News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.  ( 550,566 )

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: "Turd Throw" and other stories from the rancid NLC.
« Reply #1965 on: March 21, 2009, 01:13:43 PM »
Quote from: Tank on February 28, 2009, 03:27:04 PM
Quote from: LoneStarCubFan on February 28, 2009, 02:47:41 PM
Quote from: BH on February 28, 2009, 11:55:39 AM
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs have agreed to terms with Corey Koskie on a minor league contract.
Koskie hasn't played in the majors since 2006, when he hit .261/.343/.490 in 257 at-bats for the Brewers. He has been cleared to play once again after battling post-concussion syndrome for a few years. He'll compete for a backup job on the Cubs.
Source: Chicago Sun-Times

If he's got anything left in the tank he'd be a great back-up for Ramirez.

Korey Kosuke?

I'm not sure how comfortable I am with this...

He's not comfortable with it either.

QuoteCorey Koskie met with the beat writers for about a half-hour this morning. The long and short of it is that he's calling off his baseball comeback.

I do not look forward to Aaron Miles manning the hot corner when Aramis isn't playing.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1966 on: March 21, 2009, 02:15:54 PM »
Quote from: RV on March 21, 2009, 01:13:43 PM
According to the Chicago Sun-Times, the Cubs have agreed to terms with Corey Koskie on a minor league contract.
Koskie hasn't played in the majors since 2006, when he hit .261/.343/.490 in 257 at-bats for the Brewers. He has been cleared to play once again after battling post-concussion syndrome for a few years. He'll compete for a backup job on the Cubs.

Korey Kosuke?

QuoteCorey Koskie met with the beat writers for about a half-hour this morning. The long and short of it is that he's calling off his baseball comeback.

I do not look forward to Aaron Miles manning the hot corner when Aramis isn't playing.

I thought the plan was for Fontenot to play third when Rammy was out with Miles taking 2nd. That's not exactly Murderer's Row but not many teams have great solutions for subbing their best hitter in and out. Let's just hope Rammy stays healthy.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

RD

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #1967 on: March 22, 2009, 05:53:50 AM »
Quote from: RV on March 21, 2009, 01:13:43 PM

Korey Kosuke?

He is, however, apparently a vampire or something, as he plans on another seventy or so years of life

QuoteYeah, baseball is great, but you have the next two-thirds of your life to look at here.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-21-cubs-bits-chicago-mar21,0,7520823.story

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1970 on: March 23, 2009, 02:50:54 PM »
Brewers 3B (and apparent asst. GM) told Peter Gammons that he expects his team to pursue Jake Peavy if he's made available during the summer. Wonder if Peavy would approve a trade to Milwaukee.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1971 on: March 23, 2009, 02:51:30 PM »
Quote from: Ivy6 on March 23, 2009, 02:39:29 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/8590096/14180516

Heh.

Pure awesomeness. Cecil Cooper might give DFB competition for dumbest manager in the NLC, or the Genious competition for drunkest.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1972 on: March 23, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »
Quote from: BH on March 23, 2009, 02:47:14 PM

Heh.

Danny Knobler is gorgeous.

Dreamy...

I guess Houston should be fine as long as those damn hurricanes don't go spoiling things for them again. It's always somethin!

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1973 on: March 23, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »
Quote from: Fork on March 23, 2009, 02:51:30 PM

Heh.

Pure awesomeness. Cecil Cooper might give DFB competition for dumbest manager in the NLC, or the Genious competition for drunkest.

I like his statement about having THE ace of the National League.

Still, no one can top Dusty.  This is from just a few weeks ago:

Quote"We have a whole wall full of guys who at one time were good players expected to be star-caliber players," said Baker. "You look at Jonny Gomes - he was almost rookie of the year. There is Jacque Jones, a star at USC and a big-time player at Minnesota just a couple of years ago. Look at Darnell McDonald - a first round draft pick (Baltimore, 1997). Then there is Laynce Nix - he was a high-round draft pick (Rangers, fourth round, 2000).

