News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The only site I'll ever need...  ( 635,349 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The only site I'll ever need...
« Reply #3465 on: March 01, 2016, 04:43:18 AM »
I wasn't really looking to be in the car market but a friend wants to buy mine for cash and I'd basically be doing her a favor. Always wanted a convertible, I live in Southern California so why not, and I have a good credit score that should, I would hope, qualify for special offers.

Leaning strongly toward leasing since I owned my last car and will probably want something else in 36 months. BMW 2-series or 4-series, Audi A3 or A5 or TT, or Mercedes SLK? American cars are out. I would consider older but nicer cars on a certified preowned type of deal only if it's really worth the step up in class, size, capability, performance, or whatever. I have an '09 Volvo S40 now if that matters for comparisons' sake.

Or should I just get a sensible 2005 Corolla and quit yappin' about it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3466 on: March 01, 2016, 05:32:14 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 01, 2016, 04:43:18 AM
I wasn't really looking to be in the car market but a friend wants to buy mine for cash and I'd basically be doing her a favor. Always wanted a convertible, I live in Southern California so why not, and I have a good credit score that should, I would hope, qualify for special offers.

Leaning strongly toward leasing since I owned my last car and will probably want something else in 36 months. BMW 2-series or 4-series, Audi A3 or A5 or TT, or Mercedes SLK? American cars are out. I would consider older but nicer cars on a certified preowned type of deal only if it's really worth the step up in class, size, capability, performance, or whatever. I have an '09 Volvo S40 now if that matters for comparisons' sake.

Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3467 on: March 01, 2016, 07:19:06 AM »

I'm terrified of living in Southern California with a leased car.  I can imagine going about 10K over the allotted mileage over three years of my lease.  Everything seems so far away from anything else.  Not to mention if you're shopping in that class of car, I'd imagine a pre-owned certified would be the way to go.  How could keep yourself from driving up and down the coast in one of those as often as possible.

On the other hand, about a year into a lease of any car like that, you'll start getting all sorts of offers to trade in earlier.  I'm not sure how the mileage would work out but if you continue to lease, you can drive a new car every 18-24 months if you were so inclined.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3468 on: March 01, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »
Tesla Model 3 goes on pre-order at the end of the month.
M'lady.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3469 on: March 01, 2016, 09:13:15 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on March 01, 2016, 07:48:29 AM

Unless it's an absolute lemon, this will replace my current ride. But with a 200 mile range, it's better than the Volt or Leaf, but it could get frustrating if you do drive a significant number of miles a week. For me, I could plug it into the supercharger at Old Orchard once a week or so and have a full charge in the time it takes to hit Shake Shack.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #3470 on: March 01, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on March 01, 2016, 09:13:15 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on March 01, 2016, 07:48:29 AM

Unless it's an absolute lemon, this will replace my current ride. But with a 200 mile range, it's better than the Volt or Leaf, but it could get frustrating if you do drive a significant number of miles a week. For me, I could plug it into the supercharger at Old Orchard once a week or so and have a full charge in the time it takes to hit Shake Shack.

I'll be buying this as well. Trying to talk my wife into it, as we also want to rebuild our house sometime in the next few years, and it might be tough to afford both.
M'lady.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3471 on: March 01, 2016, 09:45:49 AM »

Go full metal Kardashian and get a G Wagon.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3472 on: March 03, 2016, 03:02:37 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on March 01, 2016, 07:19:06 AM

I'm terrified of living in Southern California with a leased car.  I can imagine going about 10K over the allotted mileage over three years of my lease.  Everything seems so far away from anything else.  Not to mention if you're shopping in that class of car, I'd imagine a pre-owned certified would be the way to go.  How could keep yourself from driving up and down the coast in one of those as often as possible.

On the other hand, about a year into a lease of any car like that, you'll start getting all sorts of offers to trade in earlier.  I'm not sure how the mileage would work out but if you continue to lease, you can drive a new car every 18-24 months if you were so inclined.

You make good points. Would 10k or 12k be enough? Those are the max options. I don't think I want to buy unless and until I'm getting something really nice and durable I'd want to keep. Like I can see buying another Volvo, SUV this time, for moving around stuff that doesn't fit in a softtop and/or schlepping visitors and friends up to Santa Barbara, but rotating through sportier cars more frequently until I find one I really like.

I'd be interested in those early trade offers. I think my current preference list is:
1. BMW M235i (quick 0-60, great reviews, seems the most fun to drive of anything in this segment that's not from Porsche, I don't really need much of a backseat)
2. BMW 428i/435i (more of a tourer than a sports car, has a hardtop, more livable back seats)
3. Audi TT (the new one is interesting and sounds fun to drive)
4. Mercedes SLK (really expensive compared to its competitors, has a cool glass roof, also more of a tourer but I like its looks and secretly pine for an SL - they look very similar)
5. Audi A5 (good, but at the same prices as the BMW it doesn't make much sense to pay the same for less car unless you really like Audi -- plus I've been told it's a stereotypical "lawyer car," not that BMWs aren't, but I have been seeing a ton of A5s around here lately)
6. Audi A3 (makes even less sense than the A5, given the BMW 2 series exists, and doesn't really compete on price very well)
7. Drumpf Shitbird: Gold Edition (GPS directs you off the nearest cliff, where you will land on top of unsuspecting minorities -- a sensor automatically detonates the fuel tank if no explosion detected)

The base model Porsche Boxster is also at the top of my price range but from the reviews I've read, it's pretty bare-bones and you have to add a lot of options to even come close to the others' features. The BMWs are very fairly priced (on par or even cheaper than some comparable Audis), well equipped, and have very good reviews. Seems like more bang for the buck. And it's expensive as shit to insure a Boxster and an obese teacher lady at my high school ruined them for me by having one and treating it like a big lumbering Bentley. A Boxster in central Illinois, where it's decent convertible weather maybe two months out of the year and you have no open air to enjoy except miles and miles of manure. What a ridiculous choice.

