News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 550,855 )

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #1005 on: May 01, 2008, 06:29:58 PM »
Quote from: TJ on May 01, 2008, 05:35:27 PM
I just remember reading somewhere that the length and size of the contract wasn't an issue.
Read closer. I didn't care about the dollars.

The Tribune didn't care about the length.

I care deeply about the length of a moop like Soriano's contract.

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1006 on: May 01, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »
Quote from: Chuckosan on May 01, 2008, 06:29:58 PM
Read closer. I didn't care about the dollars.

The Tribune didn't care about the length.

I care deeply about the length of a moop like Soriano's contract.

Still, you said:

QuoteWe've been shouted down that the Cubs do spend enough, the just don't spend it wisely. The Soriano Signing pretty much shoves a big can of STFU down the "Wisely" camp's throats.

Sounds as if you thought it was "wise."

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1007 on: May 01, 2008, 07:55:03 PM »
Quote from: The Paul Popovich Experience on May 01, 2008, 04:53:19 PM
Quote from: Mike D on May 01, 2008, 04:46:57 PM
Long season.

I'll say this though--Soriano and his drunken-polar-bear-on-a-unicycle act needs to be taken down for defense in later innings.  No need having that clown with an irrelevant glove stapled to his hand out there in a  close games.

How Cub that the Soriano signing is looking a HUGE, Hampton-esque, Zito-esque FA disaster right about now. Ugh. That 40/40 season in Washington is already a distant memory.

Jesus Christ. The guy hit about 12 homers last September and carried the team to a division title. He's been banged up and he's been bad alot. But fuck that Hampton/Zito shit. Fuck it til it bleeds through both nostrils.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1008 on: May 02, 2008, 09:18:57 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on May 01, 2008, 03:23:39 PM
Bernie Dickless is at it again today in his Post-Dispatch blog:

"I write this on Thursday, in anticipation of the renewal of the funtastic Cubs-Cardinals rivalry.

And this one is easy to frame: all the pressure in the world is on the Cubs. The Cardinals have nothing to lose. According to the national baseball punditry, the Cardinals were supposed to be an also-ran this season, far up the track, and a hideous representation of a MLB team. They were buried under 4th place, 5th place, predictions. Even the august publication, the Chicago Tribune, marked the Cardinals down for a 69-93 season.

Instead, the Cardinals won 18 games in April and emerged as a first-month surprise with their refurbished, budget-conscious roster. Sure, the Cardinals have much to prove, and they'll be facing better competition and a more difficult schedule.

But so what? The Cardinals have nothing to lose. They aren't supposed to be a factor in this. They can delightfully play the role of pest, nuisance, underdogs.

The Cub$, meanwhile, have been on a spending frenzy for the last two years, trying to become the NY Yankees of the National League as they handed out around $500 million in free-agent deals or contract extensions in an effort to win big, and as soon as possible.

The latest Cub$ purchase was the splendid Japanese outfielder, Fukudome, who signed for 4 years, $48 million over the winter. That contract went into the top-dollar file along with the previous deals for Alfonso Soriano ($136 million), Carlos Zambrano ($91.5 million), Aramis Ramirez ($75 million), Derrek Lee ($65 million), Ted Lilly ($40 million), Jason Marquis ($21 million) and Mark DeRosa ($13 million).

Hey, but at least the Cardinals countered with Cesar Izturis...

The Cubs have a helluva team. They've spruced up their one weakness, a lack of plate discipline. They're drawing walks, getting on base, setting up a feast of RBI opportunities for the big fellas. Going into Thursday's game against Milwaukee, the Cubs (.375) had a one-point lead over the Cardinals for the best onbase percentage in the NL. The lineup is loaded with OBP machines, including Lee (.437), Ramirez (.411), Fukudome (.436), Geovany Soto (.427), DeRosa (.416), Ryan Theriot (.396) and Reed Johnson (.379).

Soriano has just returned from the DL — and oddly enough, his free-swinging ways may actually have a nominal negative impact on a lineup that's been taking a lot of intelligent at-bats. He had a mediocre OBP of .337 at the top of the lineup card last season, and was stuck at an OBP of .230 when injured last month.