"At any give time or day, they could play like they were touted," said Baker. "It is just a matter of if they can put it all together for an extended period of time. I keep looking for a guy like (Ryan) Ludwick - a No. 1 draft pick and highly touted and it took him a while, four or five organizations, then 'bam,' he got it. And it's possible. Because if it is in there, it's in there. They just have to get it out."

Bonus quote:
Quote"I asked him if he was OK and he said he was," said Baker. "But I noticed a funny gait as he ran to first base. He just has to get it out of his head. You tell somebody to quit limping and it's like your mother telling you to quit scratching."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1974 on: March 23, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1975 on: March 23, 2009, 04:11:52 PM »
Quote from: Eli on March 23, 2009, 03:03:49 PM

Heh.

Quote"We have a whole wall full of guys who at one time were good players expected to be star-caliber players," said Baker. "You look at Jonny Gomes - he was almost rookie of the year. There is Jacque Jones, a star at USC and a big-time player at Minnesota just a couple of years ago. Look at Darnell McDonald - a first round draft pick (Baltimore, 1997). Then there is Laynce Nix - he was a high-round draft pick (Rangers, fourth round, 2000).

"At any give time or day, they could play like they were touted," said Baker. "It is just a matter of if they can put it all together for an extended period of time. I keep looking for a guy like (Ryan) Ludwick - a No. 1 draft pick and highly touted and it took him a while, four or five organizations, then 'bam,' he got it. And it's possible. Because if it is in there, it's in there. They just have to get it out."

Bonus quote:
Quote"I asked him if he was OK and he said he was," said Baker. "But I noticed a funny gait as he ran to first base. He just has to get it out of his head. You tell somebody to quit limping and it's like your mother telling you to quit scratching."

Thank you so much for that link.
Hire Jim Essian!

LoneStarCubFan

« Reply #1976 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on March 23, 2009, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: Eli on March 23, 2009, 03:03:49 PM

Heh.

Bonus quote:

Thank you so much for that link.

I Fucking Love Dusty Baker.

RV

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #1977 on: March 25, 2009, 08:32:54 AM »
Maybe this guy can give the Cubs some advice on surviving sneak attacks.

QuoteOn 6 August 1945, he was in Hiroshima, preparing to return home from a business trip when the American B-29 bomber, the Enola Gay, dropped an atomic bomb on the city. Yamaguchi lived, while 140,000 other people who were in the city that morning died, some in an agonising instant, others many months later.

Burned and barely able to comprehend what had happened - only that he had witnessed a bomb unlike any used before - Yamaguchi spent a fitful night in an air raid shelter before returning home the following day.

That home, 180 miles to the west, was Nagasaki. His arrival came the day before it was devastated by a second US atomic bomb on 9 August.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/25/hiroshima-nagasaki-survivor-japan

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1978 on: March 25, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
Jose Tabata's wife was questioned Tuesday on charges of taking an infant and could be charged with false imprisonment.
Amalia Tabata Pereira, 43, allegedly abducted the infant Monday afternoon and reportedly turned the child, who was safe, in to the Manatee County Sheriff's Office on Tuesday afternoon. "I was shocked to be told today that my wife has been arrested for kidnapping," Tabata said in a statement. "I am hurt, frustrated and confused by her actions. I have and will continue to cooperate with law enforcement officials in any way that I can. Until I have all of the facts, I cannot comment any further." That the 20-year-old Tabata is married to a 43-year-old is one of the oddities that has led baseball personel to question his makeup. However, this borders on the unbelievable. Plant City police Capt. Darrell Wilson indicated that Pereira has a criminal record that includes theft and fraud convictions and that police did not have a hometown for her because she has several aliases. Mar. 25 - 3:05 am et
Source: Pirates.mlb.com

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #1979 on: March 25, 2009, 11:46:03 AM »
Jose Tabata was my first round pick in our rotisserie league's Minor League draft last week.  I should have done more background work.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)