News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,844 )

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #825 on: October 23, 2008, 07:03:40 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on October 22, 2008, 07:17:33 PM
I figure this may have been covered somewhere at some point in time but a friend of mine at work showed me a way to get around the filters that can prevent effectively being able to youtube it... or even redtube it. http://www.headproxy.com/ I'm not sure of the security of this site but it seems to work fine. Just type the address you want and it navigates through via Head proxy. Hope this helps to encourage the JOing at work.

The corporate fascists at my firm are at least one step ahead... if they can filter the JO sites they can filter the proxy sites too, and that's exactly what they've done.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #826 on: October 23, 2008, 08:00:11 AM »
Quote from: Bogs on October 23, 2008, 07:03:40 AM
I figure this may have been covered somewhere at some point in time but a friend of mine at work showed me a way to get around the filters that can prevent effectively being able to youtube it... or even redtube it. http://www.headproxy.com/ I'm not sure of the security of this site but it seems to work fine. Just type the address you want and it navigates through via Head proxy. Hope this helps to encourage the JOing at work.

The corporate fascists at my firm are at least one step ahead... if they can filter the JO sites they can filter the proxy sites too, and that's exactly what they've done.

Proxy sites are poison to a corporate environment. No security out, but also no security in.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #827 on: October 23, 2008, 08:17:34 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 23, 2008, 08:00:11 AM
Quote from: Bogs on October 23, 2008, 07:03:40 AM

Proxy sites are poison to a corporate environment. No security out, but also no security in.

Yep, these are also blocked at work along with the sites I'd love to access to cull my boredom.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #828 on: October 23, 2008, 08:45:11 AM »
For every Proxy site they block, there are two new ones popping up somewhere - keep trying, you'll find one you can use eventually.  The only problem I find with them is that I can't stream video or use flash, or anything like that.  If you want to read text, or (ahem) look at pictures, that's fine - anything more than that, though, is a waste of time.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #829 on: October 23, 2008, 12:34:47 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on October 23, 2008, 08:45:11 AM
For every Proxy site they block, there are two new ones popping up somewhere - keep trying, you'll find one you can use eventually.  The only problem I find with them is that I can't stream video or use flash, or anything like that.  If you want to read text, or (ahem) look at pictures, that's fine - anything more than that, though, is a waste of time.

Ah yes....  Proxys at the office...  It's like jerking off to alt.binaries.pictures all over again...

Want to loose your job in a hurry?  Keep trying to circumvent the company firewall.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

powen01

• Vuvuzela Spit Cleaner
  • Fukakke Fan Club
    • powen01@yahoo.com
« Reply #830 on: October 23, 2008, 12:36:57 PM »
Once, long ago, when I worked, my company did the usual filtering of questionable sites, email, etc.  They also blocked IM, both local versions and web versions... i.e. if they knew about the Shoutbox, the entire site would be gone.

So I set up a VNC server at home on my pc...  Used to VNC into my box at home, IM, surf, etc.  Didn't even need to install VNC on my work computer, just had to have a Java enabled browser as the server can push you an applet to do everything.  Only two potential issues:  1) connection specific monitoring and 2) screen capture logging.  

Oh yeah, and co-workers wondering what you're doing...  I hate rats.  

Anyway, nothing is left on the work pc in terms of temp files, etc; change the connection ports and your home IP from time to time, and it makes it hard to trace even with logs.  An admin could block a whole set of local IP's if they caught on, but you would have to cause problems (traffic spike, etc.) for them to notice in the first place.  

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #831 on: October 23, 2008, 12:40:06 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on October 23, 2008, 12:34:47 PM
Quote from: Tonker on October 23, 2008, 08:45:11 AM

Ah yes....  Proxys at the office...  It's like jerking off to alt.binaries.pictures all over again...

Want to loose your job in a hurry?  Keep trying to circumvent the company firewall.

This.  Seriously, you're at work like what, 4-5 hours a day?  Wait, that's just me.  Anyway, do your pr0n surfing at home.  Desipio doesn't kill enough time fer ya?

We don't need to increase the 15%.  I may need a loan.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #832 on: October 23, 2008, 12:49:36 PM »
I start telecommuting 2 days/week in November.

Work on 1 PC, Desipio/SBox/pR0n on the other.

You all wish you were me.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #833 on: October 23, 2008, 08:29:47 PM »
Quote from: Fork on October 23, 2008, 12:49:36 PM

Hell, I haven't been in the office for more than 4 hours a day in a few years.  The telecommuting half of the operation isn't all it's cracked up to be, though, as getting the same amount of things done simply takes longer, and doesn't always proceed linearly, allowing work to insinuate itself into all sorts of nooks and crannies spread throughout the day.

Then again, the geniuses who ran the place briefly a spell back managed to aggressively queer a long-standing contract in the name of "expanding the [nonprofit] business," so as of yesterday, I'll basically be going in with nothing to do until the end of November, at which point the "we're really sorry we hired that nitwit" severance kicks in for an entire department.

It's unfortunate, in that I'm probably otherwise unemployable after years of "flex time," but then again, once the last bit of original work was completed my luck seemed to take a dramatic turn for the better, which I'll happily accept in the best synchronistic spirit.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Simmer

• Play Ball
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #834 on: October 23, 2008, 10:05:51 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 23, 2008, 08:29:47 PM
I'm probably otherwise unemployable

If this means more posts from Wheezer then bully for me!

my luck seemed to take a dramatic turn for the better

If this means less posts from Wheezer then phooey on you!
2010 Chicago Cubs
75-87

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #835 on: October 26, 2008, 02:16:02 AM »
OK, this is a real one:  Has anyone used Chicago Emergency Veterinary Services at 3123 North Clybourn?  My eldest cat is looking hypokalemic (potassium), and depending on how things go tonight, I may have to soon make a decision between these guys and the clinic in Homer Glen, which has regular hours on Sunday.

I'd have to take a cab from Hyde Park in any event, so I thought I'd see if anyone could confirm or deny the worth of the operation on Clybourn.  (In particular, whether they are barbiturate-happy.  I'm too old and fractious to argue the issue of casual euthanasia with a vet again.  The cat also seems to have appreciated the extra five years since the last time, for that matter.)
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #836 on: October 26, 2008, 07:11:37 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 23, 2008, 12:49:36 PM

Hell, I haven't been in the office for more than 4 hours a day in a few years.  The telecommuting half of the operation isn't all it's cracked up to be, though, as getting the same amount of things done simply takes longer, and doesn't always proceed linearly, allowing work to insinuate itself into all sorts of nooks and crannies spread throughout the day.

Then again, the geniuses who ran the place briefly a spell back managed to aggressively queer a long-standing contract in the name of "expanding the [nonprofit] business," so as of yesterday, I'll basically be going in with nothing to do until the end of November, at which point the "we're really sorry we hired that nitwit" severance kicks in for an entire department.

It's unfortunate, in that I'm probably otherwise unemployable after years of "flex time," but then again, once the last bit of original work was completed my luck seemed to take a dramatic turn for the better, which I'll happily accept in the best synchronistic spirit.

We've got a pretty nice integrated phone/mail/ticketing system, which works pretty well from home. When I rehabbed my shoulder back in June, I worked from home for few weeks, and got quite a bit done, especially in the area of scripting.

Besides, those days I'll get up at 4:40 instead of 3:40 = WINNAR.
TIME TO POST!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #837 on: October 28, 2008, 05:12:04 PM »
Quote from: Wheezer on October 26, 2008, 02:16:02 AM
OK, this is a real one:  Has anyone used Chicago Emergency Veterinary Services at 3123 North Clybourn? 

I haven't, no.

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #838 on: October 28, 2008, 11:51:03 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 28, 2008, 05:12:04 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on October 26, 2008, 02:16:02 AM
OK, this is a real one:  Has anyone used Chicago Emergency Veterinary Services at 3123 North Clybourn?

I haven't, no.

Fortunately, I can still say that neither have I.  And that the serology is quicker than the eye.

Thrillho

• Out of bed and full of beans!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #839 on: October 29, 2008, 03:41:01 PM »
Anyone have a favorite free FTP client for Windows?

SmartFTP?

FileZilla?

Something else?
FADE IN:

EXT. COUNTRY HWY - DITCH - ESTABLISHING

BOZ
     I'm a...

We zoom in tight on BOZ'S intense fucking eyes

BOZ
           (incredulous)
     ...BANKER?!

SPFX: Something FUCKING explodes! HOLY SHIT!