Anyway, the Cubs definitely have one of the best teams in the NL, and there's no reason why they shouldn't have a strong season. And why not? There are no excuses for the North Siders. When you spend $500 million in 24 months, you'd better have great players, and you'd better get impressive results. And the Cub$ have assembled a very impressive roster, which is being guided by a proven winner in second-year manager Lou Piniella.

It's going to be fascinating to see if the Cardinals can keep up with the best ATM in the NL Central."

I sent an e-mail response that was a little tame because I sent it from work. However, I pointed out that none of the St. Louis minions whined about money when the Cardinals outspent the Cubs in 2000, 2001 (by a whopping $14 million), 2003, and 2005. And his characterization of the Cubs as "NY Yankees of the National League is a little off seeing how the Cubs are THIRD in the NL in payroll (by the way, the White Sox are fifth in MLB at $121.2 mil and the Cubs eighth at $118.3, with the Cardinals in at 11th).

Check out his response I got at 3:10 this morning. I'm not sure if he's trying to insinuate that he makes a lot of money or what, but it's kinda stupid:

Cubs win -- I'm paid the same.
Cardinals win -- I'm paid the same.

From: Bohnenkamp, David [DOC] [mailto:David.Bohnenkamp@iowa.gov]
Sent: Thu 5/1/2008 3:03 PM
To: Bernie Miklasz
Subject: It's been the Cardinal$ recently, too

So it was OK for the Cardinals to be outspending the Cubs in 2000, 2001 (by $14 million), 2003, and 2005, but you can write all the snide comments you want when the Trib finally starts acting like a large-market team and finally puts some of their moldy money back on the field? Everything was fine for the Cardinals' minions when they were handing out long-term deals to Rolen and Pujols, but as soon as one of those contracts became an albatross and the owners puckered up with the purse strings, it becomes fashionable to bash the teams who spend money. Get over it and quit trying to be a homer.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1009 on: May 02, 2008, 09:25:15 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on May 02, 2008, 09:18:57 AM
Check out his response I got at 3:10 this morning. I'm not sure if he's trying to insinuate that he makes a lot of money or what, but it's kinda stupid:

So it was OK for the Cardinals to be outspending the Cubs in 2000, 2001 (by $14 million), 2003, and 2005, but you can write all the snide comments you want when the Trib finally starts acting like a large-market team and finally puts some of their moldy money back on the field? Everything was fine for the Cardinals' minions when they were handing out long-term deals to Rolen and Pujols, but as soon as one of those contracts became an albatross and the owners puckered up with the purse strings, it becomes fashionable to bash the teams who spend money. Get over it and quit trying to be a homer.

I think he's trying to insinuate that he has no reason to be a homer.  Which may or may not be true.  I never read the guy.

Either way, yea, the response is kinda stupid.

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1010 on: May 02, 2008, 09:41:38 AM »
Aw, damn it.

QuoteBrewers designate Turnbow for assignment
The Milwaukee Brewers today designated relief pitcher Derrick Turnbow for assignment.

In a corresponding move, Joe Dillon was recalled from Class AAA Nashville.

Dillon will be in uniform tonight when the Brewers play the Houston Astros.

Turnbow was an all-star closer for the Brewers in 2006 and pitched well for the most part last season in a set-up role, but has become increasingly unreliable this year. His low point came Wednesday night when Yost sent him to pitch the eighth inning with the Cubs leading, 13-5.

Turnbow was unable to get out of the inning, surrendering six runs on four hits and four walks, forcing Yost to use left-hander Mitch Stetter to get the third out in the 19-5 loss. That meltdown came on the heels of an outing Sunday against Florida in which Turnbow failed to retire any of the three hitters he faced (two walks, single).

The numbers tell the story of how awful Turnbow has been. In eight outings, he is 0-1 with a 15.63 earned run average, allowing 12 hits, 13 walks and 11 runs in 6 1/3 innings. Opponents are batting .414 against him.

