto.  I kinda feel sorry for him, too.  I like Romo, although not in the Peter King "biblical" sense.  I feel a special affinity for EIU since Charleston was always my favorite place to road trip when I was at Northern.

I also like Brett Favre, even though he's spent 15 years kicking us in the nuts.

But the naked adoration that guys like King heap on these guys is embarrassing.  For them.   If King weren't so in love with his subjects he, too, would feel embarrassed for himself.

JD, Too

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2007, 10:48:20 AM »
Quote from: Huey on January 08, 2007, 10:41:52 AM
Quote from: James Westfall on January 08, 2007, 10:34:14 AM
I feel bad for Romo in the fact that it's a fluke thing that will probably never happen to him again. The snap was ok, he caught it ok, it just slipped out of his hand. Mistakes happen. This one just happened at a bad time.

Ditto.  I kinda feel sorry for him, too.  I like Romo, although not in the Peter King "biblical" sense.  I feel a special affinity for EIU since Charleston was always my favorite place to road trip when I was at Northern.

I also like Brett Favre, even though he's spent 15 years kicking us in the nuts.

But the naked adoration that guys like King heap on these guys is embarrassing.  For them.   If King weren't so in love with his subjects he, too, would feel embarrassed for himself.

I agree.  My best friend's wife is a huge Farvah fan.  I like to get into it with her about Farvah nowadays and she gets very emotional.  She has the same "he's got no help/he's trying to do it all" arguments that every other Farvah apologist has.  One day she asked me why I hated Farvah so much and I told her that I didn't hate Farvah.  I hate all of his apologists.  I'm talking about the sportswriters and announcers that are supposed to be neutral, not the fans.  The only fans that I hate are Cardinal and Cowboy fans.
"Ad hominem attacks, and childish ones at that, do not an argument make."----- IT

lomez

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2007, 10:52:52 AM »
What is with King's section on Darrent Williams?  Why do all journalists have to shoe-horn themselves into every freaking story.   A football player was killed and somehow King decides that the right way to memorialize him is to dust off some piece that he wrote about him that apparently serves no purpose but to prove that King knew him before and in a way that none of us did.  

He also chooses to opine: "I think the Broncos did the right thing in chartering a big plane and attending en masse the funeral for Darrent Williams Saturday in Texas".  Why is of any consequence to anyone that Peter "moral-compass" King thought that it was the right thing to do?  What an ass.

Open Letter to Peter King:  Please stop complaining in your columns about hotels that charge extra for gym usage.  Hotels charge you extra for using the gym so the rest of us non-morbidly obese travelers do not have to foot the cost of your guilt-ridden 1 mile walk on a treadmill necessitated by your inability to resist eating ham-stuffed hams on a daily basis.

TG

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2007, 11:05:31 AM »
Quote from: lomez on January 08, 2007, 10:52:52 AM
He also chooses to opine: "I think the Broncos did the right thing in chartering a big plane and attending en masse the funeral for Darrent Williams Saturday in Texas".  Why is of any consequence to anyone that Peter "moral-compass" King thought that it was the right thing to do?  What an ass.

I also noticed that.  What were their other options?  Not go to the funeral?

JD, Too

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2007, 11:10:40 AM »
Quote from: TG on January 08, 2007, 11:05:31 AM
He also chooses to opine: "I think the Broncos did the right thing in chartering a big plane and attending en masse the funeral for Darrent Williams Saturday in Texas".  Why is of any consequence to anyone that Peter "moral-compass" King thought that it was the right thing to do?  What an ass.

Ahhh...see?  I skipped over that part. 

Probably because I'm a racist or something.

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2007, 11:16:06 AM »

They could have rented limos and driven there, but it's probably too soon for that.

James Westfall

• Sex Panther from Odeon
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2007, 11:25:43 AM »
Quote from: CPT on January 08, 2007, 11:16:06 AM

They could have rented limos and driven there, but it's probably too soon for that.

That's outstanding work.  All I could come up with was renting a small plane.....