I still can't shake the feeling this is the most #firstworldproblems thing I've ever posted, but if you know cars and have thoughts I'd appreciate it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3473 on: March 03, 2016, 03:08:08 AM »
Quote from: flannj on March 01, 2016, 09:45:49 AM

Go full metal Kardashian and get a G Wagon.

I could also go full Jenner and kill somebody on the PCH and be celebrated ever since, because who cares, it was just some gross poor anyway.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3474 on: March 03, 2016, 07:45:40 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 03, 2016, 03:02:37 AM
Quote from: Oleg on March 01, 2016, 07:19:06 AM

I'm terrified of living in Southern California with a leased car.  I can imagine going about 10K over the allotted mileage over three years of my lease.  Everything seems so far away from anything else.  Not to mention if you're shopping in that class of car, I'd imagine a pre-owned certified would be the way to go.  How could keep yourself from driving up and down the coast in one of those as often as possible.

On the other hand, about a year into a lease of any car like that, you'll start getting all sorts of offers to trade in earlier.  I'm not sure how the mileage would work out but if you continue to lease, you can drive a new car every 18-24 months if you were so inclined.

You make good points. Would 10k or 12k be enough? Those are the max options. I don't think I want to buy unless and until I'm getting something really nice and durable I'd want to keep. Like I can see buying another Volvo, SUV this time, for moving around stuff that doesn't fit in a softtop and/or schlepping visitors and friends up to Santa Barbara, but rotating through sportier cars more frequently until I find one I really like.

I'd be interested in those early trade offers. I think my current preference list is:
1. BMW M235i (quick 0-60, great reviews, seems the most fun to drive of anything in this segment that's not from Porsche, I don't really need much of a backseat)
2. BMW 428i/435i (more of a tourer than a sports car, has a hardtop, more livable back seats)
3. Audi TT (the new one is interesting and sounds fun to drive)
4. Mercedes SLK (really expensive compared to its competitors, has a cool glass roof, also more of a tourer but I like its looks and secretly pine for an SL - they look very similar)
5. Audi A5 (good, but at the same prices as the BMW it doesn't make much sense to pay the same for less car unless you really like Audi -- plus I've been told it's a stereotypical "lawyer car," not that BMWs aren't, but I have been seeing a ton of A5s around here lately)
6. Audi A3 (makes even less sense than the A5, given the BMW 2 series exists, and doesn't really compete on price very well)
7. Drumpf Shitbird: Gold Edition (GPS directs you off the nearest cliff, where you will land on top of unsuspecting minorities -- a sensor automatically detonates the fuel tank if no explosion detected)

The base model Porsche Boxster is also at the top of my price range but from the reviews I've read, it's pretty bare-bones and you have to add a lot of options to even come close to the others' features. The BMWs are very fairly priced (on par or even cheaper than some comparable Audis), well equipped, and have very good reviews. Seems like more bang for the buck. And it's expensive as shit to insure a Boxster and an obese teacher lady at my high school ruined them for me by having one and treating it like a big lumbering Bentley. A Boxster in central Illinois, where it's decent convertible weather maybe two months out of the year and you have no open air to enjoy except miles and miles of manure. What a ridiculous choice.

I still can't shake the feeling this is the most #firstworldproblems thing I've ever posted, but if you know cars and have thoughts I'd appreciate it.

As far as the actual car goes, I have almost no opinion other than...don't buy a base model of anything.  That just seems like no fun.  I guess having a Porche would be fun all that shit but if you can't get the bells and whistles, even that'll get boring.

Only you can guess how much you would drive.  Like I said, having a fun car in Southern California would probably make me drive it even more.

And, yes.  This is about the greatest #firstworldproblems post ever.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3475 on: March 03, 2016, 02:08:09 PM »

I drive a 2005 Corolla and it's extremely sensible. I am being 100% earnest here.

I've worked at non-profits for my entire professional career, so you probably don't need to do what I do.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3476 on: March 03, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 03, 2016, 02:08:09 PM

I drive a 2005 Corolla and it's extremely sensible. I am being 100% earnest here.

I've worked at non-profits for my entire professional career, so you probably don't need to do what I do.

My family (well, my dad and brother) has been a Toyota family since 1982, and they never seem to complain.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3477 on: March 03, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »
Quote from: Bort on March 03, 2016, 02:23:40 PM

My family (well, my dad and brother) has been a Toyota family since 1982, and they never seem to complain.

Toyotas and Hondas, drive 'em into the ground (and then keep driving). It's the no-frills German Lutheran way.

It probably helps that I've never been all that into cars, but I will admit to being awfully tempted by all the Tesla Model 3 talk.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3478 on: March 03, 2016, 03:26:25 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 03, 2016, 02:58:43 PM
Quote from: Bort on March 03, 2016, 02:23:40 PM

Toyotas and Hondas, drive 'em into the ground (and then keep driving). It's the no-frills German Lutheran way.

It probably helps that I've never been all that into cars, but I will admit to being awfully tempted by all the Tesla Model 3 talk.

Literally the only car I've ever had (I didn't really ever have to drive until a few years ago) is a hand-me down from my wife.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3479 on: March 03, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
Don't ask me, I'm one of those sick bastards who actually wanted a minivan and it's the probably one of the top 5 purchases I've made in my adult life.