Taylor2

• Taylor2. Now with more sarcastic venom.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1011 on: May 02, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
Quote from: Slaky+ on May 02, 2008, 09:41:38 AM
Aw, damn it.

The Milwaukee Brewers today designated relief pitcher Derrick Turnbow for assignment.

Turnbow was an all-star closer for the Brewers in 2006 and pitched well for the most part last season in a set-up role, but has become increasingly unreliable this year. His low point came Wednesday night when Yost sent him to pitch the eighth inning with the Cubs leading, 13-5.

Turnbow was unable to get out of the inning, surrendering six runs on four hits and four walks, forcing Yost to use left-hander Mitch Stetter to get the third out in the 19-5 loss. That meltdown came on the heels of an outing Sunday against Florida in which Turnbow failed to retire any of the three hitters he faced (two walks, single).

The numbers tell the story of how awful Turnbow has been. In eight outings, he is 0-1 with a 15.63 earned run average, allowing 12 hits, 13 walks and 11 runs in 6 1/3 innings. Opponents are batting .414 against him.

This is terrible news. Hopefully he can be a nice reclamation project somewhere else. Like St. Louis.
01/20/2013

Chuckosan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1012 on: May 02, 2008, 10:09:51 AM »
Quote from: EG on May 01, 2008, 07:27:12 PM
Sounds as if you thought it was "wise."
It's the years, honey.  Not the dollars.

TJ

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1013 on: May 02, 2008, 10:10:02 AM »
I think Dusty likes how he has experience against the NL Central.

I hate this news more than any of you. He was the closer for the Maldonado Candies of the Neifi Perez League.

Mike Douche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1014 on: May 02, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on May 02, 2008, 09:18:57 AM
Quote from: Dave B on May 01, 2008, 03:23:39 PM
Bernie Dickless is at it again today in his Post-Dispatch blog:

"I write this on Thursday, in anticipation of the renewal of the funtastic Cubs-Cardinals rivalry.

And this one is easy to frame: all the pressure in the world is on the Cubs. The Cardinals have nothing to lose. According to the national baseball punditry, the Cardinals were supposed to be an also-ran this season, far up the track, and a hideous representation of a MLB team. They were buried under 4th place, 5th place, predictions. Even the august publication, the Chicago Tribune, marked the Cardinals down for a 69-93 season.

Instead, the Cardinals won 18 games in April and emerged as a first-month surprise with their refurbished, budget-conscious roster. Sure, the Cardinals have much to prove, and they'll be facing better competition and a more difficult schedule.

But so what? The Cardinals have nothing to lose. They aren't supposed to be a factor in this. They can delightfully play the role of pest, nuisance, underdogs.

The Cub$, meanwhile, have been on a spending frenzy for the last two years, trying to become the NY Yankees of the National League as they handed out around $500 million in free-agent deals or contract extensions in an effort to win big, and as soon as possible.

The latest Cub$ purchase was the splendid Japanese outfielder, Fukudome, who signed for 4 years, $48 million over the winter. That contract went into the top-dollar file along with the previous deals for Alfonso Soriano ($136 million), Carlos Zambrano ($91.5 million), Aramis Ramirez ($75 million), Derrek Lee ($65 million), Ted Lilly ($40 million), Jason Marquis ($21 million) and Mark DeRosa ($13 million).

Hey, but at least the Cardinals countered with Cesar Izturis...

The Cubs have a helluva team. They've spruced up their one weakness, a lack of plate discipline. They're drawing walks, getting on base, setting up a feast of RBI opportunities for the big fellas. Going into Thursday's game against Milwaukee, the Cubs (.375) had a one-point lead over the Cardinals for the best onbase percentage in the NL. The lineup is loaded with OBP machines, including Lee (.437), Ramirez (.411), Fukudome (.436), Geovany Soto (.427), DeRosa (.416), Ryan Theriot (.396) and Reed Johnson (.379).

Soriano has just returned from the DL — and oddly enough, his free-swinging ways may actually have a nominal negative impact on a lineup that's been taking a lot of intelligent at-bats. He had a mediocre OBP of .337 at the top of the lineup card last season, and was stuck at an OBP of .230 when injured last month.

Anyway, the Cubs definitely have one of the best teams in the NL, and there's no reason why they shouldn't have a strong season. And why not? There are no excuses for the North Siders. When you spend $500 million in 24 months, you'd better have great players, and you'd better get impressive results. And the Cub$ have assembled a very impressive roster, which is being guided by a proven winner in second-year manager Lou Piniella.

It's going to be fascinating to see if the Cardinals can keep up with the best ATM in the NL Central."

I sent an e-mail response that was a little tame because I sent it from work. However, I pointed out that none of the St. Louis minions whined about money when the Cardinals outspent the Cubs in 2000, 2001 (by a whopping $14 million), 2003, and 2005. And his characterization of the Cubs as "NY Yankees of the National League is a little off seeing how the Cubs are THIRD in the NL in payroll (by the way, the White Sox are fifth in MLB at $121.2 mil and the Cubs eighth at $118.3, with the Cardinals in at 11th).

Nice work, Dave. 
FIRE EVERYBODY!

EG

• Editor, The 3 A.M. Assumptive Reader's Review of the Perfect Verses.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1015 on: May 02, 2008, 10:19:58 AM »
Aw, damn it.

I like saying it, so, "I told you so."

Slaky+

• An Original SSM Founding Father
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1016 on: May 02, 2008, 10:26:50 AM »
Quote from: EG on April 30, 2008, 10:43:46 PM
The Cubs probably hurt themselves tonight, since this performance may get Turnbow cut. 

Well done.

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #1017 on: May 02, 2008, 10:43:27 AM »
Aw, damn it.

This is a disheartening fucking situation.

The Big Cheese

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #1018 on: May 02, 2008, 11:32:01 AM »
worst news I've heard all day.

hopefully another non-Cubs nl central team will see his potential

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1019 on: May 02, 2008, 01:36:43 PM »

"It's going to be fascinating to see if the Cardinals can keep up with the best ATM in the NL Central."

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nice work, Dave. 
[/quote]

My response:
True. Recently, I had given you credit for pointing out some of the Cardinals' shortcomings and all of the hoopla surrounding the LaRussa/Rolen debacle. Heck, it was to the point where you were Switzerland compared to Jeff Gordon's cheerleading stories about the Redbirds every day. Granted, the Chicago media is overly negative and I'm used to daily whines about who is leading off, who the fifth starter will be, who will the closer be, blah, blah, blah. But with the "Cub$" piece you are back to catering to the red-clad numbskulls who obsess over what the Cubs are doing. How soon they forget that they threw gobs of money at Pujols, Rolen, and Carpenter, and also outspent the Cubs four times in seven years. I'm sure the Cardinals would have taken serious runs at Lieber, Reed Johnson, and Fukudome in past years (or they would wait around and let some dumb GM hand them McGwire, Edmonds, Rolen, Larry Walker, Woody Williams and others for virtually nothing in return). Heck, Johnson and Fukudome would be in the Cardinals' starting line-up, and Lieber would probably be a third starter (though Gordo would have us believe that the current rotation and all of the pitchers on the DL make up the greatest pitching staff in recent history). But the owners got their new stadium with high-price suites and "premium" seats (at least three times the number Wrigley has), sold a boat-load of season tickets, and have tightened their purse strings somewhat. It's not the Cubs fault that the Cardinals' minor league system was one of the worst in baseball for the past ten years, thus crippling them when it comes to making deals. And it's not the Cubs fault that they've finally decided to spend some money while the Cardinals have a large percentage of their payroll wrapped up in Pujols, Carpenter, and Glaus. The Cubs are EIGHTH in MLB payroll in 2008, and THIRD in the NL, which hardly makes them they Yankees of the Senior Circuit.

I hope the Cubs win and I hope you get paid, too. But don't let the so-called "best fans in baseball" dumb you down and forget the Cardinals' recent spending sprees.   
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass